Singapore Expats Forum

Professions you always want to do & don't want to do ever

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Kimi
Reporter
Reporter

Professions you always want to do & don't want to do eve

Postby Kimi » Sat, 24 Sep 2005 2:08 pm

I must admit sometimes when I have the stress over the workload, the tedious office workflow/process, the politics and errr the people, I sometimes remember what Christian Slater in the movie, Bed Of Roses, described about why he left his office job to deliver flowers as he would be able to see the people's jovial expression to get flowers from their loved ones, or Angelina Jolie's determination as a relief worker in the movie, Beyond Borders, or Patch Adams' compassion in the movie itself, Patch Adams.
Granted the movie depicts only the good side and probably too much of it as well, but that's not the point...
So I must admit I do wonder sometimes how it is like to do jobs like flower delivery girl, relief worker, a doctor or nurse even, and one more is a teacher which I have been thinking seriously as a profession I would like to do when I'm older, maybe like in my 40s or 50s and what I'll keep doing till I have to retire let's say.
The reason is cause these professions have direct contact with people or with what would effect other people's lives, thus would give one a feeling of accomplishing something good and to be proud of. I know it's rather a selfish reason still, then again is there any true selfless thing anyway? :roll:

However, having said that, about having direct contact with people, I don't reckon I can make myself doing things like customer service or something like helpdesk, waitressing and such; as I often see how these people are not appreciated, would sort of be the punch-bag from the frustration of their customers (more of the customer service type of profession) etc.
I'm not saying their jobs are not important, only I suppose you can say I don't have that much faith on people's goodness either especially in bad times... i.e reporting or rather complaining about a bad service and the like thinking that customers should be the king! :P In case one doesn't get it, that last part was supposed to be sarcasm(!), as I had my own share of feeling frustrated with the service here as I would need to kind of fight to get what I already paid for...

So what kind of professions you always want to try doing and what kind of professions you wouldn't want to do ever in your life?

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Sat, 24 Sep 2005 9:51 pm

I've been in the writing business in one way or another all my life. Editing, journalist, writer, etc etc....but I've tried many different things as I often wondered what it would be like to try....

I've tried sales, rental agent, ESL teaching, tutoring, alternative therapy, clerical....and once even thought about medicine.....

However, the older you get....that's if you're lucky and CAN deviate and try new things......the older you get the more you realise that if you're good, or even just quite good, at something, then that's where you should put your efforts.

For many years I fought against being a writer all my life, as it's no moneyspinner, let me tell you. (Unless you're JKR)....but I always come back to it in the end.

I do regret not doing the medical thing, either nursing, doctor or paramedic, whatever, but I ask myself, did I want to do it because it was the almost total opposite to what I was doing? Yes, I guess. (And the 6 yrs at medical school are a bit of a turn off, even if I'd been allowed to.)

So, if you're young, do try a few different things, but do them early as life has a habit of superglueing you into a situation it's hard to get out of.

But don't put yourself down for doing a job you're good at, just be glad you are good at something, is what I say, whatever it is....and I mean ALL jobs, paid or unpaid....that means housewife/husband or mum or dad too....

Bubbs.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Re: Professions you always want to do & don't want to do

Postby Wind In My Hair » Sat, 24 Sep 2005 9:57 pm

Kimi wrote:I don't reckon I can make myself doing things like customer service or something like helpdesk, waitressing and such

funny you say that. the one thing i've always wanted to try was waitressing cos i always felt i could do a MUCH better job than the bulk of waitresses out there. and i like to see people get together over a meal or drink. but when i was young i didn't get round to it, and now that i'm older the opportunity cost is too high, to give up my current occupation to do that. maybe when i'm retired i will try it.

seraphim
Reporter
Reporter

Postby seraphim » Sat, 24 Sep 2005 11:00 pm

I've always wanted to be a millionaire, but I couldn't convince anyone to sponsor me. :mrgreen:

Soooooo.....lets see. I've wanted to be a gymnast, singer, thespian (but not a lesbian), counselor, psychiatrist, teacher, PR Exec, zookeeper, broadcast journalist, a plain old journalist, radio DJ, fiction writer, and an MTV VJ.

I NEVER, for the life of me, want to work as a vetrinarian - I can't stand to see animals in pain. :cry:
And the sultans - yeah the sultans
they play creole...Creole, baby

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Sat, 24 Sep 2005 11:06 pm

I've wanted to be a nun, is that a profession at all? :D
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

tiki
Reporter
Reporter

Postby tiki » Sat, 24 Sep 2005 11:08 pm

Back in Florida I had a buddy who was in the ARMY.

