Singapore Expats Forum

What was your first Rock Concert?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

guruvishwanath
Chatter
Chatter

Postby guruvishwanath » Wed, 21 Sep 2005 2:16 pm

My first true rock concert was here in Singapore. 1996 June. And it was Def Leppard. Hoo-Haaa! And it was also my first encounter with "sterile" Singapore.

Being just a few months in this country, I did not know many (heck! any) people. So when I saw the ad for Def Leppard, I had to go. I mean I have seen concerts on TV so this was it and it was Def Leppard. As in the local college rock concerts in India, I armed myself with a 6-pack cold ones, pack of cigs and reached Indoor Stadium.

I was stopped, halted and told that no booze or cigs allowed as its indoor stadium. I was :shock: :???: It was as if someone hit me on the head with a hammer. No way! what kind of rock concert is this. After a few minutes of discussion, which did not go well, they said I can go in if I throw everything away. No f***ing way! I sat there right in front of those on the steps outside, gulped down all the 6 cans of beer and smoked like 8 cigs in a record 20 minutes (hey! i was only 25 then). And was totally buzzed as hell and walked staggered.

Oh! and since I had a ticket for the extreme front near the feet of the band. While our good friends from Def Leppard were jumping and urging people to jump, the people around me were standing and some were sitting down on the floor likes its a classical concert. There was a section on the sides where they had seats and some moronic security guards going around telling people to SIT DOWN or they will shut down the concert. Phew! Lucky I was not in the sitting down section.

I may have been labelled a crazy nutcase for all the jumping and singing along I did.

Although, I blame it squarely on the beers!

But all in all, it was a great concert!

Cheers!
Guru

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Wed, 21 Sep 2005 2:45 pm

Nice one, Guru - storm the barricades!

I've been trying to remember my forst concert . . . Simply can't I believe the drugs and alcohol of the time have had an adverse effect on me. I know it's hard to believe.

Strangest entrance to a concert, however, I do rememeber.

James Taylor at SUNY (State University of New York), sold out, so a few dorm friends and I bribed one of the guards (no money changed hands, just some smelly green organic material) to leave a gym window open.

Bonus! Thought we had it made, sadly the window was on a horizontal leverage so you had to lie on the opened glass pane and roll over and in.
One of the guys, from the rowing team and high as a kite, crashed through the window, picked himself up and in we went.

Stupid mongrel was at fault for us getting caught as he was bleeding like a stuck pig, but was too stoned to notice.

caught 5 minutes of the concert . . .

James Taylor rocks! (rocked)

'nuff said Image

Alfalfa
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Alfalfa » Wed, 21 Sep 2005 4:54 pm

Deep Purple .. They were awesome... I am not a rocker I truly love the likes of deep purple, guns and roses and def leopard too.. :D
We'll get along fine as soon as you realize I'm Good.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Wed, 21 Sep 2005 4:56 pm

Slade and Black Sabbath . . . 8)

'nuff said Image

beenhere10years
Chatter
Chatter

Postby beenhere10years » Wed, 21 Sep 2005 5:39 pm

Vaucluse wrote:James Taylor at SUNY (State University of New York),
James Taylor rocks! (rocked)

Which SUNY? that's in my neck of the woods you know...

Also-- he just performed at the Hurricane benefit concert, I streamed it over the weekend. JT was, is, and will always remain some kind of wonderful. :wink:
When you go in for a job interview, I think a good thing to ask is if they ever press charges.

-- jack handy

beenhere10years
Chatter
Chatter

Postby beenhere10years » Wed, 21 Sep 2005 5:41 pm

babykasim wrote:my 1st concert was either tommy page or new kids on the block!
hah - so lame :oops:

But my 1st rock concert is Bon Jovi!

Tommy Page? The guy from Styx?
When you go in for a job interview, I think a good thing to ask is if they ever press charges.

-- jack handy

riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

Postby riversandlakes » Wed, 21 Sep 2005 6:11 pm

Not been to one yet :cry:
Goatboy will always cherish his former goatgirl.
But the world is full of fluffier ones.

babykasim
Chatter
Chatter

Postby babykasim » Thu, 22 Sep 2005 9:29 am

beenhere10years wrote:
babykasim wrote:my 1st concert was either tommy page or new kids on the block!
hah - so lame :oops:

But my 1st rock concert is Bon Jovi!

