Singapore Expats Forum

Describe your favorite journey*

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

beenhere10years
Chatter
Chatter

Describe your favorite journey*

Postby beenhere10years » Sun, 25 Sep 2005 10:13 am

I think mine is when I turn down the first dirt road on my way to my house in the US. Then I know I'm a mile from home. The trees overhead, the quiet, the anticipation. And of course if the big dog is there with me, then its even better. My journey home after a long time away. That's my favorite.

*question ruthlessly pilfered from Vanity Fair magazine
When you go in for a job interview, I think a good thing to ask is if they ever press charges.

-- jack handy

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Sun, 25 Sep 2005 10:46 am

The journey home indeed is probably the best one could hope for.

On the other hand, I have always liked what Lao Tse said: "The true essence of travelling is not in arriving at a destination, but in the travelling itself."

For me it would be the journey that Paul Theroux described like no one else before or after in his book "The Happy Islands", his travelling throughout the South Pacific islands.

For me travelling has always been about a state of freedom in the mind and if possible in the soul, in a way being far away from home, the known, the established.

I remember sitting at the Temple IV of the Tikal ruins in the remote rainforests of Guatemala, where I felt totally free, overlooking the treetops and watching the day come at dawn. Hearing the jaguar and howler monkeys, a soft drizzle as a kind of background music. It is one of the best memories of travelling.

Eric

tiki
Reporter
Reporter

Postby tiki » Sun, 25 Sep 2005 10:52 am

' Yes I have wandered alone. In solitude I have seen images, tattooed & etched in my memory. From the lone flower to the a gathering of family at dinner time... I've seen some. Yet when I look up into the sky and see a familiar face, it warms my heart.

Yes I have wandered alone....

.... but the Moon, she keeps me company.'
Attachments
journeyend2.jpg
- a composite of images taken during my sojourn.
(73.44 KiB) Downloaded 274 times

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Sun, 25 Sep 2005 11:56 am

Homeward bound, there is nothing like it in the world.

When I used to live in Singapore, much as I loved it, at Christmas we always went home.

That feeling as the plane descends into Heathrow, the touch down, the walking out to the meeting area, the carols on the PA system, the trees, and even the British faces waiting for others....it is the most dreary place in the world, an airport, but it just shouts 'You're home' and then the crossing of the Severn Bridge into Wales and I really was home.
(Course, nothing had changed, but hey, I like that.) And that's why I love Scotts Lay of the Last Minstrel, he says it just so perfectly.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Sun, 25 Sep 2005 1:20 pm

Bubbles wrote:Homeward bound, there is nothing like it in the world.

That feeling as the plane descends into Heathrow, the touch down, the walking out to the meeting area, the carols on the PA system, the trees, and even the British faces waiting for others....it is the most dreary place in the world, an airport, but it just shouts 'You're home'

bubbs, i totally identify with that. for me the homeward journey starts when i see the SIA logo on the tail of the plane at any airport. once i see that i'm already halfway home.

beenhere10years
Chatter
Chatter

Postby beenhere10years » Sun, 25 Sep 2005 1:28 pm

Nice montage Tiki!
When you go in for a job interview, I think a good thing to ask is if they ever press charges.

-- jack handy

tiki
Reporter
Reporter

Postby tiki » Mon, 26 Sep 2005 1:55 pm

beenhere10years wrote:Nice montage Tiki!

Cheers....

Here's a composite of photos taken on assignments, 'Fragile'.
Attachments
Fragile.jpg
Fragile we are
(90.26 KiB) Downloaded 198 times

beenhere10years
Chatter
Chatter

Postby beenhere10years » Mon, 26 Sep 2005 3:13 pm

Quite powerful and I like the Sting quote...

-- jack handy

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Baron Greenback » Mon, 26 Sep 2005 4:03 pm

I agree mantage/collage are beautiful.

best journey? apart from going home I quite like going somewhere new, the thrill of adventure. I even like getting on a different bus & seeing where it takes me - is that sad?
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

superedge
Chatter
Chatter

Postby superedge » Mon, 26 Sep 2005 6:54 pm

Baron Greenback wrote:I agree mantage/collage are beautiful.

best journey? apart from going home I quite like going somewhere new, the thrill of adventure. I even like getting on a different bus & seeing where it takes me - is that sad?

My coolest journeys were probably 2: when I crossed South Korea and Costa Rica, by backpack. (well, costa rica was also by car)

you can see the pictures in my website.

but one of the feelings I enjoyed most was coming back to Brazil after leaving USA during the sep-11 times. People in USA back then were in such paranoid that I needed to go to a place where nobody was looking at foreigners as we were terrorists.

Ling2
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Ling2 » Tue, 27 Sep 2005 7:02 am

One of my many favourite journey..... :) this is when I climb up to get a great view of the Geiranger fjord....

I went travelling alone then.... I would take my bf back there next year :D

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Tue, 27 Sep 2005 5:23 pm

For me you can't beat a long sailing trip. Waking up for your 4am watch and taking the helm with absolutely nothing in sight except the sea and the rising sun. Is to me, the most relaxing feeling, calming peaceful experiences :cool:

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Tue, 27 Sep 2005 7:21 pm

Five day motorcycle trip through the mountains of north Vietnam.

http://www.herbhost.com/seasia/

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Wed, 28 Sep 2005 4:29 pm

My favourite journey takes me near to places like this one, which is not far away from here.
Attachments
Nantgwyn.jpg
(73.85 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.