He's just job was to break the news of soldiers killed in combat to family members.

I would not and do not envy his job. It's gotta be one of the toughest things to do. It takes nerves of steel and for that I do admire him and others like him.

seraphim
Reporter
Reporter

Postby seraphim » Sat, 24 Sep 2005 11:10 pm

sapphire wrote:I've wanted to be a nun, is that a profession at all? :D

Please spare me - any convent that took you in would be thrust down to the bowels of hell by God himself..... you're too evil! :P
And the sultans - yeah the sultans

they play creole...Creole, baby

tiki
Reporter
Reporter

Postby tiki » Sat, 24 Sep 2005 11:12 pm

Would you settle for naan? :wink:
'If you feel alive
in a darkened room
Do you know the name
of your solitude..'

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Sun, 25 Sep 2005 12:17 am

I guess a naan doesn't have to cover itself from head to toe, but nah, a nun would be better. I did mean a nun who doesn't have to renounce sex. Believe me, such a thing exists in India, maybe not called a nun, but something close. Don't think I'm making much sense, but who cares! :P

Seraphim, tsk...tsk...evil and I? You do know I'm a softie behind that evil persona. :wink:
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 25 Sep 2005 12:35 am

Wow. All I've got to say is I actually feel sorry for all of you. You all are so hung up on peer / societal pressures that you are sacrificing you entire lives for everybody but who needs it most. Yourselves. You can think up all the excuses in the world why you can't do it but at the end of the day you are only fooling yourself. When you reach the end of your journey, want to bet who has to say "I wish I had tried/done that when I was younger/fitter. Guess what? It's too late and you will carry that wish to the grave. :(

As someone who has already traveled a major portion of the journey. I still haven't come to the end of the "Adventure" quite yet. As some of you know, I've done a fair bit in my life. To put it a little more into perspective. If I were to become a complete invalid tomorrow I would be able to say I've done everything I've ever wanted to do (at least up to this point - tomorrow may be different and, if it is, I'll go do it ASAP). I've been a Chopper Pilot, Tax Account & Finance Mgr and a Commercial Deep Sea Diver. I worked resettling Vietnamese Refugees for UNHCR (personal penitence). I've waterskiied, snowskiied, paraglided, hangglided, sailplaned, bungee jumped, skydived, SCUBA'd, Surfed, skated both ice & roller. I've been a recruiter for the past 10 years. (Oh, I started out as a Dairy Farmer), hunter, trapper, crabber, fisherman. And in a couple of years will go back to being a hunter & farmer once again.

What would I NOT like to have to do? Sales & Marketing. I can't mislead people. I am brutally honest (not always an endearing trait as my wife will attest to). As to being a good salesman you need to be a good prevaricator which I'm not. My marketing skills suffer do to my countryboy upbringing and english.

Please folks, don't prevaricate, life's too short.

sms

oNe

Postby oNe » Sun, 25 Sep 2005 2:07 am

..but have you lived?

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Sun, 25 Sep 2005 7:30 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Wow. All I've got to say is I actually feel sorry for all of you.

hey sms, don't feel sorry for us. you can have no idea what a full or empty life another is leading from a silly internet post. this is all in fun. but i do agree with you that we should live in such a way as to look back at the end of our life and sigh with contentment instead of regret. cheers!

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 25 Sep 2005 10:58 am

Wind In My Hair wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Wow. All I've got to say is I actually feel sorry for all of you.

hey sms, don't feel sorry for us. you can have no idea what a full or empty life another is leading from a silly internet post. this is all in fun. but i do agree with you that we should live in such a way as to look back at the end of our life and sigh with contentment instead of regret. cheers!

I really don't feel sorry at all, it was just my way of expressing your ending. Live life like there is NO tomorrow. I don't mean don't plan for the future but you only go around once in life. :mrgreen: And to oNe.....more than you will ever know and welcome to the forum in a registered state. :wink:

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Sun, 25 Sep 2005 11:06 am

Ok SMS, I'll go become a nun now. You've made me feel sorry enough for myself. :P

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 25 Sep 2005 12:58 pm

sapphire wrote:Ok SMS, I'll go become a nun now. You've made me feel sorry enough for myself. :P

How do you plan to become a nun if you plan to still get some? :mrgreen:
that cheating or just becoming a catholic (tongue-in-cheek here folks).

sms