Singapore Expats Forum

Honest failure or Corrupted Success?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Ling2
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Ling2 » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 11:51 am

SE, not sure if there's really honest success, are you sure every decision made is truly ethical all the way? You might be so, but what about your partners? your employees?

Is Bill Gate a honest success or corrupted success?

Honest failure = people who are often honest, don't make it too big, it's too harsh to call them a failure but it's a saying...

oxymoron they could be, but don't we often contradict ourselves? :P well at least I am guilty of it sometimes

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 12:50 pm

Ling2 wrote:SE, not sure if there's really honest success, are you sure every decision made is truly ethical all the way? You might be so, but what about your partners? your employees?

Is Bill Gate a honest success or corrupted success?

Honest failure = people who are often honest, don't make it too big, it's too harsh to call them a failure but it's a saying...

oxymoron they could be, but don't we often contradict ourselves? :P well at least I am guilty of it sometimes

I think you have a very negative view of the human condition. For myself, I have made mistakes but I have always operated from an ethical position. My partner and I started our company founded on strong ethics... I'd be happy to post our code of conduct should you be interested.

As for Bill Gates, yes I think he is ethical. He is a ruthless business man but he plays within the rules. When it comes to ethics and business, what constitutes ethics? Is it ethical to drive your competitor out of business? If you think not, then Bill Gates is not ethical. If you think that the free market determines who survives, then Gates is ethical. I will say of Mr. Gates that he has never hired lobbyists to influence Congress for special consideration... compare this to the many other companies that try to influence legislation to their benefit.

Most all the small business men I deal with are honorable and ethical. A contract is nothing without the handshake and trust that go with it.

This is not to say that there are not unethical people in this world. I think the 80/20 rule applies. 80 percent are good, 20 percent would cross over the wire. Like the small businessman who would cheat you by substituting an inferior product. Or the manager of a large corporation that permitted the Bhopal disaster to occur. Greed and power are the the source of this kind of ethical corruption.

I may not be the head of a multi national (I don't want to be, but I am a long way from a failure. I run my own company. I pay wages to people so that they can live. I'm having fun doing it. And I go to sleep every night with a clear conscience. And so do most all of the people I know.

No, it really should be "an honest success" and a "corrupt failure" for no matter how much material things you accumulate, you're still corrupt if you have not done it ethically.

Ling2
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Ling2 » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 5:45 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:I think you have a very negative view of the human condition. For myself, I have made mistakes but I have always operated from an ethical position. My partner and I started our company founded on strong ethics... I'd be happy to post our code of conduct should you be interested. .

Oh, I do not have negative view of us human at all :) My mum often thinks am too navie, thinking too good of us human. It's just a question, not my view :) But it's good reinforcement to hear good stories every now and then :) It is a tough world sometimes, also in business dealing. A lot has been committed for the survival of a company.

Strong Eagle wrote:Most all the small business men I deal with are honorable and ethical. A contract is nothing without the handshake and trust that go with it.

This is not to say that there are not unethical people in this world. I think the 80/20 rule applies. 80 percent are good, 20 percent would cross over the wire. Like the small businessman who would cheat you by substituting an inferior product. Or the manager of a large corporation that permitted the Bhopal disaster to occur. Greed and power are the the source of this kind of ethical corruption.

Strong Eagle wrote:I may not be the head of a multi national (I don't want to be, but I am a long way from a failure. I run my own company. I pay wages to people so that they can live. I'm having fun doing it. And I go to sleep every night with a clear conscience. And so do most all of the people I know.

No, it really should be "an honest success" and a "corrupt failure" for no matter how much material things you accumulate, you're still corrupt if you have not done it ethically.

Yes I sleep very well too hehehehe :) you are right to spot on that the meaning of those words are purely materialistic and on a personal, spiritual level, you are an honest success :)