Singapore Expats Forum

Surfing in SE Asia

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Em Eye
Chatter
Chatter

Surfing in SE Asia

Postby Em Eye » Wed, 14 Sep 2005 9:11 pm

I'm would like to spend a week or 2 surfing over the New Year. I was wondering if any one can give me some options?

Thanks

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Postby banana » Thu, 15 Sep 2005 1:38 am

yeah the party crowd can be so boisterous and fun loving

*hugs cable modem*
some signatures are more equal than others

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Thu, 15 Sep 2005 12:31 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: @ banana's comment!
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Re: Surfing in SE Asia

Postby dot dot dot » Thu, 15 Sep 2005 12:37 pm

Em Eye wrote:I'm would like to spend a week or 2 surfing over the New Year. I was wondering if any one can give me some options?

Thanks

Go Bali, good season for surfing in January.

Eric

barmyarmy

Postby barmyarmy » Thu, 15 Sep 2005 2:48 pm

Unfortunatly it is in fact the wrong time of year for most of the good breaks in Indonesia as its the wet season. The surf camps in Java (G-Land) are closed till around 1st March, Nias is a big risk of getting waves especially the hassle of getting there, but you might get lucky though and it will def be uncrowded??

The best bet will be the east coast of Bali places like Nusa Dua, Sanur etc. But around the corner on the west side, starting at Ulawatu it will be small and very very crowded and winds mostly onshore. Most of the other world famous reefs in Bali including, Padang Padang, Bingin, and Dreamland will be almost always flat.
This all depends on your level of competency though, if your a beginer then Kuta will be the place all year round?
Best time of year for the reefs is May to September.

Another good tip is to buy a surfing guide, try this Indo Surf and Lingo:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... k_code=as1

Or try "Wave finder Indonesia" at barnes and noble: http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bf ... mtype=book

Good luck and good waves.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Thu, 15 Sep 2005 5:32 pm

Should have been more exact indeed barmyarmy, it is from Kuta all the way up at the eastcoast. But Kuta is surfin' year round, isn't it?
I'm pretty sure...

Eric

skimilk
Regular
Regular

Postby skimilk » Thu, 15 Sep 2005 5:47 pm

I love this topic!

I haven't gone surfing since I got here (more than half a year) because I'm just too lazy to do my own research so I'm glad to have stumbled upon this topic...

So Kuta is good year round, eh? would they have board rentals? Are there hotels/inns anywhere near the area? Are the locals friendly?

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Thu, 15 Sep 2005 6:16 pm

Kuta is the most touristy place in whole Bali, if not Indonesia... yep, loads and loads of hotels, in all ranges. Loads of surfers, Kuta beach is full of them. Easy to rent equipment, no problem at all.

Eric

Sud Afrika
Regular
Regular

Postby Sud Afrika » Thu, 15 Sep 2005 6:39 pm

All year round yea..but to catch the perfect wave is another thing tho.

barmyarmy

Postby barmyarmy » Thu, 15 Sep 2005 8:32 pm

Yes the place is very friendly, in fact too friendly, you will be hassled to death sitting on the beach in Kuta, ok if you surf though as you can paddle away from the pests.
Its only going to get worse as I believe that tourism is down 30% as Bali is apparently being boycotted by lots of Australians because of the treatment of Schapelle Corby, there tourists and reports of random drug testing on Australians in pubs and night clubs???
I can agree with the boycott - as long as we're talking about corrupt officials, not the balinese people who will forever remain a beautiful race.

http://www.atsnn.com/story/165575.html

Another good thing is to padlock your bags and check they are still locked when picking up your luggage at the baggage carousel in the airport. If they are missing report it straight away, before you reach customs.

beenhere10years
Chatter
Chatter

Postby beenhere10years » Thu, 15 Sep 2005 8:53 pm

barmyarmy wrote:Yes the place is very friendly, in fact too friendly, you will be hassled to death sitting on the beach in Kuta,

Agree Barmy. I went with a girlfriend a few years ago, no husbands no kids. What a different experience. I will never go back to Kuta. We were harrassed, mauled, poked, licked, my hair was even braided by a pack of roving haridressers -- I'm not kidding. It was awful. I like the sanitized more sedate Ubud scene myself. No surf but nice ambience. :)
When you go in for a job interview, I think a good thing to ask is if they ever press charges.

-- jack handy

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Thu, 15 Sep 2005 9:54 pm

Ubud is a world apart, stayed there in Komaneka suites, private villa's. Spa treatments throughout the day, the top of the top.

In Kuta I once stayed with my Japanese grilfriend back then, can't remember the name of the place or the exact price we paid for the hut we stayed in, but it was probably 1% of what I paid in Ubud. In Kuta I just surfed and had other fun, in Ubud we had the most luxurious of all times, superb...

Shapelle Corby, I better not react on that one, seems to me she is in the right place now.

Eric

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Thu, 15 Sep 2005 10:20 pm

the question is, where do you want to go?

I surfed chest-to-head high waves in Phuket last weekend, it was a blast

have done Bintan, so-so, depends on your level, kind of board, shape you're in, etc.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

barmyarmy

Postby barmyarmy » Fri, 16 Sep 2005 10:49 am

EADG
Where are the spots to surf in Bintan?? Is there anyways of knowing there are waves before you go? Is it very inconsistant?
Any info on going for a surf would be great.

Level - Been surfing 26 years
Board - 6'4
Shape im in - Why have a six pack, when you can have a whole keg???

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Fri, 16 Sep 2005 10:57 am

barmyarmy,

Bintan mana mana beach huts is the surfers place at Bintan

http://www.holidaycity.com/manamana/

Just give them a call and ask, the season for surfing at Bintan is December to March, because of the monsoon starting then, with winds included.

Eric