Tommy Page? The guy from Styx?

nah I dont think its the same person.
this tommy page sang slow/romantic songs.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Thu, 22 Sep 2005 10:42 am

Stonybrook University, BH10Y . . . although my time there is a haze . . .

'nuff said Image

tiki
Reporter
Reporter

Postby tiki » Thu, 22 Sep 2005 3:26 pm

First rock concert was under the stars in a 'purple haze'. Yup, I caught Jimi in one of his last gigs.

Shabu-Shabu

Postby Shabu-Shabu » Thu, 22 Sep 2005 3:33 pm

I've never been to a rock concert before.
My mom forbad me to go to such places because it was a good breeding ground for illicit sex, drugs, booze and a whole lot of other bad things.

I wouldn't let my child go in the future, either, unless my hubby or I follow, or a trusted adult.

There's been too many cases of tramplings, drugs and such in these concerts...well, rock ones, at least.
I had wanted to go for a Marilyn Manson one when my family and I were on a guided tour in America, but my mom said no after she saw how M.Manson looked like - especially the one with him tearing up the bible (she's catholic.). Oops.
Meowing out,
- Shabu-Shabu -

Fohls
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Fohls » Thu, 22 Sep 2005 4:01 pm

Shabu-Shabu wrote:I've never been to a rock concert before.
My mom forbad me to go to such places because it was a good breeding ground for illicit sex, drugs, booze and a whole lot of other bad things.

I wouldn't let my child go in the future, either, unless my hubby or I follow, or a trusted adult.

There's been too many cases of tramplings, drugs and such in these concerts...well, rock ones, at least.
I had wanted to go for a Marilyn Manson one when my family and I were on a guided tour in America, but my mom said no after she saw how M.Manson looked like - especially the one with him tearing up the bible (she's catholic.). Oops.

That's the whole point about rock and roll concerts! Don't tell your parents you're going just go!! I've yet to have illicit sex at a concert though, might be a bit tricky in front of a few thousand other people :twisted:

Oh my first concert was the Levellers on Hasting's Pier, everyone was jumping so much I was worried we were all gonna end up in the sea!

Best live gig I've ever been to was a band called 'The Barenaked Ladies' their sense of humor hit the spot for me!

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Baron Greenback » Thu, 22 Sep 2005 4:03 pm

This thread really shows how old people are! :shock:

Respect to those who saw Jimi or the Stones. Personally INXS was my first concert in Hong Kong - which was cool. Also seen UB40, that was ok but I got quite drunk & heckelled "I live in Hong Kong so I have a RAT IN MY KITCHEN!" & lo they played it.

Saw Jean Michelle Jarre at the opening of the HK stadium but they limited his pyrotechnic display to a few sparklers :?

At Glastonbury one year I saw loads of good bands play like Portishead & Orbital. The bootleg Beatles were amazingly good, especially as when they talked to the crowd they even had scouse accents.

Prodigy were awesome on their Gilted tour, met them afterwards. Leftfield were very good as well. I love music :cool:
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Thu, 22 Sep 2005 4:15 pm

Son loves 'Funeral For a Friend', and tonight is going backstage before concert to interview 'Thrice.'........anyone heard of them?

Now, if you're not up with heavy rock here, these two are really popular.

I hear their music from his room and I have to admit, even tho I'm not 20 some of it is just..........greeeaaatt.

Head banging stuff........do they do that anymore? Perhaps not, but visions of thousands of us together, squashed down the front, jumping up and down.......what some were on is anyone's guess, people being passed overhead....(why?, they didn't look ill, I think it's got a name that, the moving overhead thing)

Oh, the energy of youth..........what do we replace it with? (Oh I know, that'll be a job, a marriage and a mortgage, right?)
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.

Fohls
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Fohls » Thu, 22 Sep 2005 4:31 pm

Bubbs it's called crowd surfing it's all good fun till you end up on a filthy floor at the back of the crowd trying to remember where you left your friends...

As for head banging, in my younger days I had the hair for it, these days that's sadly not the case any more, no one wants to see a balding twentysomething shaking his head about :-( doesn't have quite the same effect!