Singapore Expats Forum

Telly addicts

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Fri, 23 Sep 2005 11:47 am

Ling2 wrote:was it air because it's part of the juice?

Ling2 loses me again... i understood the rest of your post though so we're making progress ling! :lol:

Ling2
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Ling2 » Fri, 23 Sep 2005 12:15 pm

I apologized for my shortcut WIMH :)

was it air...means was that rocky marriage part air(broadcast/publicize) because it can spice up the show(thus as being the juice of the show).

I don't expect everyone's frequency to be on the same level as me :wink:

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Fri, 23 Sep 2005 12:24 pm

Ling2 wrote:I apologized for my shortcut WIMH :)

oh don't apologise, Ling2. your posts just add to the general levity of the discussions, without which us boring old gits would drone on about metaphysics and that kind of thing :wink:

ps: thanks for the explanation :wave:

Ling2
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Ling2 » Fri, 23 Sep 2005 12:43 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:
Ling2 wrote:I apologized for my shortcut WIMH :)

oh don't apologise, Ling2. your posts just add to the general levity of the discussions, without which us boring old gits would drone on about metaphysics and that kind of thing :wink:

ps: thanks for the explanation :wave:

You are welcome :) Yupp, that's me...simple & terse words for simple gal like me :wink:

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Baron Greenback » Fri, 23 Sep 2005 1:38 pm

My name is Baron Greenback and I am addicted to TV.

I know I am addicted to tv because even if I can't find anything I like watching I will watch crap, just for the sake of watching tv - in this case it is a mind numbing exercise, a way to unwind from the stress of the day.

But 9 times out of ten when I get home after work I spend the first 30mins pottering around the house feed the cats, get changed etc & then turn the tv on. I am then sedatary until it is time to go to bed. I will of course cook or whatever, but tv dinners are par of the course.

God that sounds really awful, I do have a life honest! I play football once as week & often spend my weekends with friends & enjoy drinking in pubs etc.

But as a test for an addict, if there is nothing on do you turn the tv off? or do you watch crap?
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Fri, 23 Sep 2005 1:43 pm

Watch crap! :D That's not me, but my hubby. He will even watch a movie in a foreign language sans subtitles! Although I must admit I'm getting hooked to these Korean movies, very very interesting plots. Of course most have subtitles.
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

Kats_
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Kats_ » Fri, 23 Sep 2005 2:03 pm

I consider myself a telly-addict, well to some extent too. DOnt have telly on all the time but it keeps me company whenever I want it to. :)

Dont watch anything and everything...if nothing interests me in any of the channels, I just switch to BBC or Discovery.

Was once additced to CNN and not only did I knw all the show times but also knew all the presenters' name by heart!! :P

Ling2
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Ling2 » Fri, 23 Sep 2005 2:29 pm

Hmmm....now that Baron had said it....I might be a TV addict at all! :shock:

I left my TV on..even though am not watching it! I could be doing my laundry...on the PC or even in my art studio, painting! I contribute much of that..to the fact that I am living alone and I have no cats, no hubby :P My bf lives in his own apt :lol: so I just wanna some noise in the background.... sometimes I do play music instead of letting the TV runs though... or go for a swim....

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: am a tv-addict.....

babykasim
Chatter
Chatter

Postby babykasim » Fri, 23 Sep 2005 2:56 pm

Im a telly addict as well...
a lot of ppl has complain abt this ;) :D

I can spend the whole weekend at home watching TV.
And I normally end my night with watching the re-run of Friends at 11 PM on StarWorld.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Fri, 23 Sep 2005 3:00 pm

If our government wants Singapore to look at the future and have more babies around, I think it would be a good idea to transcend the chewing gum policy to a total abolition of tv in Singapore.

Make love, don't hang in front of the tele all the time! :lol:

Eric

Ling2
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Ling2 » Fri, 23 Sep 2005 3:44 pm

Eric...eric...two can make love infront of the TV too :p or videocam hahahahaha :P watch some exciting DVDs etc

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Fri, 23 Sep 2005 4:08 pm

Hmm... I think you and minister Ibrahim or PM Lee might have different opinions on what dvd's could be exciting to get it rollin' in front of the tele... :wink:

Eric

beenhere10years
Chatter
Chatter

Postby beenhere10years » Fri, 23 Sep 2005 4:37 pm

Any addiction is simply a need to anesthetize. But what makes a habit form into an addition?

