Singapore Expats

Telly addicts

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Kats_
Chatter
Chatter

Telly addicts

Post by Kats_ » Thu, 22 Sep 2005 11:01 am

Any telly-sitcom additcs here?

Was totally disappointed with Rock Star INXS result yesterday!

Was rooting for Marty all the while and thr they go and pick JD! Guess they had their own reasons.

Mig chopped his own chances by picking Bohemian Rapsody! I actually liked Suzie's performance on that much better! She was brilliant wasnt she?!

Anyways, cant wait for Amazing Race this evening! Families competing families! All excited !

:cool:

babykasim
Chatter
Chatter

Post by babykasim » Thu, 22 Sep 2005 11:13 am

me me...

yeah was disappointed when Mig was 'not right for the band'
I think he knew he wouldn't make it thats why he chose the song - simply because he wanted to sing it not because that song will show how he's right for Inxs.
Suzies rendition was much much better.
But anyway I like Mig personality a lot!

After marty's n jd's performance I kinda have the feeling JD will win it 'cos he's voice is more like michael h. compared to marty.

Can't wait for Amazing Race as well!!

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Thu, 22 Sep 2005 11:31 am

And these shows are sitcoms? Situation comedy . . . sitcom.

Scrubbs - love it.

'nuff said Image

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Post by dot dot dot » Thu, 22 Sep 2005 11:50 am

No offense meant here, but I find it quite awkward and do not understand what moves people to sit in front of the television and watch other people's 'real' lives pass by, then share this on an almost gossipy level and still feel ok about how the night was spent.

No sitcoms please.

Eric

Kats_
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Kats_ » Thu, 22 Sep 2005 11:58 am

:oops:

Well, sitcoms and reality show series and all !

Love 'Scrubs' too, it is hilarious..and 'Friends' and 'Little Britain'!

Enjoy talk shows too...Parky Parkinson...although he can get a bit too obvious at times. 'Kumars at No. 42', now on BBC1, clearly are a fun bunch to listen to. Havent watched enough of Andrew Denton but he seems very creative and enjoy the way he surprises his guests.

Find Oprah a bit over the top these days with her celebrities although always curious about the new books she presents.

'Apprentice', still enjoy it, although, I am a bit let down by the cast this time round. Reflects poorly on America if that is the best it can produce. Some candidates were clearly off the track! Would like to see Sir Alan Sugar in action...wonder how he handles his apprentice wannabes.

Nice isint it, just sit and judge them when you would probably wet your pants off in their shoes. :P

Kats_
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Kats_ » Thu, 22 Sep 2005 12:16 pm

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:No offense meant here, but I find it quite awkward and do not understand what moves people to sit in front of the television and watch other people's 'real' lives pass by, then share this on an almost gossipy level and still feel ok about how the night was spent.

No sitcoms please.

Eric
Well, clearly it is much better than telling the rest of the world how one enjoys sex. ;) OK I wont go there any further and certainly no offence!

Telly - it is entertainment and I find a lot of them quite educating too. You should watch some of them too....you would be surprised.

Gossip at some level alright, but we arent talking 'days of our lives' or 'bold and the beautiful' are we? We are talking about casts who chose to be on reality show series. I respect them for their courage and learn from their mistakes.

The fun series are a good laugh. Sadly, it is a source of entertainment for a lot of us who live a solitary lifestyle, not exclusively though.

Eric, I find you fair most of the time but there is certainly a bullish side to you when you define what is right and what isnt.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Thu, 22 Sep 2005 12:43 pm

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:No offense meant here, but I find it quite awkward and do not understand what moves people to sit in front of the television and watch other people's 'real' lives pass by, then share this on an almost gossipy level and still feel ok about how the night was spent.

No sitcoms please.

Eric

Check out the definition of sitcom - has nothing to do with real life. (agree with you on those reality tv things . . . they seem so contrived and silly)

'nuff said Image

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Post by dot dot dot » Thu, 22 Sep 2005 1:00 pm

true vaucluse,

was more referring to the shows mentioned as examples, like amazing race and inxs competition nonsense.

Eric

Kats_
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Kats_ » Thu, 22 Sep 2005 1:53 pm

Hmmmm could it be that one's interest for such reality shows depends on which generation he\she belongs to?

I personally enjoy the different places the teams get to travel in amazing race and there are so many travel tips that you get just by seeing the common mistakes made by them.

It also shows how one reacts under such pressure - while at one hand you are competing, on the other hand you also realise how important it is to co-exist and maintain your integrity\dignity.

They just open your minds and challenge you. I often ask myself could I do it? Well, in some way helps me deal with situations better and the next time I think to take a break - I think big.

True, all this can be learnt from own experiences too and am not saying this is not the only way they can be learnt...but then learning form others mistakes is also a part of learning.

In any case, reality TV series come in different flavours. There are other shows like 'Bachelor' etc ...and the ones with such drift arent my cup of tea either. I wouldnt condemn them though. The viewership is just different there.

Like I said, probably they are all not meant for the same type of audience.

Looking at the bigger picture, I think Mark Burnett certainly deserves the credit for his creations. The billions of viewers around the world arent out of their mind to watch the shows.

