Singapore Expats Forum

Another Freakin' Hurricane

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Strong Eagle

Another Freakin' Hurricane

Postby Strong Eagle » Thu, 22 Sep 2005 11:54 am

And this one is heading to Houston, where my family lives. And where an even larger portion of the US refining capacity exists. Let's hope it heads west. It's a monster.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Thu, 22 Sep 2005 12:45 pm

. . . as well as 100,000 Louisiana refugees are at the moment.

Let's hope, SE, that it dissipates, but the direction and strength makes this unlikely. The Dope on a Rope, aka Bush, has already recommended evacuation of Galveston . .

'nuff said Image

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Thu, 22 Sep 2005 12:50 pm

SE, does your family have to evacuate as well? This one is supposedly bigger than Katrina! :o
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Thu, 22 Sep 2005 12:55 pm

sapphire wrote:SE, does your family have to evacuate as well? This one is supposedly bigger than Katrina! :o

Don't know yet. If the hurricane turns northward, probably yes. We are not prone to flooding but the last time we were hit with a hurricane (the eye went over my house), it was 125 mph winds and we were without power for 11 days.

My daughter and grand daughter have gone to New Braunfels, a 150 miles awayand her condo is well protected.

I worry about my wife. There is not a sheet of plywood to be had within a 100 miles of Houston, and that means the windows in our home cannot be boarded up. If flying debris hits the big picture windows, it will be a mess. So perhaps best if she is out of the way of the hurricane. We can always fix/replace stuff... her safety is paramount.

briceloh
Reporter
Reporter

Postby briceloh » Thu, 22 Sep 2005 12:57 pm

it's now officially cat 5 hurricane. :(
IBMing

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Thu, 22 Sep 2005 1:04 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
sapphire wrote:SE, does your family have to evacuate as well? This one is supposedly bigger than Katrina! :o

Don't know yet. If the hurricane turns northward, probably yes. We are not prone to flooding but the last time we were hit with a hurricane (the eye went over my house), it was 125 mph winds and we were without power for 11 days.

My daughter and grand daughter have gone to New Braunfels, a 150 miles awayand her condo is well protected.

I worry about my wife. There is not a sheet of plywood to be had within a 100 miles of Houston, and that means the windows in our home cannot be boarded up. If flying debris hits the big picture windows, it will be a mess. So perhaps best if she is out of the way of the hurricane. We can always fix/replace stuff... her safety is paramount.

Sh*t SE....

Man, I truely hope your wife and others over there will be spared from a disaster.

Unbelievably frustrating to hear there is no wood available to protect your house over there? Is this not being provided by the authorities?

Eric

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Baron Greenback » Thu, 22 Sep 2005 1:24 pm

Here's hoping the family are safe SE :-|
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 22 Sep 2005 2:03 pm

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:Unbelievably frustrating to hear there is no wood available to protect your house over there? Is this not being provided by the authorities?

Eric

Unfortunately Eric, it doesn't work that way. It's you own personal property so it is up to you how you protect it. It is a damn shame however and SE I've got my fingers crossed on this one because no matter where it lands it gonna create havoc.

SE, I hope, if she can't get plywood, she's able to get lots of duct tape. While it will not stop the breakage it may stop injury if she's planning to ride it out as your post seems to indicate. Hell, for that matter putting up 1 x 2's may help stop flying damage if she tapes first and then puts up a number of them (agains depends on availability doesn't it). [-o<

sms [-o<

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Thu, 22 Sep 2005 2:20 pm

Thanks, SMS. Fortunately, I've got some great neighbors, and that is plan B... to put up planking of some sort. Not 100 percent effective but could stop the large stuff. I don't think she will stay in the house. We've got good friends 50 miles to the north where it should be much drier and less windy.

Eric, as SMS said it is a private property thing, and all the lumber stores have been bringing in wood and generators as fast as they can. It's simple logistics... when one operates on a "just in time" inventory system like all these guys do, there just isn't much excess to be dragged out of the pipeline. I'm sure the manufacturers are working 24 hours per day but they cannot keep up with demand.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mp ... ry/3364562

Worst case scenario

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mp ... an/3046592

KT
Chatter
Chatter

Postby KT » Thu, 22 Sep 2005 3:58 pm

i m too lazy to google this and get the answer.... how do they go about naming the hurricanes .... and wat determines whether its a male or female name ?
"El tango no está en los pies. Está en el corazón."

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Thu, 22 Sep 2005 4:01 pm

SE, wishing your family and friends the best. Must be scary there right now, especially your wife being alone there without you. Do keep us posted on how its going.
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Thu, 22 Sep 2005 4:06 pm

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphic ... 3day?large

SE, this is one of the sites we use to monitor hurricanes etc, the predicted path hasn't changed to much over the last few day so doesn't look too good for Texas.

Fingers and everything else crossed for your family.

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Thu, 22 Sep 2005 4:11 pm

KT, here are the names for the next few years, it's purely alphabetical sequence with no alternating between male and female

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutnames.shtml

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Thu, 22 Sep 2005 5:15 pm

thought tyfoons were male and hurricanes were named female?

Eric

SE, keep my fingers crossed for your family there, I hope for the best...

Eric

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Thu, 22 Sep 2005 5:23 pm

Eric, there's no difference between a hurricane and typhoon just region specific