Singapore Expats Forum

Does man make a better boss than woman?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Ling2
Chatter
Chatter

Does man make a better boss than woman?

Postby Ling2 » Thu, 15 Sep 2005 9:16 am

I feel unsettled today coz I fired someone this week...

It's ok if I fired someone who's a menace, troublemaker or unethical(done that before). But this manager has been hardworking, just failed to meet our requirements and lacking in contribution....

Though we did give him contacts to seek other job opportunities... I thought about his age, his family depending on him... I feel sorry for him.

I feel unfit for my post sometimes, I know I gotta look at the bigger picture, the company as a whole... but it gets to me still... :-|

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Thu, 15 Sep 2005 10:25 am

Did he spend his working hours on an internet forum instead of working?

'nuff said Image

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Baron Greenback » Thu, 15 Sep 2005 10:40 am

always to the point Vaucluse - nice retort.

Ling I think the point you are making is that men find it easier to disassociate their feelings form business whereas women are more emotional creatures. To be fair I know some very emotional men & some very cold women so I don't think it really matters.

Don't worry about it - he deserved it
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

locallass
Chatter
Chatter

Postby locallass » Thu, 15 Sep 2005 11:01 am

Regardless of gender, I'll rather work for a bastard/bitch who can make decisions, especially tough ones. A manager doesn't have to be popular. But he/she has to be respected.

beenhere10years
Chatter
Chatter

Postby beenhere10years » Thu, 15 Sep 2005 11:31 am

Vaucluse wrote:Did he spend his working hours on an internet forum instead of working?

You resemble that remark...
When you go in for a job interview, I think a good thing to ask is if they ever press charges.

-- jack handy

Alfalfa
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Alfalfa » Thu, 15 Sep 2005 11:36 am

Ling...male or female does not matter.. It's the person itself.. If the manager has a compassion and has the staffs welfare at heart then they should be someone well respected.

As for you I think you must have fired the guy due to valid reasons so be cool about it alright.

You'll get over it. :)
We'll get along fine as soon as you realize I'm Good.

Ling2
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Ling2 » Thu, 15 Sep 2005 12:19 pm

Vaucluse wrote:Did he spend his working hours on an internet forum instead of working?

Honestly, I don't breathe down the neck of my employees to check their work. I only care about result and performance. They can surf the net, but give me result on the required deadline.

Baron, I guess gender got nothing to do with it. But I am cold when its dealing with work matters, but it's mainly a false front... I am hardly a cold person at all.

locallass you are right abt making decisions. I just don't like to deal with HR :? I am thinking of outsourcing this task :D

Alfalfa, thanks! :)

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Thu, 15 Sep 2005 12:22 pm

If I may generalise, women are a pain to work with! There are always exceptions, but when it comes to decision making, most of them suck at it! :x
So, Ling2, you're an exception which is good.
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Postby banana » Thu, 15 Sep 2005 2:12 pm

What you need are a couple of hired goons, I recommend Wham and Vodkashot, and a big red button that says "Release The Hounds".
some signatures are more equal than others

Ling2
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Ling2 » Thu, 15 Sep 2005 3:27 pm

Thanks for the suggestion :P I was over it before noon. Anyway, this guy is an expat in Singapore, so the move would be a pain itself. But that's part n parcel of life.

I can't say all decision I made was always good, but I made them quick only to get things moving...

Oh I am surely not the most popular :shock: I don't know if they respect me more..or actually fear me more :-k but I left that thinking on dessert table hahahahaha :lol:

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Thu, 15 Sep 2005 3:27 pm

beenhere10years wrote:

I do resemble that remark, but then I never said I was working . . . :D

Ling2 - it's called tongue in cheek . . .

'nuff said Image

Ling2
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Ling2 » Thu, 15 Sep 2005 4:03 pm

Vaucluse wrote:
beenhere10years wrote:

I do resemble that remark, but then I never said I was working . . . :D

Ling2 - it's called tongue in cheek . . .

Hahahaha...yes Vaucluse, I know.. :P but like I said, doesn't matter as long as you give me result...same goes to me :P

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Thu, 15 Sep 2005 4:17 pm

Telling someone they are not needed is dreadful in all aspects of life, but more especially so when their livelihood is at stake.

The only way to deal with it is within tried and tested confines, that is, give them the chance to perform, let them know it was not upheld on their part, give them a warning, check their progress, then it's a done deal if they need to be let go.

All would have been fair then.

I'm sure you didn't just get up one morning and think, 'Hmm, feel like firing someone today, now, who will it be?' Did you?

No, you were fair, that's all there is to it.

Now, getting rid of extraneous people in your private life, that's another thing altogether.

Bubbs.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.

riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

Postby riversandlakes » Thu, 15 Sep 2005 6:13 pm

ok, my first woman boss was just my previous job - and she was a horrible person. Like I told a fellow forumer over dinner, her perverse way of persuasion was this,

"I know CEOs and directors of software companies, and I can easily find out where you are going, and I can make life not-so-good for you...but I won't actually do it."
ALL because there was no freaking way on this 3rd rock from the sun that I was going to tell you I'm taking my career prospect one step further - to a Fortune 300 in Singapore! And for Heaven's sakes keep the knife at my throat and let me wriggle out of it, instead of making an empty stupid threat? :D

The other "horrific" stories about women bosses came from my trusted uncle who attributes it to women feeling like they have something to prove in a "man's world"? Do you think so?

But let me state that out of 4 men bosses, only 1 was truly respectable - even kind of fatherly. May I call the rest incompetent even though I have not been in their shoes (yet)?

Woo, before I get shot as a thread hijacker, Ling, incompetency begets firing...unless your firm happens to be a charitable organization?

;)
Goatboy will always cherish his former goatgirl.
But the world is full of fluffier ones.

Ling2
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Ling2 » Fri, 16 Sep 2005 1:19 pm

Thanks Bubbs and rsl :)

I know am not running a charitable organization. But it's a tough time out there now, and his age was my main concern that he might not be able to get another job but maybe I just worried too much :?

Oh well, I do wonder if men do put up a false front to look tough as well?

Do you guys ever cry?