I mentioned it once and I will again, I see double standards in here at times but then I think it is only human to contradict oneself.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Post by dot dot dot » Thu, 22 Sep 2005 2:08 pm

Kats_ wrote:Hmmmm could it be that one's interest for such reality shows depends on which generation he\she belongs to?
What 'reality' are you referring to here? You mean the all pre-programmed. pre-directed and pre-created 'reality' shown?
Kats_ wrote:It also shows how one reacts under such pressure - while at one hand you are competing, on the other hand you also realise how important it is to co-exist and maintain your integrity\dignity.

They just open your minds and challenge you. I often ask myself could I do it? Well, in some way helps me deal with situations better and the next time I think to take a break - I think big.
You certainly still believe in the 'reality' of Santa Clause and alike, don't you? Different generation indeed I'd say and it explains why openmindedness about for example sexuality is still far away for you. I get the picture here.
Kats_ wrote:True, all this can be learnt from own experiences too and am not saying this is not the only way they can be learnt...but then learning form others mistakes is also a part of learning.
Agree, so learn from being fooled / misled and redefine 'reality'.
Kats_ wrote:I mentioned it once and I will again, I see double standards in here at times but then I think it is only human to contradict oneself.
To each his or her own, let that indeed be the standard.

Let's say you and I certainly have a different standard of 'reality'.

I'd call you naive and prude (being nice here) from what I read here, you are allowed to call me anything you desire, no problem.

Eric

Kats_
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Kats_ » Thu, 22 Sep 2005 3:29 pm

Eric from the Netherlands wrote: What 'reality' are you referring to here? You mean the all pre-programmed. pre-directed and pre-created 'reality' shown?

I wasnt the one generalising. I just mentioned a few that I like; re-read my previous posts.
Eric from the Netherlands wrote: You certainly still believe in the 'reality' of Santa Clause and alike, don't you? Different generation indeed I'd say and it explains why openmindedness about for example sexuality is still far away for you. I get the picture here.
"What I like most is to have sex when standing, holding the partners' bum with my right hand, she lifts one leg, stands on the other, while I hold her hand up high with my left hand against the wall....."

That was erotica for me. A bit too explicit. I wasnt mentioning abt your fruit fantacies with flavours etc. I didnt know I had to spell it out to you. You are certainly from another culture and I respect that and I think you should learn to respect how others feel about what you have to say.

You bringing Santa Claus for argument is a bit too lame. This randomness is very school-boyish.

Eric from the Netherlands wrote: Agree, so learn from being fooled / misled and redefine 'reality'.
Well, so much for reality. How do you define it anyway and what makes you think that you are right in defining it? Look at your own back before branding other naive.

I was just being appreciative of Mark Burnett just as anyone who is successful in this world. Ofcourse they are all editted and to certain extent mis-guided but what isnt in this world? You are your own judge, and take what you want and what you dont - surely you are old enough to know that.

Eric from the Netherlands wrote: Let's say you and I certainly have a different standard of 'reality'.

I'd call you naive and prude (being nice here) from what I read here, you are allowed to call me anything you desire, no problem.
You neednt have to state the obvious differences in our opinion.

Thank you for 'allowing' me to have my opinion about you. You were down-right condescending with this thread.

KT
Chatter
Chatter

Post by KT » Thu, 22 Sep 2005 3:33 pm

i enjoy watching

Sitcoms
seinfeld - nbc
frasier - nbc
the office -bbc

Misc
Lost - abc
Extreme Engineering - discovery
Band of Brothers - hbo

had to edit this post , how can i forget the sopranos
Last edited by KT on Thu, 22 Sep 2005 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"El tango no está en los pies. Está en el corazón."

tiki
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiki » Thu, 22 Sep 2005 3:41 pm

Northern Exposure
PJ ( Eddie Murphy's Claymation )
Good Times
CSI Las Vegas
Third Watch
Without A Trace
Cold Case
The Sopranos
Dallas ,Knot's Landing ( Long long long time age )

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Post by dot dot dot » Thu, 22 Sep 2005 3:47 pm

Kats,

amazing race, apprentice etc etc are all being pre-programmed and pre-directed, what you see is all set up, it is not real adventure.

When a couple during amazing race needs to go from A to B and get stuck for whatever reason, this is being directed that way. It is not happening for real.

So when you think you learn from this 'adventure', you are fooling yourself, all I am saying.

Watch it when you like, but know at least what you are looking at.

Eric

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Post by sapphire » Thu, 22 Sep 2005 3:58 pm

Yep, all reality shows are hogwash! I used to watch Amazing Race as well, not anymore. All predetermined to a large extent. The Apprentice... ugh! However, among all the reality shows, Amazing Race is the most bearable one.

I like comedies, Seinfeld was a fave, Friends not bad either. Everybody Loves Raymond was good as well. The Office was a blast. Frasier has its moments. I wish they would telecast Will & Grace here.

I also watch The Shield, and will watch The Sopranos when it starts.

Lastly three cheers for erotica. :D

Now will you two (Eric and Kats) stop bickering and agree to disagree? :P
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

Return to “General Discussions”