Singapore Expats Forum

What is it like for a Foreigner to look for a job?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

siampep

What is it like for a Foreigner to look for a job?

Postby siampep » Sat, 10 Sep 2005 11:50 pm

Hi

I would like some advice and information.... I am from overseas and my girlfriend is Singaporean. Is it difficult to find job openings there? I will be graduating with a Science degree.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 11 Sep 2005 11:43 am

A new graduate, no experience, not a singaporean.......virtually impossible.

Unless from Malaysia and willing to be a factory worker for 600-800/month.

sms

Scorpion
Editor
Editor

Job

Postby Scorpion » Sun, 18 Sep 2005 3:49 am

type of job opening are you looking into, software or what??

are you a fresh-grad?.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Sun, 18 Sep 2005 9:31 am

Agree with SMS. Virtually impossible if yu want to use your degree.

'nuff said Image

curious...

Postby curious... » Sun, 18 Sep 2005 7:46 pm

I believe you are headhunters? 8) Could you then tell us what are roughly the minimum requirements to get attention? :wink:

Thanks. :)

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Mon, 19 Sep 2005 11:04 am

curious... wrote:I believe you are headhunters? 8) Could you then tell us what are roughly the minimum requirements to get attention? :wink:

And you think that insults will get you help?

'nuff said Image

Pal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Pal » Mon, 19 Sep 2005 11:13 am

I believe you guys can give better advice than that? :oops: ](*,)

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Mon, 19 Sep 2005 11:27 am

Pal wrote:I believe you guys can give better advice than that? :oops: ](*,)

Possibly, but with this amount of information . . . . No.

All we know is that he is from overseas (???) and has not yet obtained a science degree (???). How would that help in any way?

Judging by the moniker he is Thai, or not.

He does not yet have a degree, but when he does will that be a from a recognised University or College or Institute or the corner shop?

Does he have any work experience? At anything?

So, if I call a headhunter and ask for a job, telling him only that I will have a science degree (don't know which discipline), will that headhunter jump up and down and match my 'resumee' with all sorts of jobs?

Serioosuly, no-one here has been unkind to the guy, but with his info . . .

'nuff said Image

curious...

Postby curious... » Mon, 19 Sep 2005 11:37 am

Vaucluse wrote:
curious... wrote:I believe you are headhunters? 8) Could you then tell us what are roughly the minimum requirements to get attention? :wink:

1) I am not the original poster (Siampep), and not looking for help at the moment. I have a job. Just been curious after you virtually "slammed the door in the face" of Siampep. :oops:

2) What insult? :o Sorry but can't see how you felt that way :roll:

Have a good week. :)

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 19 Sep 2005 12:04 pm

curious... wrote:
Vaucluse wrote:

1) I am not the original poster (Siampep), and not looking for help at the moment. I have a job. Just been curious after you virtually "slammed the door in the face" of Siampep. :oops:

2) What insult? :o Sorry but can't see how you felt that way :roll:

Have a good week. :)

Obviously you have missed Vaucluse's tongue-in-cheek jibe. Calling him a headhunter could be construed to be an insult due to the general attitude held about recruiters (headhunters in particular) by most westerners (unless one actually found them a job that is. :wink: )

As to what would be needed? At least several years of experience in your field of study in a position not easily filled by a local.

sms

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Mon, 19 Sep 2005 12:07 pm

Thanks, SMS - my,my it is difficult being subtle or using irony here . . .

'nuff said Image

curious...

Postby curious... » Mon, 19 Sep 2005 12:49 pm

Vaucluse wrote:
Possibly, but with this amount of information . . . . No.

All we know is that he is from overseas (???) and has not yet obtained a science degree (???). How would that help in any way?

Judging by the moniker he is Thai, or not.

He does not yet have a degree, but when he does will that be a from a recognised University or College or Institute or the corner shop?

Does he have any work experience? At anything?

So, if I call a headhunter and ask for a job, telling him only that I will have a science degree (don't know which discipline), will that headhunter jump up and down and match my 'resumee' with all sorts of jobs?

Serioosuly, no-one here has been unkind to the guy, but with his info . . .

So after all the initial infromation was not suficient. This makes it more suprising to how prompt was your "NO" reply.

sundaymorningstaple wrote: Obviously you have missed Vaucluse's tongue-in-cheek jibe. Calling him a headhunter could be construed to be an insult due to the general attitude held about recruiters (headhunters in particular) by most westerners (unless one actually found them a job that is. :wink: )

As to what would be needed? At least several years of experience in your field of study in a position not easily filled by a local.

sms

Yes! These are the kind of informative replies that were expeted in the first place. :D As for headhunters I have no particular bad (or good in that matter!) feeling towards them; it's just another way of earning a living in my opinion.

Cheers :D

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Mon, 19 Sep 2005 1:31 pm

curious... wrote:As for headhunters I have no particular bad (or good in that matter!) feeling towards them; it's just another way of earning a living in my opinion.

The reason headhunters have such a bad reputation covers many bases.

a) First of all, they pretend that they really want to help you out and advance your career. But you must remember that their real customer is their paying client. You are fodder for the grist mill. When the headhunter works for the client you may be assured that you will need to fight your own fight for salaries and benefits.

b) Second, if you are any good at all, you get constant calls from people offering you more... but it's always vague... see point a) above.

c) If you are a manager and you get one of these weasels in your shop, it can seriously hurt your company, and at least endanger morale, as they call anybody and everybody trying to steal them away.

Now, I realize that they perform a valuable function and that is to vette candidates for presentation to the client company. And there are many ethical and honest head hunters who do not fall into the above categories. But there are also many, especially in the more junior positions, that are a real pain in the arse to both employers and employees.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Mon, 19 Sep 2005 4:41 pm

So after all the initial infromation was not suficient. This makes it more suprising to how prompt was your "NO" reply.

Actually, quite logical - based on the information available, the answer is no. Not logical to you?

'nuff said Image

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 19 Sep 2005 5:57 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
curious... wrote:As for headhunters I have no particular bad (or good in that matter!) feeling towards them; it's just another way of earning a living in my opinion.

The reason headhunters have such a bad reputation covers many bases.

a) First of all, they pretend that they really want to help you out and advance your career. But you must remember that their real customer is their paying client. You are fodder for the grist mill. When the headhunter works for the client you may be assured that you will need to fight your own fight for salaries and benefits.

b) Second, if you are any good at all, you get constant calls from people offering you more... but it's always vague... see point a) above.

c) If you are a manager and you get one of these weasels in your shop, it can seriously hurt your company, and at least endanger morale, as they call anybody and everybody trying to steal them away.

Now, I realize that they perform a valuable function and that is to vette candidates for presentation to the client company. And there are many ethical and honest head hunters who do not fall into the above categories. But there are also many, especially in the more junior positions, that are a real pain in the arse to both employers and employees.

OUCH! Daaaaammmmmnnnn SE - that hurt! :wink: