Singapore Expats Forum

Where to Start

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

susiepinkdog

Where to Start

Postby susiepinkdog » Sat, 10 Sep 2005 8:27 pm

My husband and I are looking to move to singapore or KL from UK. Marketing and account management roles are what we are looking for - but we have no idea where to start! we are both 27 and speak only English currently. Is our idea realistic?!! thoughts/advice etc apreciated :D

sundaymorningstaple

Re: Where to Start

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 11 Sep 2005 11:42 am

susiepinkdog wrote:My husband and I are looking to move to singapore or KL from UK. Marketing and account management roles are what we are looking for - but we have no idea where to start! we are both 27 and speak only English currently. Is our idea realistic?!! thoughts/advice etc apreciated :D

I am concerned that you may well find it difficult as you indicate that at least one of you is a Marketing person and doesn't have a clue how to market oneself.

To find a job over here you have to generally have abilities that the locals don't have (unless you are sent by your parent company - actually the rule still applies here as well). If you do not know how to market yourself how are you going to provide a client with ideas?

Not realistic IMHO.

sms

susiepinkdog

Postby susiepinkdog » Mon, 12 Sep 2005 1:17 am

actually it was more practical advice we were after e.g visas/job market - but hey - thanks for your 'help'!

Postby Guest » Mon, 12 Sep 2005 3:00 am

susiepinkdog wrote:My husband and I are looking to move to singapore or KL from UK. Marketing and account management roles are what we are looking for - but we have no idea where to start! we are both 27 and speak only English currently. Is our idea realistic?!! thoughts/advice etc apreciated :D

Singapore is quite difficult to get a work permit, they look after their own first. If your just wanting to experience life in Asia, I would head for Taiwan. I spent 5 years there and loved it. They also pay better than Singapore, and you can easy find a job teaching English in the Bushi Bans. try that for a while, visit all the exhibitions and do plenty of networking, meeting business that interests you.

Singapore is also OK, I don't work here myself, just live here, and commute to UK every 6 month for a couple of weeks. I freelance for Taiwanese companies, on a commission basis, been doing it for five years.

My wife works in Singapore, and I have a dependants pass come and go when i please, so i have never bothered to look for work here. If you land In Singapore you will automatically get 30 days, without visa, then you can jog over to Malaya and come in again, for maybe 14 days at a time. Until they catch on, that you are looking for work.

You are both young, you should go for it, take it as it comes, and use your creative side, to survive. If i can do it in my 50's and survive, I'm sure you will manage. Just make sure you have enough money to get home, and keep aquaintences at a distance.

HistorybuFF

Postby HistorybuFF » Mon, 12 Sep 2005 8:31 am

Anonymous wrote:

Singapore is quite difficult to get a work permit, they look after their own first. If your just wanting to experience life in Asia, I would head for Taiwan. I spent 5 years there and loved it. They also pay better than Singapore, and you can easy find a job teaching English in the Bushi Bans. try that for a while, visit all the exhibitions and do plenty of networking, meeting business that interests you.

Singapore is also OK, I don't work here myself, just live here, and commute to UK every 6 month for a couple of weeks. I freelance for Taiwanese companies, on a commission basis, been doing it for five years.

My wife works in Singapore, and I have a dependants pass come and go when i please, so i have never bothered to look for work here. If you land In Singapore you will automatically get 30 days, without visa, then you can jog over to Malaya and come in again, for maybe 14 days at a time. Until they catch on, that you are looking for work.

You are both young, you should go for it, take it as it comes, and use your creative side, to survive. If i can do it in my 50's and survive, I'm sure you will manage. Just make sure you have enough money to get home, and keep aquaintences at a distance.

Malaya? Dude you still living in the past. If they do follow your advice..dang I'm sure they'll be in a lot of trouble.

My advice is to do research about the country you're heading to and her neighbours. By the way for your info..it's Malaysia not Malaya.

Postby Guest » Mon, 12 Sep 2005 2:12 pm

Thanks so much - thats just the kind of expert insight we were after!

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Mon, 12 Sep 2005 2:48 pm

The Minstry of Manpower (MOM) website offers information on employment passes.

http://www.mom.gov.sg/InformationOnEmploymentPass/

Remember that it is the employer who must file for an EP and they must justify you... and demonstrate that they cannot find the needed skills locally.

If you have been working for an MNC that has offices in Singapore, this is generally easier because they can demonstrate that you have working knowledge of the company. But there are a lot of good accountants over here, and you will need to be able to demonstrate special skills... perhaps in international finance or some such... in order for you to be qualified. Ditto for marketing. If you know how to sell snow to Eskimos or have specialized qualifications or experience in hot technology areas, then you stand a chance. Otherwise, it will again be tough for there are many here with degrees and experience in the region.

It is a hassle for companies to apply for EP and thus will look to hire locals first. People have come in cold and looked for jobs and some have made it. You would do well however, to attempt to cultivate contacts in the area before coming. For most any professional position around here, everybody gets to know everybody and relationships are important.

I don't know much about Malaysia. You might google 'malaysia super corridor' and come up with a list of tech companies that have invested in Malaysia. You could also ask your questions at

http://www.alloexpat.com/malaysia_expat_forum/

which seems to be inhabited by a number of expats in KL and the region.