Singapore Expats Forum

What is Your Pet Peeve?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

beenhere10years
Chatter
Chatter

What is Your Pet Peeve?

Postby beenhere10years » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 7:01 am

I am extremely peevish, I have several. Here is a random sampling:

People who chew with their mouths open

Jay-walkers in front of Wisma Atria on Sunday

People who answer their cell phone at inappropriate times (during lunch, meetings, movies, etc...)

Who's next?
When you go in for a job interview, I think a good thing to ask is if they ever press charges.

-- jack handy

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 7:53 am

the term "pet peeve"
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 8:19 am

People who play mind games! Does that qualify as a pet peeve?

Read somewhere else that your other pet peeve is people saying 'Sorry'. I say that too, wonder how I got into that habit. Maybe 'cause Asians are just so nice? :P

Sorry, sorry, sorry. :D
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

beenhere10years
Chatter
Chatter

Postby beenhere10years » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 9:18 am

sapphire wrote:Read somewhere else that your other pet peeve is people saying 'Sorry'. I say that too, wonder how I got into that habit. Maybe 'cause Asians are just so nice? :P

No, no you misunderstand. It's not a politeness thing. I think Singaporeans are not used to people saying 'excuse me' for passing in front of them, knocking them accidently, nudging them in a queue. The amount of personal space here is much different than in any western coulture I know -- so much less. So to say 'excuse me' is not done here since there is no perceived infringement.

A well placed, meaningful 'sorry' is a wonderful thing however.
When you go in for a job interview, I think a good thing to ask is if they ever press charges.

-- jack handy

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 9:18 am

people who are not aware of others in their direct environment, with as a result bumping into others, not saying 'thank you' (the biggest of all biggest irritations to me here), not noticing the common courtesies etc.

Eric

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 9:26 am

Banana?

Just kidding! :mrgreen:

Actually, I've got lots of them but I'm so peeved I won't bother to list them.......Not good for my HBP. :oops!:

varun
Regular
Regular

Postby varun » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 10:08 am

Okay, where do I start?

1. People not having the common courtesy to hold a door open for someone just behind
2. People for whom a door has been held open, even perhaps longer than reasonable, not having the courtesy to say "thank you" and just walking straight past
3. People who drag their feet when they walk (shuffle shuffle shuffle shuffle STOP!!!!!)
4. Tailgaters!
5. Tailgaters!
6. Tailgaters!

- V.
The easiest home monitoring service worldwide - and it's free. www.homecamera.com

Ling2
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Ling2 » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 11:06 am

I am not perfect, so I can't expect others to be....but wish there's more considerable people around, share a thought for others...shouldn't be hard to do...

Em Eye
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Em Eye » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 12:24 pm

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:people who are not aware of others in their direct environment, with as a result bumping into others, not saying 'thank you' (the biggest of all biggest irritations to me here), not noticing the common courtesies etc.

Eric

Couldn't agree more!!! Is please and thank you just an European behaviour are we being to tough expecting it here in Asia?

My biggest Peeve though is people who stop as soon as they get off the end of the escalator!!! If they stop where can I go if I'm right behind them!!! And the simple fact of life that if someone is walking out of a shop the person walking in should give way.

Sud Afrika
Regular
Regular

Postby Sud Afrika » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 12:29 pm

People who advertise for 'financial executive/managment jobs with no experience required' jobs.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 12:56 pm

Pet Peeves? Oh boy, let me at 'em

Spacial Awareness!!!!!!! People walking right in front of you, cutting across your path so closely. . . .

Holding the door open for someone . . . and being looked at like it's your job to do so.

Cinema etiquette . . . .

Shuffling of feet . . . try explaining to your kids to lift their feet when adults don't do it.

Table Manners - how loud do people have to be when eating? Can one eat with closed mouth? How about sitting upright and not talking with your mouth full? Again , try telling your kids that table manners are important . . .

'Hello, thank you, you're welocme' . . . . don't get me started on this.

Seing ill-qualified and too young maids taking care of their boss's children all day, running after them with their food on a spoon while the brat walks/runs around the restaurant and the parents say nothing.
This, while you say to your 7-year old: Umm, no, you must sit and finish your meal . . . But, why Papa, when all the other kids are . . .

Ah, the list goes on and on . . .

'nuff said Image

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Baron Greenback » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 1:54 pm

Bad manners in general.

Sarcasm on Forums - just doesn't work

uncles who have a white vicks vapour thing stuck up their nose all the time - why is that?!?

censorship in Singapore for films & TV

my cat waking me up

trying something new in the kitchen, spending ages preparing & cooking & then it tastes bad :(

beer being overpriced

newcastle losing

:???:
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

Alfalfa
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Alfalfa » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 2:09 pm

Farting in public with the look of innocence..

Burping loudly..(my son always does this I hate it!)
We'll get along fine as soon as you realize I'm Good.

Sud Afrika
Regular
Regular

Postby Sud Afrika » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 2:41 pm

Plastic utensils they give you in foodcourts,that break on contact.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 2:43 pm

Ling2 wrote:...shouldn't be hard to do...

Then why is it that 25 years of courtesy campaigns have had absolutely no effect at all (I've been here for 23 of them). Yes, littering has slowed down, but only due to the $1000 fine. That and more bangladeshi sanitation workers in the estates. People are just as rude and discourteous as always. It's almost like it is a genetic defect like myopia here.

sms