Singapore Expats Forum

'Only Singaporean/PR need to apply'

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

Liberto

'Only Singaporean/PR need to apply' - How about age factor ?

Postby Liberto » Sat, 24 Sep 2005 5:50 am

Hi all, Would age be a major consideration/setback for one looking a job in Spore? I am a Business Mgr in the banking industry and aged 40. The job I am looking does not necessary have to be in the banking line. I am basically a sales/business development person and am able to communicate in major languages and dialects used in Spore. Looking to relocate and be in sunny Spore. Which is better, writing direct to banks/companies or through recruitment agencies? Any recommendation or feedback would be much appreciated. Cheers.

JayV

Postby JayV » Sat, 24 Sep 2005 11:48 pm

It certainly helps when you are PR when looking for a job. Just like anywhere else in the world. It definitely gives you more opportunities when you know a local language. Just like anywhere else in the world. Age discrimination...should I say again, just like..

Liberto

Only Singaporean/PR need to apply - LPR = PR ???

Postby Liberto » Sun, 25 Sep 2005 4:50 am

Hi, Will having LPR in hand be treated similarly to having PR from the pointview of recruiters??? Reason being the companies doing the recruitment will not hv to bother about this issue. Appreciate feedbacks from experts and recruiters. Thanks

askmeagain

Postby askmeagain » Wed, 05 Oct 2005 3:59 pm

Yah, I think most racist country in the world. Please see my other post, My Experience while looking for a job in Singapore.

GordonGekko
Regular
Regular

Advice?

Postby GordonGekko » Thu, 06 Oct 2005 5:30 pm

Hi notamused,

I have seen the same problem. I find it most problematic that employers are looking for PR only, but in order of getting an EP (the gateway to a PR), you need to have a job. :(

I have had plans to go there to find a job on my own, but then I read about all the trouble people have run into, and it's hard not get discouraged. Any good advice? :cry:
You do what you are.

riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

Postby riversandlakes » Fri, 07 Oct 2005 2:01 am

I applied anyway, for quite a few times, and I got here.

Just keep trying. I'm not sure why the clause is put there in the first place?
Goatboy will always cherish his former goatgirl.
But the world is full of fluffier ones.

TCCP

'Only Singaporean/PR need to apply'

Postby TCCP » Fri, 07 Oct 2005 10:04 pm

Notamused,

Email me your resume and let me know where you wanted to be. See if I can be of help.
Hi, I'm Theresa. We assist in searching a nice home for you; looking alternative jobs according to your data and IT projects for your organisation; support parenting and good health issues faced.

GordonGekko
Regular
Regular

Postby GordonGekko » Sat, 08 Oct 2005 3:17 am

TCCP,

Could I please send you my CV too, given that I'm in the same situation as notamused? I would sure appreciate any help. :)
You do what you are.

nini_jen

Postby nini_jen » Wed, 12 Oct 2005 3:19 pm

TCCP,

Could I please send you my CV too, given that I'm in the same situation as notamused? I would sure appreciate any help

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Thu, 13 Oct 2005 8:42 pm

nini_jen wrote:TCCP,

Could I please send you my CV too, given that I'm in the same situation as notamused? I would sure appreciate any help

Too lazy to write your own rquest? Sure gives you a leg up on the 'effort' front . . . NOT!

Yah, I think most racist country in the world. Please see my other post, My Experience while looking for a job in Singapore.

My goodness, askmeagain, what a bunch of sour grapes you lug around and an almighty chip you have on your shoulder. Ever thought you didn' get a job simply because you are unqualified for what you are searching.

Oh, sorry. It's so easy to play the race card and blame others for one'sown shortcomings.

'nuff said Image

citizen deek

Postby citizen deek » Sun, 16 Oct 2005 2:53 am

let's just hope that singapore stops short of implementing affirmative action and race quotas in the workplace.

look how AA screwed america up.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Tue, 18 Oct 2005 8:35 am

One of the rare time I agree with you, Citizen. It's just incredible the gaul some people have in expecting to get a job simply because not getting it would be racism. The big "L" to them.

