Singapore Expats Forum

Eric's Corner

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Fri, 23 Sep 2005 1:27 pm

I promised to stay away from this thread but can't resist, have to ask. Hopefully, Eric you're not the one doing the translation bit! :o
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Fri, 23 Sep 2005 1:41 pm

It remains a mystery! :D

here's something so beautiful, it doesnot need to be translated

A man's dream :wink:

Eric

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Fri, 23 Sep 2005 1:58 pm

Who painted this? Its beautiful, I like the style or what does one call it, the brush strokes.
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Fri, 23 Sep 2005 2:13 pm

I like the image as well....

Aegon Schiele ( http://www.artchive.com/artchive/S/schiele.html ).

I saw this one a couple of years ago at an exposition in a gallery somewhere in Paris and was hit by it instantly.

Read his lifestory and be shocked as well, this guy died at the age of 28, and the reason?

"He (aegon) and Edith (his wife) moved to a new and grander house and studio. Their pleasure in it was brief. On 19 October 1918 Edith, who was pregnant, fell ill with Spanish influenza, then sweeping Europe. On 28 October she died. Schiele, who seems never to have written her a real love-letter, and who in the midst of her illness wrote his mother a very cool letter to say that she would probably not survive, was devastated by the loss. Almost immediately he came down with the same sickness, and died on 31 October, three days after his wife."

To visit the exposition that day was an experience of sheer beauty: knowing his lifestory and getting the chance to see what he painted at his young age, was just mindblowing. Talking about occasions for men to cry... :cry:

Eric
Last edited by dot dot dot on Fri, 23 Sep 2005 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Fri, 23 Sep 2005 2:13 pm

Yes, stroking is required

'nuff said Image

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Fri, 23 Sep 2005 3:02 pm

Vaucluse wrote:Yes, stroking is required

I really been staring at this quote for a long time, but I just cannot find the eroticism in it? :D

Eric

superedge
Chatter
Chatter

Postby superedge » Fri, 23 Sep 2005 3:07 pm

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:
Vaucluse wrote:Yes, stroking is required

I really been staring at this quote for a long time, but I just cannot find the eroticism in it? :D

Eric

staring this quote with Vancluse's picture in the side...
hehe..no, not at all :)

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Fri, 23 Sep 2005 3:33 pm

Edge,

you like what I say about the bunda (my signature)?

:wink:

Eric

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Fri, 23 Sep 2005 4:14 pm

Oh that's a sad story indeed, he could have created so many more masterpieces. Like the pic a lot, its got a lot of mood because of the colours and brush strokes, dark and exciting. Crumpled sheet adds to the mood. Just my opinion of course, total layman opinion here.

Tsk...tsk Vaucluse, guttermind now? Thought you were above such carnal comments. :P

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Fri, 23 Sep 2005 4:17 pm

ok, now I know a nice birthday gift for you for next year :D

Eric

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Fri, 23 Sep 2005 4:24 pm

That's very sweet of you but I could never accept whatever you have in mind. I stopped celebrating my birthday many years back. I'm 25 forever. :D

locallass
Chatter
Chatter

Postby locallass » Fri, 23 Sep 2005 5:22 pm

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:I am sure there will be lots of guys jumping in front of you, screaming: "break my heart tonite, please break my heart!!!" :wink:

As said, enjoy the night out.

Eric

If the guys scream, it'll be about something else :lol:

Thanks I'm sure I'll have fun. You have a good weekend too!

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Fri, 23 Sep 2005 5:23 pm

I don't subscribe to this but have read a few issues, and it's good.

http://www.theeroticreview.co.uk/

OK and if we're pushing the boundaries of sexual issues here, has anyone read The Story of O?

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/review/s ... 03,00.html

Before I start let me say I AM NOT ASKING YOU TO READ IT OR AGREE IT'S LITERARY MERITS, SIMPLY TO KNOW IT IS ONE PERSONS VIEW OF SEXUALITY...AND NOT MINE.

I'm expecting some really sharp come backs from the women on this one as the story is all about submission and the sexual usage of the heroine, who's name is 'O'....shortened to just that one vowel as she is perceived to be of so little use, as a person, apart from her sexual use.

But, don't jump to conclusions, it was written by a hugely well connected intellectual WOMAN for her lover, as a sort of sexual gift.

It's very, very graphic, very cruel, sometimes vicious, but even though it's not my sort of thing, sexually, at all, I challenge you to read it and not be moved, in one way or another ....usually THAT way.

It's difficult to get in normal bookshops here, and was banned for many years, so there would be little chance in Singapore, Amazon do it though.

Don't shout at me if you read it and feel appauled, it's just a book, and simply a vision into other peoples sexuality, and the difference that exists between our (normal?) experiences, and others folks written, and perhaps actual, experiences.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Fri, 23 Sep 2005 5:29 pm

Histoire d'O....

I have seen that movie many years back, was ok.

I am afraid Bubbs, if you order these kind of titles here in Singapore, even via Amazon, you end op receiving a wrap without content.

I bet PM lee has a huge book collection though...

So the question remains, did you shower already?

Eric

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Tue, 27 Sep 2005 1:08 am

OK, this one's gone quiet, more I say, more!!!!!! lol.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.