Singapore Expats Forum

Spiders.

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Spiders.

Postby Bubbles » Wed, 14 Sep 2005 2:27 am

Hi everyone

I'm doing a book where a spider is in the plot...and it's based in Singapore. Now, I don't want to go over the top and tell lies in the book, but I seem to remember great hairy bloody things when I was there. (And that was just the men...hahaha....) No, seriously, when we lived near HV we had a couple that were bigger than my hand...my hand normal girl size.

Am I remembering wrongly here? Did I make it up? I don't think so.

Anyway, what I'm asking is, has anyone seen biggies like this there? And what would be the likely sort of spider I'd have seen? Lived near greenery, ground floor, but also saw big ones in third floor apartment.

I looked on Google and got a huge list of sorts....much too difficult to go through as to be honest I was too scared of these monsters to look closely to see if they had stripes, or what colour they were. My poor little maid was my heroine, the darling caught them for me, even though she was not keen. One spider was so big she called in a couple of other maids to help her keep her nerve up, so, I can't have imagined it.

The story has to run true otherwise kids pick up on it right away, and lots of them are brainboxes who will be at the internet right away, checking up on me.

Even if you don't know the scientific name, please tell me if there are large creepies like this, and I'm not going mad.
Ta
Bubbs.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Postby banana » Wed, 14 Sep 2005 3:15 am

Char Lot's Web?
some signatures are more equal than others

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Wed, 14 Sep 2005 8:21 am

Sorry Bubbs, no large creepies in my house. Can't help you here. I bet someone will come along soon enough with hairy details.
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

Carpe Diem
Manager
Manager

Postby Carpe Diem » Wed, 14 Sep 2005 8:28 am

sapphire wrote:Sorry Bubbs, no large creepies in my house. Can't help you here. I bet someone will come along soon enough with hairy details.

They were eaten by the geckos... :wink:
La vie est trop courte, profitons de chaque instant

Sud Afrika
Regular
Regular

Postby Sud Afrika » Wed, 14 Sep 2005 9:12 am

har lot's web?

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Wed, 14 Sep 2005 9:34 am

I think banana is closer to the truth than one might think (as always, banana, you're a heroe mate).

It is the tarantula char kway teow. It feeds on blood from hawkers, as they tend to cook them into a now quite famous local Singaporean dish. Makansutra declared this dish one of the top 15 national dishes in Singapore, now he has been bitten too!!!

His little cousin is a hemarhorrific dengue fever mosquito, maybe the second character for your book Bubbs? :wink:

Eric

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Wed, 14 Sep 2005 9:43 am

CD, one more word about geckos and I'll scream! :evil:

Ewwwww, eating spiders, that's just gross!
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

Sud Afrika
Regular
Regular

Postby Sud Afrika » Wed, 14 Sep 2005 9:45 am

But Eric.....

Down by where a National Icon sits,where legends have been borned on her field..there lies a street with magic numbers. Been known to not only suck men dry of their blood,but earthly possessions as well. Yet,these men come back again and again..almost religiously.

....a little big area known as the Har Lot.

When you get entangled in her web..... you're never the same again.

These nocturnal creatures are deadlier than the black widow.

Carpe Diem
Manager
Manager

Postby Carpe Diem » Wed, 14 Sep 2005 9:45 am

one more word about geckos
La vie est trop courte, profitons de chaque instant

Alfalfa
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Alfalfa » Wed, 14 Sep 2005 9:46 am

Sapphire afraid of geckos...hmmmm :twisted:

GECKOS..GECKOS...GECKOS.... :P
We'll get along fine as soon as you realize I'm Good.

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Wed, 14 Sep 2005 9:58 am

Yep, terrified of them creepy crawlies! They should go extinct! Serve no damn purpose in my house. No, they don't get rid of spiders or mosquitos, that's just BS!

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Wed, 14 Sep 2005 10:01 am

sorry Bubbs, I've lived in Singapore for over 30 years and done my share of forest trekking and never seen a spider that huge, but then they could all have been avoiding me, the cowards :)

guess you could check with the singapore nature society or other groups of hobbyists... they would be more likely to be of help, not really us folks on this forum who spend more time at our pcs than in the beauties and horrors of nature! :D

Sud Afrika
Regular
Regular

Re: Spiders.

Postby Sud Afrika » Wed, 14 Sep 2005 10:45 am

Bubbles wrote:Hi everyone

I'm doing a book where a spider is in the plot...and it's based in Singapore. Now, I don't want to go over the top and tell lies in the book, but I seem to remember great hairy bloody things when I was there. (And that was just the men...hahaha....) No, seriously, when we lived near HV we had a couple that were bigger than my hand...my hand normal girl size.

Am I remembering wrongly here? Did I make it up? I don't think so.

Anyway, what I'm asking is, has anyone seen biggies like this there? And what would be the likely sort of spider I'd have seen? Lived near greenery, ground floor, but also saw big ones in third floor apartment.

I looked on Google and got a huge list of sorts....much too difficult to go through as to be honest I was too scared of these monsters to look closely to see if they had stripes, or what colour they were. My poor little maid was my heroine, the darling caught them for me, even though she was not keen. One spider was so big she called in a couple of other maids to help her keep her nerve up, so, I can't have imagined it.

The story has to run true otherwise kids pick up on it right away, and lots of them are brainboxes who will be at the internet right away, checking up on me.

Even if you don't know the scientific name, please tell me if there are large creepies like this, and I'm not going mad.
Ta
Bubbs.

Bubs on a serious note:

Yea I have had a couple of close encounters with them hairy crawly creatures. I was stayong at place on college green near the adam road food centre.This was before the re-modelled the whole area.

The biggest one I saw was the size of my palm ( and trust me it's big ) and when the legs were spread out it could literally cover my face.

The other one was slightly smaller,different species altogether but somehow more menacing,you can tell by their stance when threatened.

sundaymorningstaple

Re: Spiders.

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 14 Sep 2005 11:18 am

Bubbles wrote:Even if you don't know the scientific name, please tell me if there are large creepies like this, and I'm not going mad.
Ta
Bubbs.

Bubbs, they are Orb Spiders. Batik Golden Web Spider (Nephila antipodiana) or possibly
Golden Web Spider (Nephila pilipes)
Classification: Family Araneidae, Orb-Web Spiders.
Habitat: Common in primary and secondary forests, waste-land and gardens.
Female: 30-50 mm.
Male: 5-6 mm.
Distribution: Singapore, Myanmar, Papua New Guinea, Sri Lanka, India, China, Japan, Northern Australia.

Image Image

sms

Sud Afrika
Regular
Regular

Postby Sud Afrika » Wed, 14 Sep 2005 11:26 am

Hey SMS!!!

The one I saw,the more menacing looking one looked like the one in the pic on the left mate!

..you bring back memories for me :shock:

Return to “General Discussions”