Some television can be a very good thing, for many reasons. Just like some wine and some chocolate. A matter of balance.

Try the Alcoholics Anonymous quiz, but substitute TV and see how you do:

1 - Have you ever decided to stop drinking for a week or so, but only lasted for a couple of days?

2 - Do you wish people would mind their own business about your drinking-- stop telling you what to do?

3 - Have you ever switched from one kind of drink to another in the hope that this would keep you from getting drunk?

4 - Have you had to have an eye-opener upon awakening during the past year?

5 - Do you envy people who can drink without getting into trouble?

6 - Have you had problems connected with drinking during the past year?

7 - Has your drinking caused trouble at home?

8 - Do you tell yourself you can stop drinking any time you want to, even though you keep getting drunk when you don't mean to?

9 - Have you missed days of work or school because of drinking?

10 - Do you have "blackouts"?

11- Have you ever felt that your life would be better if you did not drink?

Did you answer YES four or more times? If so, you are probably in trouble with alcohol. Why do we say this? Because thousands of people in A.A. have said so for many years. They found out the truth about themselves — the hard way.
When you go in for a job interview, I think a good thing to ask is if they ever press charges.

-- jack handy

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Fri, 23 Sep 2005 4:48 pm

Must agree with Bubbles that the 49up was one the best programmes I've seen for a long time. I do feel a bit sorry for these people having there lifes invaded ever 7 years but at the end of the day it's their choice.

And some of those hairdos and clothes from the 70s/80s are amazing!

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Fri, 23 Sep 2005 5:07 pm

Hi Everyone

I'm going to try to keep this on thread, yet still go with the offshoots, so to speak.

Telly Addict (Am I?)....yes, in a way. It's all part of routine though, isn't it? I don't always work away from home, as writing is all about being alone to think and put the thoughts down, hopefully into some semblance or normality, so I try to be strict with myself and have 'office' times.
At the pc by 9, off from 1 to 2 then finish about 5 or 6. My reward, to myself after that is getting dinner ready then a sit down in front of tv to watch what I enjoy. And yes, sorry to say this but I do enjoy our national soaps, Corrie and E.Enders. Also The Bill. And yes, I know they're totally non representational, but if I look at them as purely entertainment and fiction, then I can square that with myself.

When you write the barebones of your routines down on paper they sound sad and restrictive and I think everyone should do that exercise often. I regularly think 'Right, off your bum and go out' for me that can be anywhere....walk on the beach, down to town for a wander around the shops, to see sisters, or into Cardiff to a gallery, but it's important to keep away from other peoples' visions of life (aka tv) otherwise you'll become stale.

However, to dismiss the importance of tv in our lives would be silly. It's a big part of everyone's life, even if they don't watch often as we ALL have a tv, well vast majority, or hear others yapping on about the latest show, so it's a medium that is going to be with us forever. But I try, try....not to be a slave to it, but it's addictive, especially here in the UK, where the daylight hours change so much, and the nights are getting longer. Pretty soon, by December we'll have darkness from 4.30pm till about 7 in the morning, plus rain, frost, sleet, winds etc, so the desire to cuddle up in front of the box is huge.

I can't stand tv noise in the background, I must admit, and I most often live alone, but that's just me. I have to say I love silence, or nature sounds, which was one of the reasons why Singapore, much as I love it, used to drive me insane sometimes. Especially when I lived near Holland Road, what with crazy neighbours and their tv at 4am and the perpetual noise of the road.........urrgh. Don't laugh, I even used to go up to Kranji to sit and write, but what do you know, they've built a damned network of huge roads up there too now, haven't they?

OK, right off topic now, but just a few thoughts. Must go and have a cuppa. 10 am here, pouring down, exciting Tesco's later...........sigh!!
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.

Return to “General Discussions”