Singapore Expats

laser treatment for face

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
jaime

laser treatment for face

Post by jaime » Fri, 23 Sep 2005 12:25 pm

i would like to try the laser peel. has anyone tried this treatment. any advise on which doctor to go to?

Zoe_Low

Post by Zoe_Low » Fri, 02 Jun 2006 1:05 am

What is the difference between laser peel and chemical peel?

Editor_CS&B

Post by Editor_CS&B » Mon, 05 Jun 2006 2:25 pm

Hey there Zoe... In answer to your question -- in a laser peel procedure, a doctor will use a laser to remove the top layer of the skin on your face, down to a precision depth. A chemical peel uses any one of a number of different types of acid to do pretty much the same thing. In terms of results, the difference between the two procedures is really more a matter of degree. With an ablative laser peel, you're going to have a significant amount of unsightly crusting for a while, after which the new skin will come in. The more extensive chemical peels (such as a Phenol peel) are just about the same in terms of aggressiveness, but milder TCA peels are slightly less extreme (with correspondingly less extreme results, in most cases). Glycolic acid peels, fruit acid peels and lactic acid peels (collectively known as AHA peels) are the least extreme of the bunch, and while they won't do much in terms of getting rid of deep lines and pigmentation, they also have the most manageable side effects. Pretty much any qualified dermatologist will be able to tell you which option would best suit your skin -- as well as your goals for treatment. Hope this helps, at least a little!

Zoe_Low

Post by Zoe_Low » Tue, 06 Jun 2006 3:52 pm

Thanks! You explanation is very clear!!

Editor_CS&B

Post by Editor_CS&B » Wed, 07 Jun 2006 9:57 am

Very welcome Zoe! :)

Zoe_Low

Post by Zoe_Low » Sun, 25 Jun 2006 6:34 pm

Recently had a TCA peel (trichloro...acid) for my face. Great results seen..my doc says for superficial scars, TCA peel is good enough, for deeper scars, then a laser peel may be more beneficial. I like docs who have patience to explain the procedure, side effects, other similar procedures to me- A Happy post-peel patient.

sq009
Chatter
Chatter

Post by sq009 » Sun, 25 Jun 2006 9:58 pm

Hey Zoe! Where did you go for your chemical peel? How much did it cost?
In Pursuit Of Excellence and Perfection

Zoe_Low

Post by Zoe_Low » Tue, 27 Jun 2006 12:33 am

The clinic is at circular road, Cosmopolitan Clinic. I suggest you get a peel on Friday which allows you to 'recover' over the weekend. :wink:

Zoe_Low

Post by Zoe_Low » Tue, 27 Jun 2006 12:37 am

I enjoyed their opening discount. But I think the promo is ending June.

hksn

Post by hksn » Tue, 27 Jun 2006 12:14 pm

I recently tried a laser treatment called Spectra Laser Peel performed by a doctor. The result was pretty good. My pore size is reduced and improvement in my uneven skin tone. The price is ok.

Mandy78

Post by Mandy78 » Mon, 03 Jul 2006 7:15 pm

Editor_CS&B wrote:Hey there Zoe... In answer to your question -- in a laser peel procedure, a doctor will use a laser to remove the top layer of the skin on your face, down to a precision depth. A chemical peel uses any one of a number of different types of acid to do pretty much the same thing. In terms of results, the difference between the two procedures is really more a matter of degree. With an ablative laser peel, you're going to have a significant amount of unsightly crusting for a while, after which the new skin will come in. The more extensive chemical peels (such as a Phenol peel) are just about the same in terms of aggressiveness, but milder TCA peels are slightly less extreme (with correspondingly less extreme results, in most cases). Glycolic acid peels, fruit acid peels and lactic acid peels (collectively known as AHA peels) are the least extreme of the bunch, and while they won't do much in terms of getting rid of deep lines and pigmentation, they also have the most manageable side effects. Pretty much any qualified dermatologist will be able to tell you which option would best suit your skin -- as well as your goals for treatment. Hope this helps, at least a little!

Hi there..

I've been suffering from uneven and deep scars ever since 16!Now I'm already 28 and even thogh acnes have stopped but my skin still holds alots of deep scars.I've tried AHA peels for almost 2years but after that I had "erruption" again and it ends up with more scarrings!I've tried the intense pulse light laser as well but my skin is still troubled with the problem..

Can anyone out there who can help me by giving some advice???I even thought of removing my whole skin with lasers(if there is)cos I wouldn't mind about any price but just to return to a perfect complexion me!!I'm actually very very sad on this fact cos I'm someone who actually look very pretty indeed(please believe me..I really swear!!) with a figure and height whom everyone was admiring of even among my galfriends..the only thing whoch is my complexion!!!

Anyone???Please help me.... :(
Cheers
Mandy :p

hksn

Post by hksn » Tue, 04 Jul 2006 9:45 am

Hi Mandy, you should be treating your cellular level rather than the epidermal layer. I know that there's a form of light therapy called Omnilux and learnt from my doc (whom I went for my BOTOX) that the blue light treats acne very effectively. Think there having a promo soon.. together with a peel. I can help you ask my doc if you're interested.

Mandy78

Post by Mandy78 » Tue, 04 Jul 2006 11:13 am

hksn wrote:Hi Mandy, you should be treating your cellular level rather than the epidermal layer. I know that there's a form of light therapy called Omnilux and learnt from my doc (whom I went for my BOTOX) that the blue light treats acne very effectively. Think there having a promo soon.. together with a peel. I can help you ask my doc if you're interested.
Thank you so much..but right now I no longer suffer from outbreaks I think I need to treat the surface..if you get what I mean.. :wink:
Anyway..do you still think the laser you suggest is suitable for me??Can you check for me whether it helps in my case??Thank you once again..
Cheers
Mandy :p

iamdanny
Chatter
Chatter

Post by iamdanny » Tue, 04 Jul 2006 12:59 pm

Mandy78 wrote:
hksn wrote:Hi Mandy, you should be treating your cellular level rather than the epidermal layer. I know that there's a form of light therapy called Omnilux and learnt from my doc (whom I went for my BOTOX) that the blue light treats acne very effectively. Think there having a promo soon.. together with a peel. I can help you ask my doc if you're interested.
Thank you so much..but right now I no longer suffer from outbreaks I think I need to treat the surface..if you get what I mean.. :wink:
Anyway..do you still think the laser you suggest is suitable for me??Can you check for me whether it helps in my case??Thank you once again..

hey mandy dun be so sad cheer up

hmm try to go for mild treatments first like chem peel or subcision first if really dun help much then try laser... cos if u laser ur face the downtime wil be months n high risks of infection tooo.. hmmm prob u wanna try dr yeak from raffles hospital or dr ong from maple clinic they both gd docs n derma... yup dun tink so much everything wil be fine

hksn

Post by hksn » Tue, 04 Jul 2006 9:28 pm

Hi Mandy, I called my doc today and he recommended AFA peel, a peel milder than AHA and more effective. You can also do a Spectra Laser Peel. There's also one called JetPeel that is very effective for active acne. He will need to take a look at you to advise appropriately. His first consultation costs $25. Oh, the therapist told me that they will be having a promo soon.. a peel (JetPeel or AFA) with a light therapy for $120. very affordable. I have already booked for one :)