Singapore Expats Forum

visa run or extension???

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

pan100

visa run or extension???

Postby pan100 » Tue, 27 Sep 2005 5:10 am

My one month short visa pass will end in 2 weeks, i would like to extend it. Is it better to extend it or to do a visa run to malaysia and come back.
I have a British passport, will there be difficulity?

Please advise.

Sam :-|

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Postby k1w1 » Tue, 27 Sep 2005 8:28 am

Depending on why you are extending, it might be better to go into immigration. If you are waiting on your EP for example, it might be better. When you go to Malaysia you only get two weeks, I think. I think Brits get 30 days normally.

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Baron Greenback » Tue, 27 Sep 2005 10:41 am

You can just cross the border & go to JB for a day, but as kiwi said you will only get 2 week visa on return. If you go further afield you will get 1 month. You can to the JB trip as often as you like but they will get suspicious & stop you after a few times.

If you want to stay longer find a local friend to sponsor you on a long term social visa & then you get 6 months.
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

beenhere10years
Chatter
Chatter

Postby beenhere10years » Tue, 27 Sep 2005 10:44 am

I thought the distinction was what sort of transport you take leaving Singapore: 14 days extention by car/bus/motorbike and 30 days by airplane.
Last edited by beenhere10years on Tue, 27 Sep 2005 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When you go in for a job interview, I think a good thing to ask is if they ever press charges.

-- jack handy

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Tue, 27 Sep 2005 11:37 am

beenhere10years wrote:I thought the distiction was what sort of transport you take leaving Singapore: 14 days extention by car/bus/motorbike and 30 days by airplane.

Totally up to the immigration authorities. I'd gotten 90 days each time I went to Bintan (US passport), a Brit friend of mine got 30, and I see that other Brits who posted here only got 14. I'll bet that if you had an airplane ticket out 30 days from now a Brit could probably sweet talk them into giving 30 days.