Singapore Expats Forum

Medical Exam

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

cmonkeyhiney

Medical Exam

Postby cmonkeyhiney » Thu, 29 Sep 2005 11:14 pm

I got a job offer to work in Singapore. I'm just worried about the medical exam. I was told that it will be taken in Singapore. Does anybody here have an idea what kinds of tests are given? HIV, TB, etc. I'm worried because I had thyroidectomy a few years back and it's a little larger than usual. Will it have an effect?

ringo100
Chatter
Chatter

Medical

Postby ringo100 » Fri, 30 Sep 2005 12:00 am

As far as I know you don't need any medical. I never had one and no one I know has had to have one. Maybe this is soley for your company. But I am only an EP and not a PR.

cmonkeyhiney

Postby cmonkeyhiney » Fri, 30 Sep 2005 4:48 pm

Are u permanent or contractual? My offer is for permanent also EP. I'm really worried. I'm afraid that they'd reject me once I'm in Singapore. I'd have to bring back all my stuff plus I'd be losing my current job for this. It's too risky.

ringo100
Chatter
Chatter

Medical

Postby ringo100 » Fri, 30 Sep 2005 5:01 pm

I'm a permenant EP. no contract. No medical. Why not just them if you need one.

maruma

Be sure of yourself

Postby maruma » Fri, 30 Sep 2005 10:57 pm

Where you from my friend? Undergoing pre-employment medical check-up is a prerogative of a company...
Others do not require, however, if you are going to work in a manufacturing set-up I am sure that they will first ensure that you are fit to work. And they are strict on this matter.

My advice to you is to undergo check-up in your homeland in order to have an assessment of your condition. If the doctor says you are fit as horse, pack your bags and head to Merlion. 8)
Hot heads and cold hearts never solved anything.

maruma

Be sure of yourself

Postby maruma » Fri, 30 Sep 2005 10:59 pm

Where you from my friend? Undergoing pre-employment medical check-up is a prerogative of a company...
Others do not require, however, if you are going to work in a manufacturing set-up I am sure that they will first ensure that you are fit to work. And they are strict on this matter.

My advice to you is to undergo check-up in your homeland in order to have an assessment of your condition. If the doctor says you are fit as horse, pack your bags and head to Merlion. 8)
Hot heads and cold hearts never solved anything.

Nijntje

Postby Nijntje » Mon, 10 Oct 2005 8:49 am

Hi,

A medical was not compulsory for me to come to Singapore but I did have to sign a health declaration for my EP to say I was not HIV+ / a hepatitis carrier. However, since my company insisted on a ridiculously through, 3-hour long medical, I could sign this with all confidence.....

cmonkeyhiney

Postby cmonkeyhiney » Tue, 11 Oct 2005 12:32 pm

I heard about the tests regarding HIV and HEPA. There was no mention about Goiter though. I hope it would not be counted against me.