Washing Machine with hot water?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
yoongf
Chatter
Chatter

Washing Machine with hot water?

Post by yoongf » Fri, 23 Sep 2005 9:22 pm

Most washing machines available at stores have only cold water functions. However, it seems there are some washing machines with hot water features, which according to the sales ppl, are popular with expats.

Are there any benefits from having this hot water feature in Singapore’s environment? Any opinions?

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Post by k1w1 » Fri, 23 Sep 2005 9:26 pm

I gets your clothes cleaner! Like washing your dishes in cold water... Ours has a hot water button, and it definately works much better that way.

skye
Chatter
Chatter

hot wash

Post by skye » Sat, 24 Sep 2005 12:00 am

As a European, I'm used to washing my clothes in a machine which heats the water. Having had a local "cold wash" machine in our first apartment, we found the wash short but brutal on the clothes compared with a european front loader. Knocked the corners off shirt collars after a while and tangled the clothes into knots in every wash. The detergents for cold wash can also be harsher according to my mate who works for a large international detergent manufacturer. So we bought out own front loader with water heating facility. Now happy with longer but gentler wash which doesn't destroy our clothes in a few months. And they are much cleaner too. Needs low suds liquid or powder though.

beenhere10years
Chatter
Chatter

Post by beenhere10years » Sat, 24 Sep 2005 7:36 am

We have lived in several places here in Singapore and have always had a washing machine with hot water capabilities: either internally (like a dishwasher) or externally. With children who wear white uniform shirts to school, there really is no option.

If the external hot water heater was needed, we asked the landlord to do it -- or did it ourselves and then spliced it off for the maid's bath. These seldom had hot water too, so it worked out well.

Washing your whiite cottons in hot water is especially important in Singapore. As k1w1 said, gets them much cleaner!
When you go in for a job interview, I think a good thing to ask is if they ever press charges.

-- jack handy

yoongf
Chatter
Chatter

Post by yoongf » Sat, 24 Sep 2005 10:36 am

Thanks for all the insights! Really interesting to hear different views. I had the impression.. most Japanese brands are cold water only, suggesting that hot water is not a "must have" from a technical point of view.

Just out of curiousity, front loaders typically have small capacity, like 5Kg, while top loaders can easily go up to 9kg. Is 5 Kg enough? What's the ideal size for a family of 4?

briceloh
Reporter
Reporter

Post by briceloh » Sat, 24 Sep 2005 10:45 am

yoongf wrote:Thanks for all the insights! Really interesting to hear different views. I had the impression.. most Japanese brands are cold water only, suggesting that hot water is not a "must have" from a technical point of view.

Just out of curiousity, front loaders typically have small capacity, like 5Kg, while top loaders can easily go up to 9kg. Is 5 Kg enough? What's the ideal size for a family of 4?
if u do yur laundry every 2 days it'll be more than enough.
IBMing