Singapore Expats Forum

Good Samaritans

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

locallass
Chatter
Chatter

Good Samaritans

Postby locallass » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 10:43 am

I was rushing for an external meeting yesterday and hastily slotted in a stack of documents into a folder, one of those that’s open on one side. When I got to the meeting, I realised that these documents had slipped out on my way there. Managed to get through that meeting with composure, despite not having anything to show. When the meeting ended, I retraced my steps at least 5 times to look for those documents, to no avail.

Boy was I in serious trouble! I spent the rest of the afternoon trying to replace those documents to find that this was not possible for some :mad: I was going to have some explaining to do at work.

The rest of the day went downhill. I couldn’t eat, couldn’t sleep, went to the gym to punch out my frustrations and was so tired when I got home that I was snoring in bed by 10pm.

This morning, someone called me to tell me that she has found my documents. Luckily for me, my namecard was found in that stack. I can’t tell you how relieved I felt!

It’s at times like these that I’m really grateful that there are good Samaritans. The next time I find something that someone has misplaced, I promise myself that I will try to return it to the owner.

Anyone has other kind deeds to share?

Ling2
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Ling2 » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 10:59 am

locallass lucky you! :D

I am pretty lucky (& clumsy) myself too :) Lost my wallet in a toilet...yes am the "lazy to carry a handbag gal" Everything was in my wallet, driver lic, credit cards, atm, ezlink, zoo card and a few hundreds... Lucky I was with a gf, I waited out abit hoping there's someone that would come to the lost & found counter.... I told my gf that I believe in people....
No wallet found.... so I went home... I told my gf..lucky I don't have my ID card or I would have report to police. So we only called to cancel all my credit cards. A really nice lady called the credit card line and ask them to contact me! I got back everything! I wanted to give her a treat but she wasn't free. She said she didn't leave it at the lost & found counter coz she is worried all the money would be gone. A wonderful lady that's thoughtful too! I couldn't thank her enough!

I never keep anything to myself...if I ever found anything, I will try my best to return too :)

locallass
Chatter
Chatter

Postby locallass » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 11:17 am

Ling2, now that's a nice story to start the day with : )

I lost my credit cards once too. Actually my entire bag was stolen. I called up the banks to cancel my credit cards. The thieves managed to use them nonetheless – charging SGD$600 to one and $2,000 to the other :mad: Thankfully my card was cancelled before they went on their shopping spree, so I didn’t have to pay the banks a cent.

I’m thinking of giving my Good Samaritan an Ang Pow to thank her. But don’t know how much is appropriate. What do you think?

Ling2
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Ling2 » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 11:29 am

locallass, hmmmm I doubt she/he would accept an Ang Pow :) They did it with no mind for a reward, and not sure if they would take it as an insult? So, the best would offer to buy them a dinner/lunch or a drink to show your appreciation? :)

locallass
Chatter
Chatter

Postby locallass » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 11:44 am

A lunch/dinner treat sounds nice. But I don’t know if my Good Samaritan would accept it because that would mean that she has to make conversation with a total stranger through the meal (i.e. yours truly). Would it be easier if I were to buy her some fruits/small gift when I collect my documents from her?

Ling2
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Ling2 » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 11:56 am

Oh dear, I am at lost when it comes to buying gift, so I definately won't opt for that hehehehe :???: but if you feels that you wanna do so..go ahead... that's one form of appreciation :) A pot of plant to brighten up her work place would be nice? :D