Singapore Expats Forum

Telly addicts

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Thu, 22 Sep 2005 7:22 pm

Noooooo, you two gave up oredi? Not fair lah!

Just when I went to grab my bag of popcorn!
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

Kats_
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Kats_ » Thu, 22 Sep 2005 7:29 pm

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:Kats....

Santa Clause was a metaphore, ok? Just a way of expressing my concern you still believe in fairy tales.

Why is Santa so sensitive to you anyway?

Like I wrote in my first posting, No offense meant. The gypsie painting, Santa etc etc, all metaphores being used.

I thought it was quite creative actually? :wink: :mrgreen:

Eric

ps. not about winning or losing here, you win from this, because you will now look at these shows differently (I hope)...

(joke...)

:D and you too, I hope all my grunts and arguments may want you to look at the shows a wee bit differently? (If at all you do ie )

Certainly amusing - Santa and gypsy but you are crediting yourself too much there by claiming creativity arent you? :P :P

No hard feelings here as well. I think it is just nice to argue it out if you have differences without getting too personal. I suck at it, as I fight with passion which often gets me into trouble. :oops: :oops:

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Thu, 22 Sep 2005 7:32 pm

This one mostly to Kats..

Kats, do you have a problem with aggression or simply with taking on board others' views?

I choose not to demean myself by answering all your meandering comments on something which is in itself so simple.

Please know that my comments were MINE, and I have a right to believe what I wish.

I did not contribute to this thread to encourage everyone else in the world to think as I do.

Can't you get a handle on that? Each to his own.

I find your replies to be tiresome in the extreme, and see your constant pasting of parts of others posts as an indication that you do not see the larger picture.

All I will say is that I DO believe that most of these shows are fixed and have no truthful agenda, often making fools of the sometimes genuine laymen who agree to participate.

I will also add that it is an integral part of these shows to encourage the public to rejoice in the discomfort and failure of the participants.

I do, in fact, write articles which deal with real events, and let me tell you this, reality is a much harder taskmaster than fiction ever will be. Some of the situations I've encountered on my way would make you scream with laughter, cringe with shame, or sob your heart out. All this happens with no director saying...'Kiss her now' or 'Shout at him in a moment' or 'Be more offensive.'

That's my take on it, and you can like it or lump it, it's up to you. (Freedom of choice you see.)
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.

Kats_
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Kats_ » Thu, 22 Sep 2005 7:33 pm

sapphire wrote:Noooooo, you two gave up oredi? Not fair lah!

Just when I went to grab my bag of popcorn!

Save the popcorn for the next debate Sapp. :wink:

I need a shower now...really long day! (I heard that snort!)

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Thu, 22 Sep 2005 7:42 pm

I'm waiting for a hugely cut and pasted reply, betchya.

Dylan Thomas.

Kats_
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Kats_ » Thu, 22 Sep 2005 7:56 pm

I almost did a cut...but thought would surprise you ;)

Bubbles, I never said you are trying to change this world.

I didnt expect you to take it personally. I was trying to put across to you that you are judging a whole lot of people and you could be wrong in judging them all the same. I do have a right to think so, right?

Thats all.

and all those cut and paste was to counter-argue.

Maybe I should stop cutting and pasting....one of the occupational hazards being a developer I guess...cant seem to guess rid of it.

Oh, I was half-hoping that you would tell us what happened at the library and you game.

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Thu, 22 Sep 2005 10:34 pm

Round 2 between Bubbs and Kats. I'll wait with my bag of popcorn. :D
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

stefania
Chatter
Chatter

Postby stefania » Thu, 22 Sep 2005 10:47 pm

No war, only love! :love: :kiss: :console: :in love:

I watched Jerry Springer in between classes and actually thought it was funny. :shock: Plus i loved Big Brother, Singapore should have one.......actually forget i even said that. :shock:

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Fri, 23 Sep 2005 12:21 am

Just to clarify my former statements.

I said that in my opinion....MY opinion....the vast majority of these shows are moneyspinners and nothing more. Shows which do not add to the world in any way and would not lift the intellectual horizons of even a blindfolded newt.

I did not say that I, PERSONALLY, believe the people who enjoy such trash should not enjoy them, IF THAT IS WHAT THEY WISHED.

Where in my post did I say 'Everyone who views these programmes are stupid or boring or brainless, and more to the point they should be stopped from doing so?'

I am all for fun programmes, but only when they are honestly presented as such. I just cannot hold with this dross they dish out and ask us to believe that it is not orchestrated. It insults my intelligence to be told that these 'reality' shows are actually reality, when I KNOW for a fact that there is a script, an agenda and an accountant waiting in the wings.

