Singapore Expats Forum

What is Your Pet Peeve?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

beenhere10years
Chatter
Chatter

Postby beenhere10years » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 5:19 pm

Only the British could be peeved by sex.

Only kidding Bubbs.

I especially hate the fcuk campaign. What clever ad team masterminded that? My god! What pitches did they turn down?? It's not clever, it's not anything but tasteless. Enough now.
When you go in for a job interview, I think a good thing to ask is if they ever press charges.

-- jack handy

Ling2
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Ling2 » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 5:23 pm

Em Eye wrote:
Eric from the Netherlands wrote:people who are not aware of others in their direct environment, with as a result bumping into others, not saying 'thank you' (the biggest of all biggest irritations to me here), not noticing the common courtesies etc.

Eric

Couldn't agree more!!! Is please and thank you just an European behaviour are we being to tough expecting it here in Asia?

My biggest Peeve though.

It is not, Em Eye, I think bad manners are everywhere, not only in Asia. My 1st trip to Norway, got a shock because these ladies didn't even say thanks when I kept the toilet door open for them.... I met more as I travel around Europe, but I also met alot of nice people. I did question the norwegian once, they said, it's a matter of fact that you should open the door for people...people expects people to be helpful, therefore no need to say thanks?!?!?! It's not that they lost the manner...they took manner for granted......

bh10y, excuse me, sorry, please and thank you... is really common in Singapore many years back... I don't know what happened...only been gone for 7 yrs :???:

beenhere10years
Chatter
Chatter

Postby beenhere10years » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 5:28 pm

[quote="Ling2]these ladies didn't even say thanks when I kept the toilet door open for them.... [/quote]

You know those uptight scandanavians, like to pee in private with the door closed...
Last edited by beenhere10years on Tue, 20 Sep 2005 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When you go in for a job interview, I think a good thing to ask is if they ever press charges.

-- jack handy

Ling2
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Ling2 » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 5:33 pm

locallass wrote:My pet peeves:

People who step on my toes and never apologise, especially in a crowded MRT. They just avoid eye contact or walk away pretending that nothing has happened. At times like these, I wish I wear Doc Martens and can step on them accidentally too.

I had that happened to me too! It's a few school girls! One of them stepped upon my foot but never said Sorry! So what I did was to stare at her constantly, she and her friends had their head low & down most of the time. I ponder on teaching them some manners but I am afriad they might cry... :?

locallass wrote:People who stand on both sides of the escalators. I’m late dammit, get out of the way!?

Same! But I always step right down/up and said excuse me! :roll:

locallass wrote:People necking in public. Little pecks are all right but please spare everyone all that sweaty groping and tongue in the ear, mouth, everywhere… eeeeewwwww… Go get a room ok?

:oops!: I have to say my bf and I are guilty of that PDA(public display affection) We have our own apt but we are just passionate & affectionate no matter where hehehehehehe :P But I stop him if I see other's feeling uncomfortable.

Alfalfa
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Alfalfa » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 5:40 pm

You might want to tell Eric on which directions you go and what time you are in that public transport..cause I think he is interested to see smooching couples in the public.. hahaha

Afterall pinching nipples of a mannequin was thrilling...ouch!
We'll get along fine as soon as you realize I'm Good.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 6:19 pm

If I would recognize Ling from the forum, whilst performing any PDA, I would have to laugh so loud... She would feel uncomfortable, I am pretty sure.

Alfa, don't make me look silly now, can? :wink:

Eric

locallass
Chatter
Chatter

Postby locallass » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 6:29 pm

Ling2, the last time some idiot stepped on my toes on the bus and walked off without saying sorry, I made sure I followed him and told him that it hurt. He apologised right after :twisted:

I'm guilty of some PDA too. I have the habit of hugging a boyfriend in public and giving him small pecks on the face and neck. But all that tonguing and groping in the wrong places are too much for me.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 6:32 pm

Define 'wrong' places Locallass, we might have the wrong understanding here?

Eric

locallass
Chatter
Chatter

Postby locallass » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 6:39 pm

Ooh... this thread is going to get racy too, thanks to Eric :lol:

Wrong zones are like the butt, the thighs and the breasts. Believe it or not, I've seen youngesters stroke each other in these areas in the MRT, parks etc. I can understand the exhibitionist thrill. But really, there should be a line drawn somewhere.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 6:42 pm

ok, got it.

Again, I don't mind so much, as long as it is 'loving'. If it is just for the thrill, I find it boring, but then again, they may enjoy.

Eric

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 9:28 pm

Yep, the line should be drawn..........perhaps after postion 342 in the Kama Sutra!!
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 9:49 pm

Right Said fred was/is gay . . . I doubt Eric would want to identify with that, given his penchant for talking about his sexual, err, pleasantries. :)

'nuff said Image

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 9:54 pm

don't have a pet peeve but sure some things annoy me, like:

beenhere10years wrote:People who chew with their mouths open

Em Eye wrote:people who stop as soon as they get off the end of the escalator!!! If they stop where can I go if I'm right behind them!!!

varun wrote:Tailgaters!

other peeves:

- people who don't pick up their doggy's poo.

- women who enter a washroom and cut to the front to stand in front of a cubicle when there's an obvious queue for all the cubicles, whichever is available first.

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Then why is it that 25 years of courtesy campaigns have had absolutely no effect at all (I've been here for 23 of them). Yes, littering has slowed down, but only due to the $1000 fine. That and more bangladeshi sanitation workers in the estates. People are just as rude and discourteous as always. It's almost like it is a genetic defect like myopia here.

actually there's a bangladeshi worker in my estate that's extremely polite, waves and flashes a big smile at me whenever he sees me walking my dog. but i agree that the campaigns are not effective. courtesy is not something you teach in a campaign, it's a way of life that people pick up from their environment. as more singaporeans work and live overseas and return here we will have a more polite society. just be patient sms! having said that, most singaporeans have reactive courtesy ie they may not initiate courteous behaviour but if you show it them they will mirror it.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 10:01 pm

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:Alfa, don't spoil the part here please, we're discussing serious stuff here: sex. 8)

Eric

Eris is in heat . . . What's up with you and the overdose of homones recently, mate?

'nuff said Image

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 10:05 pm

OK, I'm a big believer in being upfront....for the queue jumper anywhere, especially in the ladies they always get....

'Excuse me, there's a queue here you know.'.............I mean, why the hell not? I'm not there keeping a place for them.

Also people putting down cig packets, or cardigans etc to reserve a seat in hawker etc....I just sit down and tough!!

I think it's a Yorkshire saying....'It's bums what reserve seats here'...Yes, it sometimes gets you black looks or confrontations, but as I said, best in than out and I don't stand around looking meek and mild for anyone.

Don't get me wrong, I am pleasant when I say these things, but if someone stepped on my toe they'd get a 'What the hell did you do that for?' Or if someone farted deliberately or belched I'd just say, 'Disgusting' out loud. Why not, it is, after all, disgusting.

No, I'm not always looking for a scrap in life, but I'm no mambypamby either.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.