Singapore Expats Forum

Obscure words... calling all walking encyclopedias!

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Obscure words... calling all walking encyclopedias!

Postby Wind In My Hair » Mon, 19 Sep 2005 11:13 pm

need some help here. what is an acrophile?

also, was reading eric's thread on men crying and wanted to use the word 'emote' but my dictionary didn't have such a word, though i could have sworn i've seen it used somewhere before. is it legit?

and since i'm on the topic, what in the world does the supposedly longest word 'supercalifragilisticexpealodocius' (sp?) mean and is it really a word?

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Mon, 19 Sep 2005 11:24 pm

Acrophile is"one who lives in the mountains, one who loves mountain"

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Mon, 19 Sep 2005 11:26 pm

Main Entry: acrophile
Part of Speech: noun
Definition: one who lives in the mountains, one who loves mountain
Etymology: Greek acro- `summit, peak'

e·mote ( P ) Pronunciation Key (-mt)
intr.v. e·mot·ed, e·mot·ing, e·motes
To express emotion, especially in an excessive or theatrical manner: “The more she emotes, the less he listens, and the less he listens, the more strident and emotive she becomes”

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 7:43 am

thanks, saint and SE. it's great to have helpful people like you on the forum.

SE, i always knew you were a walking encyclopaedia!

beenhere10years
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Obscure words... calling all walking encyclopedias!

Postby beenhere10years » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 7:43 am

Wind In My Hair wrote:what in the world does the supposedly longest word 'supercalifragilisticexpealodocius' (sp?) mean and is it really a word?

The longest word, in English, according to Wikipedia is:

floccinaucinihilipilification

which means the act of estimating is useless.

supercalifragilisticexpealodocius?

This from www.idMb.com:

The "word" supercalifragilisticexpialidocious seems to predate the movie, but language experts have yet to pin down by how much, or what, exactly, it originally meant. An urban myth is growing that it had something to do with Irish (or Scottish) prostitutes. Its use in the movie may have been inspired by a nonsense word the Sherman Brothers learned at summer camp. They remembered having a word that the adults didn't know, and thought the Banks children should have one too.
When you go in for a job interview, I think a good thing to ask is if they ever press charges.

-- jack handy

sundaymorningstaple

Re: Obscure words... calling all walking encyclopedias!

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 9:24 am

beenhere10years wrote:
Wind In My Hair wrote:what in the world does the supposedly longest word 'supercalifragilisticexpealodocius' (sp?) mean and is it really a word?

The longest word, in English, according to Wikipedia is:

floccinaucinihilipilification

which means the act of estimating is useless.

supercalifragilisticexpealodocius?

This from www.idMb.com:

The "word" supercalifragilisticexpialidocious seems to predate the movie, but language experts have yet to pin down by how much, or what, exactly, it originally meant. An urban myth is growing that it had something to do with Irish (or Scottish) prostitutes. Its use in the movie may have been inspired by a nonsense word the Sherman Brothers learned at summer camp. They remembered having a word that the adults didn't know, and thought the Banks children should have one too.

More absolutely useless information:

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyll-llantysiliogogogoch

This is the name of a town in North Wales. The name translates as "The church of St. Mary in the hollow of white hazel trees near the rapid whirlpool by St. Tysilio's of the red cave" in Welsh, has long claimed the fame of having the longest name in the world. However, there is a hill in New Zealand called

Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateapokaiwhenuakitanatahu

This Maori mouthful translates into English as "the place where Tamatea, the man with the big knees, who slid, climbed and swallowed mountains, known as 'landeater,' played his flute to his loved one." I consider this a lean short-story, however, and have serious reservations about giving New Zealand the gold, especially without photographic evidence. But you may count it if you like.

However, before you make up your mind, consider the favorite of the Guinness Book of Records, the name of Bangkok (Krungthep) in Thai:

Krungthepmahanakonbowornratanakosinmahintarayudyayamahadiloponoparatanarajthaniburiromudomrajniwesmahasatarnamornpimarnavatarsatitsakattiyavisanukamphrasit

sms

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 11:31 pm

those are amazing tidbits of knowledge. i knew this was the right place to ask my question and get more than i asked for besides! and i guess it's time for me to get a better dictionary...

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 11:37 pm

This is one of my favourites

Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia - Is the fear of long words!

samantha
Chatter
Chatter

Postby samantha » Thu, 22 Sep 2005 8:45 pm

hahaha you guys are not just walking encyclopedias but walking dictionaries too!!

I'm happy remaining a walking encyclopedia.. ask me anything to do with history, literature, art, geography and all sorts of facts... :wink:
I'm so stupid that I surprise myself sometimes...

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Thu, 22 Sep 2005 9:09 pm

Ah Samantha, just the person as I have a history question, when's my wedding anniversary as i'll be in big trouble if I forget :D

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 22 Sep 2005 9:20 pm

Saint wrote:Ah Samantha, just the person as I have a history question, when's my wedding anniversary as i'll be in big trouble if I forget :D

I know how that is! My daughter just reminded me last night that this saturday is my anniversary. I'd have forgotten it for sure. :oops!:

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Thu, 22 Sep 2005 9:32 pm

Thank god for small mercies, at least she did't remind you on Saturday that last night was your anniversary! That would be messy 8-[

samantha
Chatter
Chatter

Postby samantha » Sat, 24 Sep 2005 12:07 pm

lets see.. its definitely somewhere within the next 525600mins... :cool:
I'm so stupid that I surprise myself sometimes...