Singapore Expats Forum

Telly addicts

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Fri, 23 Sep 2005 5:13 pm

Did you take your morning shower yet Bubbs?

Just wondering...

Eric

Ling2
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Ling2 » Fri, 23 Sep 2005 5:25 pm

bh10y...thanks! felt so much better...after the quiz...all answer NO hahahaha... so maybe am really a noise addict...not TV... coz I would rather go out & smell the flowers.... :lol:

Bubbs & Saint
I don't think it's the same program..but I know Child of Our Time is airing on Arts Central. Its about 25 very different families taking part in this unique experiment, which will follow the children’s growth and development over a twenty year period. here's the link:-

http://www.artscentral.sg/Whats_Showing/child/index.htm

It's pretty interesting

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Fri, 23 Sep 2005 5:36 pm

Finally we get to watch The Sopranos here on tv, arts channel on Wednesdays 10.30pm - 11.30pm. It is season 5 playing.

Eric

Kats_
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Kats_ » Fri, 23 Sep 2005 5:57 pm

BH10Y, had taken a similar (or was it the same?) online alcohol test sometime back! Was fun answering the questions as a bunch of us were doing it for one another !

Not sure if it can directly apply for telly-addicts. If it does...then I am far frm being one as well!

Ling, I let the telly on sometimes too, doing other things - laundry, dishes, cleaning etc. Usually have MTV on when I am not right in front of it. Just like you I like some noise in the background when no one is around.

Bubbles, wouldnt have been one of your neighbours as I do keep the volume low most times. :)

I dont like inconsiderately loud volume frm my neighbours myself but I welcome some....there is this person (who lives one floor above I think) and is at the piano every weekend and I can hear girly giggles from the other side of one of the common walls I share with someone.

Just find them lively.

and Eric, if TV gets banned...I would die out of insanity! Addicted surely addicted! :oops:

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Fri, 23 Sep 2005 9:56 pm

Ling, have heard of that program and will be interesting but I can't believe anyone would agree to being filmed for 20 years unless they are being paid top dollar!

These people on 49up are moaning about the media intrusion and they are only being filmed every 7 years!

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Tue, 27 Sep 2005 1:04 am

There is a crappy programme on tv here called Wife Swap. I say crappy but that doesn't stop me watching it for the 'cringe' factor I feel when I see how some of the peeps behave. Maybe it's just me patting myself on the back that I didn't turn out like X, Y or Z pictured in it.

There's always one uptight, well heeled, immaculate couple, wife with job, well behaved kids, supportive hubby....and then there's always one couple of slobs, with tearaway kids (usually at least five or six of them) who don't work, or take drugs, or won't do housework and use paper plates rather than wash up. It's so predictable. I wonder why the hell, apart from the money, people agree to go on it. You'd have to be stupid to not know that if you were a 'normal' wife that you'd be sent to a pigsty of a place for two weeks.

And the language, if's f...ing this, and s..t, and the 'c' word every two seconds....it's horrific to think that people actually live like this. Yes, they must ham it up for the cameras, but not THAT much.

All in all, it's brainless telly, but I like it.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.

beenhere10years
Chatter
Chatter

Postby beenhere10years » Tue, 27 Sep 2005 6:03 am

Bubbles wrote:There is a crappy programme on tv here called Wife Swap. I say crappy but that doesn't stop me watching it for the 'cringe' factor I feel when I see how some of the peeps behave.

Bubbs I agree with you. It is pure crap, but there have been times I've watched it too. Even though the families are so extreme -- you can still glean a tiny bit of virtue.

I'm never going to win Mother of the Year, but its interesting to see other parentling styles in action, I think you can learn a bit if you look past the obvious.
When you go in for a job interview, I think a good thing to ask is if they ever press charges.

-- jack handy

Return to “General Discussions”