Singapore Expats Forum

oktoberfest ?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

User avatar
KT
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 164
Joined: Thu, 09 Sep 2004

oktoberfest ?

Postby KT » Mon, 19 Sep 2005 5:15 pm

what are the places for oktoberfest.....

....the only one i m aware of is the paulaner at milennia !

any other good ones ?
"El tango no está en los pies. Está en el corazón."

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2308
Joined: Thu, 21 Oct 2004

Postby dot dot dot » Mon, 19 Sep 2005 6:04 pm

Jut follow these girls when you see them around KT...

Image


:wink:

Eric

yuks
Regular
Regular
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun, 19 Jun 2005
Location: Singapore

Postby yuks » Mon, 19 Sep 2005 6:56 pm

I usually go to Crossroads at the Marriott - they usually do set meals that come with a pint of Erdinger for a couple of weeks :)

User avatar
Vaucluse
Director
Director
Posts: 3443
Joined: Sun, 10 Jul 2005

Postby Vaucluse » Mon, 19 Sep 2005 9:51 pm

yuks wrote:I usually go to Crossroads at the Marriott - they usually do set meals that come with a pint of Erdinger for a couple of weeks :)


Pint? Wuss . . .
......................................................

'nuff said Image

User avatar
KT
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 164
Joined: Thu, 09 Sep 2004

Postby KT » Mon, 19 Sep 2005 9:51 pm

eric !!

u just led me to todays newspaper ....come on !!!!!

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:Jut follow these girls when you see them around KT...

Image


:wink:

Eric
"El tango no está en los pies. Está en el corazón."

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2308
Joined: Thu, 21 Oct 2004

Postby dot dot dot » Mon, 19 Sep 2005 9:57 pm

ok, ok...

Although I am no longer a reporter, I wil do some research and come beack to you, where there is some decent oktoberfeste to be done...

Gimme a few days, I was actually looking for it myself.

How about Brewerkz, anybody knows whether they do some?

Eric

User avatar
KT
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 164
Joined: Thu, 09 Sep 2004

Postby KT » Mon, 19 Sep 2005 10:01 pm

Yea thats better... i know ur posts have increased in quantity ... but dont let the quality drop :wink:

.... i think i ll check with the brewerkz people tommorow.... lets see if they have got some oktoberfest brews !

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:ok, ok...

Although I am no longer a reporter, I wil do some research and come beack to you, where there is some decent oktoberfeste to be done...

Gimme a few days, I was actually looking for it myself.

How about Brewerkz, anybody knows whether they do some?

Eric
"El tango no está en los pies. Está en el corazón."

User avatar
Bafana
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1393
Joined: Sun, 11 Apr 2004
Location: Singapore

Postby Bafana » Fri, 23 Sep 2005 3:49 pm

Last year the Swiss Club had some big open to everyone functions.

Maybe some of the other clubs and local radio stations will also be arranging events :P

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2308
Joined: Thu, 21 Oct 2004

Postby dot dot dot » Fri, 23 Sep 2005 4:27 pm

At last wednesdays' WNDC I was told that indeed the Swiss Club has 'the real thing'. Big tent with long tables and seatings. But it supposedly would be sold out though.

I didnot check to be honest, whether or not it is indeed sold out.

And Paulaner at Millenia Walk seems to have a kind of oktoberfest as well.

KT & others, should we organize a group and go have a few beers?

Eric

User avatar
KT
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 164
Joined: Thu, 09 Sep 2004

Postby KT » Fri, 23 Sep 2005 5:51 pm

Sounds great !! Lets do it ...


Eric from the Netherlands wrote:At last wednesdays' WNDC I was told that indeed the Swiss Club has 'the real thing'. Big tent with long tables and seatings. But it supposedly would be sold out though.

I didnot check to be honest, whether or not it is indeed sold out.

And Paulaner at Millenia Walk seems to have a kind of oktoberfest as well.

KT & others, should we organize a group and go have a few beers?

Eric
"El tango no está en los pies. Está en el corazón."

User avatar
Wild Rover
Regular
Regular
Posts: 136
Joined: Thu, 08 Sep 2005
Location: Singapore

Postby Wild Rover » Sat, 24 Sep 2005 1:11 am

Count me in too.......................!!
What's worse, ignorance or apathy? I don't know and I don't care

User avatar
Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2306
Joined: Tue, 19 Jul 2005

Postby Wind In My Hair » Sat, 24 Sep 2005 9:20 pm

was wondering what oktoberfest was all about and did some research of my own. thought i'd paste some info here just in case others care to know what it's all about besides an excuse to drink beer! :D

"The historical background: the first Oktoberfest was held in the year 1810 in honor of the Bavarian Crown Prince Ludwig’s marriage to Princess Therese von Sachsen-Hildburghausen. The festivities began on October 12, 1810 and ended on October 17th with a horse race. In the following years, the celebrations were repeated and, later, the festival was prolonged and moved forward into September.

By moving the festivities up, it allowed for better weather conditions. Because the September nights were warmer, the visitors were able to enjoy the gardens outside the tents and the stroll over “die Wiesen”

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2308
Joined: Thu, 21 Oct 2004

Postby dot dot dot » Sat, 24 Sep 2005 10:41 pm

Wow.... Wimh, I love your thoroughness and your search for substance on all occasions.

I am afraid though, that this rich history is in no way anyhow related or remembered to / at todays' 'fest' itself. It is just an excuse for drinking as much as one can. I have been to the 'real' thing in Muenich a couple of times and it is vulgar to the bone (Dutch saying...). "Saufen" as the Germans tend to say, before they start drinking themselves to a state of unconsciousness....

Eric

User avatar
Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2306
Joined: Tue, 19 Jul 2005

Postby Wind In My Hair » Sun, 25 Sep 2005 1:27 pm

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:Wow.... Wimh, I love your thoroughness and your search for substance on all occasions.

I am afraid though, that this rich history is in no way anyhow related or remembered to / at todays' 'fest' itself. It is just an excuse for drinking as much as one can. I have been to the 'real' thing in Muenich a couple of times and it is vulgar to the bone (Dutch saying...). "Saufen" as the Germans tend to say, before they start drinking themselves to a state of unconsciousness....

search for substance? you flatter me eric. i just didn't want to come on here sounding like an ignoramus and ask all you seasoned oktoberfesters "what is oktoberfest?" :D

anyway from the previous posts it's obvious that it's just an excuse to drink yourselves silly... and since i'm not a drinker i wondered if there was anything else in it for me... but i guess not, have to go look for other types of ...fests!

User avatar
little_bold_bear
Member
Member
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat, 04 Jun 2005
Location: The Bayshore

Postby little_bold_bear » Mon, 26 Sep 2005 10:19 pm

Nothing like being in Munich for Oktoberfest! And that's where I'm headed.... auf wiedersehen!


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests