Singapore Expats

Roast chicken

Discuss about food, eating places, shopping centres, clubs, pubs, massage, sports, travel & holidays. Share tips on best place to chill, party, relax or travel destinations.

Roast chicken

Post by Guest » Sun, 11 Sep 2005 2:27 pm

I have probably left this a bit late...and have seen this mentioned previously, but can anyone suggest a good recipe for roast a chicken? It's Sunday afternoon and thought I'd have a roast for dinner tonight. Any ideas greatly appreciated. If not for tonight, at least for next time. :wink:

Matney
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Matney » Sun, 11 Sep 2005 2:28 pm

Not that it makes a great difference, but that was from me looking for a roast chicken recipe. :???:

Carpe Diem
Manager
Manager

Post by Carpe Diem » Sun, 11 Sep 2005 3:25 pm

Easiest way:

Put full chicken - when I mean full of course, it must be dead and no feathers on it or guts inside. Just to avoid complaints later... :wink:

So put the full chicken in a dish, spread a bit of margarine on it, salt & pepper. if you like onions peel a few, cut into large pieces and put them in the dish.
Put the dish into the oven and set oven to about 180°C.
After about 30 minutes turn the chicken upside down.
Another 30 minutes and it's ready!

Time might depend on the size of the beast... So when it's finished if you see some blood at he joints or meat looks a bit pink it means it needs more time.

This recipe is so simple that I am able to do it!
La vie est trop courte, profitons de chaque instant

beenhere10years
Chatter
Chatter

Post by beenhere10years » Mon, 12 Sep 2005 7:42 am

Hi Matney, this is by far my favorite Roast Chicken recipe. It is from The Barefoot Contessa book and unlike so many of her recipes, it can be made just as well here as it can at home.

CD, since you were asking about American food earlier and you obviously know how to cook, I suggest you pick up this book as well.

Perfect Roast Chicken

1 5-6 lb chicken (OK two smaller ones work too)

Kosher salt or sea salt

Freshly ground pepper

1 large bunch of fresh thyme (do not substitute dried)

1 lemon, halved

1 head of garlic, cut in half crosswise

2 tablespoons of melted butter

1 Spanish onion

Preheat oven to 425 F. Make sure it is clean or it will smoke. Rinse chicken inside and out. Remove excess fat and feathers. Pat to dry and place in roasting pan. Liberally salt and pepper chicken inside and out.

Stuff the cavaty with thyme, lemon and all the garlic. Brush the outside with butter and sprinkle again with salt and pepper. Tie legs together with cooking string or tuck into place and scatter onion slices around chicken.

Roast for 1 1/2 hours or until juices run clear.

Of course you can roast whatever vegetables in the pan as wull and then your meal is basically done. Hope you can make it soon, it's lovely.
When you go in for a job interview, I think a good thing to ask is if they ever press charges.

-- jack handy

Matney
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Matney » Tue, 13 Sep 2005 10:16 pm

Can you find fresh thyme in the shops here? Haven't looked yet, but just wondering where you have located it before, BH10Y.

We did have our roast chicken, made must the same way I always do and similiar to the method CD mentioned, but without the onions. It was delicious! :lol:

beenhere10years
Chatter
Chatter

Post by beenhere10years » Wed, 14 Sep 2005 5:53 am

I have bought it Cold Sorage gourmet and at Tanglin. I'm sure it's at most Cold Storages too. It's not loose like parsley and cilantro, it's packaged like the chives and dill. Buono Appetito!
When you go in for a job interview, I think a good thing to ask is if they ever press charges.

-- jack handy