'nuff said Image

pramacha

Postby pramacha » Sun, 23 Oct 2005 6:18 pm

As a native English speaker you can get a teaching related job and from experience I think they would rather hire a foreigner than a local in private schools.

Good luck

green_field

Re: 'Only Singaporean/PR need to apply'

Postby green_field » Thu, 10 Nov 2005 5:33 pm

notamused wrote:How can one get a job if the advertisements would only look for Singaporean/PR only? Singapore claims to have the least restrictive immigration rulings and yet it is not as transparent as the other countries with points system. I do want to work in Spore and is just getting nowhere. Any angels out there to help ?? Others care to share their experiences in their job search???

If i'm not wrong, it's only job agents who explicitly post ads with the note "Only Singaporean/PR should apply". Normally, the companies who use agents to get personnel are not big too. So just ignore them :)

It's very funny about job agents here. I've got some calls from them, but only after we settled the time and venue for the interview, then they called back to check if i'm Singaporean or PR :lol: . And you know what, since my PR is still being processed, they told me that they have no choice but "count me down".

Well, this discrimination does not always bring all good to Singapore either, when Singapore is really in need of high quality labour. For foreigners, it's difficult to get PR, but for foreign students who Singapore government sometimes have to use tricks to bring us here to study at public uni with the obvious aim that we would stay here and contribute to Singapore after graduation, it's a loss for them actually.

Some of my friends cannot get a job yet. Most of us have to spend 5, 6 months to get 1. And you know what, it's not only when u apply for job that u face the discrimination. My master friend with 3, 4 years of MNC experience from a third world country is being paid more or less the same as a pass degree holder Singaporean. Another friend of mine just quit her job, since she said she can't stand the thought of being made used when she has a good honour degree from NUS, and she proved to be fast, and able to work efficiently; but she was paid less than those Singaporean poly graduate. Then this becomes the matter of one's pride.

20% of uni graduate here are foreign students, so i guess the 5, 6 months in average of being unemployed would affect the country's economy in one way or another. We are willing to work, we are willing to pay back for what Singapore has given to us, but , again, it is the PR requirement from the job ad causing the problem for us. We are obviously competent to local. But just the PR/Singaporean thing.

When we come here, we have to face discrimation because of our race, or nationality. Being in a foreign country is not that easy. Even a part time job that only need to be physically fit also require Singaporean/PR. Now, when it comes to the matter of getting a job, Singapore are freaking us out because of this so called PR discrimination, how would we feel easy so we could consider Singapore as a home?

Most of us have a loan of around 30k-40k and a bond to work in Singapore for 3 years. If Singapore government don't give us a fair chance to complete this, some ppl simply just can't wait and be patient. They just try to break the bond by not trying to get any job in 1 year, or even worst that they would run away. Who would be benefit from this?

brifusg
Regular
Regular

Re: 'Only Singaporean/PR need to apply'

Postby brifusg » Thu, 30 Mar 2006 9:01 pm

green_field wrote:
If i'm not wrong, it's only job agents who explicitly post ads with the note "Only Singaporean/PR should apply". Normally, the companies who use agents to get personnel are not big too. So just ignore them :)

You're wrong. A lot of MNC hire via job agents or headhunters.

green_field wrote:When we come here, we have to face discrimation because of our race, or nationality. Being in a foreign country is not that easy. Even a part time job that only need to be physically fit also require Singaporean/PR. Now, when it comes to the matter of getting a job, Singapore are freaking us out because of this so called PR discrimination, how would we feel easy so we could consider Singapore as a home?

Can you speak Mandarin? If so no worries. Ppl here prefer having Mandarin leh.

Most of us have a loan of around 30k-40k and a bond to work in Singapore for 3 years. If Singapore government don't give us a fair chance to complete this, some ppl simply just can't wait and be patient. They just try to break the bond by not trying to get any job in 1 year, or even worst that they would run away. Who would be benefit from this?

Well, NUS benefits from this in anyway. Why? You may have loan with banks but NUS/NTU. You may take tuition grant from MOE but NUS/NTU. Hence, the objectives of NUS/NTU is to attract more and more students to come in. They don't care much (in fact they cannot do much I'd say) if you can ge t a job or you can pay bank the loan.