Even with shows such as Pop Idol, which is a good idea really, there's not a clear path for genuinely good singers to win. It will always be the one the producers think will be either a. Best Looking, b. Outrageous in some way or c. Connected showbiz-wise. They all have an agenda, and want the best possible product at the end. The vast majority of these shows turn on disagreement, conflict and embarrassment.

I am not going to buy into programmes which, like 'I'm A Celebrity, Get Me Out Of Here' rely on brain numbing long shots, 24/7, of celebrities of years gone by, doing nothing more than chatting, or snogging or having a quick shag. I mean, I could go down the pub and see that...(not the last bit, but you know what I mean.)

I was not totally dismissive of all the shows mentioned, and the one where people have to race each other to get to places all over the globe is entertaining, as it shows initiative at least. AGAIN, THIS IS JUST MY OPINION.

And last but by no means least, since when was airing one's views taking things personally? My speaking up is just part of what I was taught to do, and you too I guess.

I have nothing against you because of your views, and congratulate you on airing them. However, do not feel free to jump on every little damn thing I say and diss them.
Thankyou.

Dylan Thomas.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 23 Sep 2005 12:45 am

Bubbles wrote:It insults my intelligence to be told that these 'reality' shows are actually reality, when I KNOW for a fact that there is a script, an agenda and an accountant waiting in the wings..

Hey Bubbs :wink: , I am glad to know that my job is just a reality show. (I was getting worried for a while thinking this was the real thing, at least now I know in 26 weeks it will be over or at worse, renewed for another season). That's because I know for a fact there's an agenda and an accountant and probably a script as well at my office. :mrgreen:

Actually, it's more like a soap opera than reality show. :cry:

Matney
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Matney » Fri, 23 Sep 2005 3:34 am

Gosh, and here I thought the only reality shows were the evening news, National Geographic, Discovery, and various other channels along those lines. Look at what I've been missing---NOT! Total rubbish in my opinion. I have watched snipets of Big Brother (OZ), Survivor in Africa, etc.
If that is what you choose to watch so be it, but I really doubt that they are real reality--all staged for the viewers entertainment. Enjoy the popcorn, sweet or salty?
It has been an interesting debate of sorts here... :roll: [/u]

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Fri, 23 Sep 2005 6:24 am

I've just watched a real 'reality' show on tv here, it was called 49 Up. What the show is about is that a group of ten (I think) children were chosen when they were 7 years old, from all walks of life here in Britain, and the series has re-visited them every 7 years since. This episode was obviously when they reached 49.

It was amazing, really it was, and I do not believe that the producers had to script it much as the subject is so compelling it sells itself. Now that is what I call reality.

Lots of it was pretty much what you expected. The public schoolboys all went to prep school, then Oxford or Cambridge...then all have illustrious careers....barristers, etc. A few of the girls who lived in the East end of London turned out to be normal housewives. Most of the people had been divorced. One guy turned into a tramp, then rediscovered normality and now lives in Cumbria as a politician. Two of them refused to participate beyond 21 years old. Fascinating stuff.

Dylan Thomas.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Fri, 23 Sep 2005 8:18 am

ah this has been an interesting thread. enough bickering to keep sapphire happy too instead of grumbling at us for keeping the trolls out :D

haven't really watched tv in over a decade... find that it's usually a waste of time, and a conversation killer. much prefer to sit with friends over tea or coffee and have proper conversation going... THAT'S reality for me!

Kats_
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Kats_ » Fri, 23 Sep 2005 9:50 am

Bubbles,

You are right. Have a good day.

Kats.

Ling2
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Ling2 » Fri, 23 Sep 2005 11:41 am

Ok..the topic.. am not a telly addict coz I am hardly at home to watch much TV.... but if I do laze on the couch... it's whatever is interesting at that moment... be it a sitcom or movie...or a reality show

Yesterday, back home early...I caught a glimpse of Villa Wellness? I saw the part..where Vanesse(an expat lady who has been in Singapore for 6 mths, came with her hubby) has her marriage on the rock... My heart went out for her..and weep with her... is that reality? I am afraid so.....was it air because it's part of the juice? perhaps ..... but there's one thing I learnt from my past...and she brought it up...when she was crying... she is so dependable on her hubby... and she don't know where to go....

I hope all the ladies out there...will learn not to be dependent on the guys, we always need backups :wink:

Return to “General Discussions”