Singapore Expats Forum

What is Your Pet Peeve?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 10:09 pm

gets you black looks

So. let them look - how many blacks are there here anyway!

Now, about that definition of dense . . . ..

Actually, Bubbles I'd disagree with you there. It's the custm here tio reserve a seat/table by plonking down a packet of tissue paper - fair enough, we have their ways, they have theirs. (and it is their country, after all)

Now, where did you see so many blacks here?

'nuff said Image

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 10:24 pm

I have another peeve.

What about those deadly people who only have one agenda when you speak to them and that's....their side of the conversation?

No matter how important what you have to say is, they'll bend it round to being about them, or what they want to say. Often they will interupt with facts which not relevant just to turn it to what they want to say, and then go onto pontificate at length about 'their' subject.

They shouldn't be allowed out. haha.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 10:30 pm

Vaucluse wrote:we have their ways, they have theirs.

oohhh... caught vaucluse in a slip!

as one of the 'they' you refer to, i must say i don't use the tissue paper method of reserving seats. as a result i often have to wait for a seat, drink / food in hand. which reminds me of another peeve - people who are finished with their drink / food and just sit there chatting when there are obviously others who need the seat. and quite a few of those who don't give up their seats are expats, mind you. so maybe some of you should get off your high horses eh? :roll:

i for one would definitely give up my seat if i was done and saw others waiting. SMS, ARE YOU READING THIS? there's hope for singapore yet!

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 10:48 pm

Bubbles wrote:OK, I'm a big believer in being upfront....for the queue jumper anywhere

...and the particular species of queue jumper indigeneous to these parts - the taxi stealers

I live near a high rise full of, er, working women, no matter if someone from my block is waiting for a taxi, they will take the first taxi, not matter how obvious it is that people before them are waiting, so we have to walk to their place

in another location, I had a very well-dressed 20-something local lady blatantly walk right up in front of me and take the taxi I flagged down

I was as amused as I was miffed

I'm no longer amused
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 10:51 pm

WIMH:

I don't wear slips.

'nuff said Image

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 10:56 pm

Vaucluse wrote:WIMH:

I don't wear slips.

i knew you'd say that. vaucluse, you're becoming predictable... horrors!

oh well, i have your ways, you have yours... :P

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 11:36 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:i for one would definitely give up my seat if i was done and saw others waiting. SMS, ARE YOU READING THIS? there's hope for singapore yet!

:mrgreen: WIMH, Even if I wasn't finished yet, if it were you waiting I would at least offer to share my seat (or my lap?). :P

Not all are truly inconsiderate here, just enough to ruin the day. And that usually starts when I get on the bus in the morning and all are seated 1 to a seat and all on the aisle. That's when I find the biggest lady or man no matter, and squeeze by them to the window seat and forcefully plop my 91 Kg in the little space that's left. It's usually good enough to force them halfway off the seat into the aisle (you know.....one cheek supported and one not?) They are left with either the delicate balancing act for the rest of the journey or they have to squeeze in somewhere else to get a window seat themselves. Always brings a smile of satisfaction to me when I explain to them, after finding out that they understand english, that I only sat there because they were so inconsiderate as to block the seat by sitting on the aisle side. Sometimes it's a real VISA moment. You know......priceless. :mrgreen:

Yes, sometimes I do have a positively EVIL streak :twisted: but usually I'm just a cuddly bear (or budda as my s/o says).

sms

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 11:38 pm

Love it SMS, love it.

I mean, do they think we're blind to the spare seat, or what? Are they guarding it? Tough on them I say. That'll learn 'em, as we say here.

Dylan Thomas.

beenhere10years
Chatter
Chatter

Postby beenhere10years » Wed, 21 Sep 2005 6:28 am

Bubbles wrote:Also people putting down cig packets, or cardigans etc to reserve a seat in hawker etc....I just sit down and tough!!

I'm usually right there with you Bubbs, but this I don't understand. Of course its OK to hold a table or seat while you queue up for food. What is the alternative? Get your tray of steaming laksa and walk all over looking for a seat?

Like Vaucluse said, its what is done here and I think it works out well.
When you go in for a job interview, I think a good thing to ask is if they ever press charges.

-- jack handy

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Wed, 21 Sep 2005 6:36 am

Nope, don't agree I'm afraid. The only way you should hold a table is by sitting there, or having a friend sit there.

Sorry, it may be a British way, but say Germans and Towels to any of us and you will most probably get the same response. Not that they'd all agree with me on the table keeping, but I think it's hilarious that a packet of paper towels are put on a seat.

If it's what happens in Singapore, fair enough, but I would still be myself and sit down. What happens if you forgot to 'Tissue' and you're head of the queue for food and someone twenty people back comes in and puts his tissues on one of the last seats? Do you have to stand there and look at the little package and eat standing up?

Strange, but if it works for you, as they say.

Dylan Thomas.

Ling2
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Ling2 » Wed, 21 Sep 2005 8:22 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Ling2 wrote:...shouldn't be hard to do...

Then why is it that 25 years of courtesy campaigns have had absolutely no effect at all (I've been here for 23 of them). Yes, littering has slowed down, but only due to the $1000 fine. That and more bangladeshi sanitation workers in the estates. People are just as rude and discourteous as always. It's almost like it is a genetic defect like myopia here.

sms

Argh!!! don't have 3 hrs like Bubbs does...so am catching up here hahahaha :lol:

sms, no matter how many years the courtesy campaigns are running..it's not gonna make any changes. You cannot change a man :P it has to come from within, he has to be willing to change :P Take it from Oprah hahahahaha.... :lol:

I would invite sms to visit the Docents some day, there's always rude people around, not only in Singapore, but probably coz of the space is small....you tend to see more trolls than fairies :) Living in the states or scandanavia or NZ... you have to walk miles to see ONE :wink:

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Wed, 21 Sep 2005 8:31 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Wind In My Hair wrote:i for one would definitely give up my seat if i was done and saw others waiting. SMS, ARE YOU READING THIS? there's hope for singapore yet!

:mrgreen: WIMH, Even if I wasn't finished yet, if it were you waiting I would at least offer to share my seat (or my lap?). :P

... when I get on the bus in the morning and all are seated 1 to a seat and all on the aisle. That's when I find the biggest lady or man no matter, and squeeze by them to the window seat and forcefully plop my 91 Kg in the little space that's left.

oh sms, what a darling... and you can share my seat on the bus anytime, now that i know how to get you to sit next to me :mrgreen:

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Wed, 21 Sep 2005 8:48 pm

What is the 'docents?' Lost here.

Dylan Thomas.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 21 Sep 2005 9:14 pm

Bubbles wrote:What is the 'docents?' Lost here.

that's why I hadn't replied as well. Was thinks along the lines of female deer odours. :wink: I can handle that.

sms, no matter how many years the courtesy campaigns are running..it's not gonna make any changes. You cannot change a man :P it has to come from within, he has to be willing to change :P Take it from Oprah hahahahaha.... :lol:

Yeah, I know, it's in the genes, just like myopia. They're just born with a genetic deficiency that makes them like that. And where did I say in my post I was only referring to men? :?

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Wed, 21 Sep 2005 9:24 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:
Vaucluse wrote:WIMH:

I don't wear slips.

i knew you'd say that. vaucluse, you're becoming predictable... horrors!

oh well, i have your ways, you have yours... :P

You have mine and I have mine????

Seriously, though - still don't see what slip you caught me in . . .

'nuff said Image