Singapore Expats

What's Singapore coming to?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Shadou

What's Singapore coming to?

Post by Shadou » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 11:25 pm

Was leaving work around 6pm this evening when I walked past the park adjacent to Orchard MRT and discovered a huge crowd with tons of police. Found out from the growing crowd that a cleaner found a chopped up woman stuffed in a bad in the park. That was when I saw the body covered in a white sheet. I wonder what Singapore is coming to nowadays? Crimes are getting worse and the people are getting bolder. Just a few years ago, this was practically unheard of here. And just to think that a body was found in such a prime location makes you wonder. How sad if you ask me.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Post by dot dot dot » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 11:49 pm

Sept 9, 2005
Body parts found near MRT station, reservoir park

THE dismembered body parts of a woman were found in two places on Friday. A torso was found in the MacRitchie Reservoir Park hours after the head and limbs were found stuffed into a bag dumped near the Orchard MRT station.

GRISLY FIND: Workers move dismembered body parts of a woman found stuffed into a bag and dumped near the Orchard MRT station. -- FRANCIS ONG

Police said an off-duty cleaner made the first grisly find at 1.45pm in the heart of Singapore's shopping belt - a head and limbs in a blue-and-white sports bag, with the parts divided into three separate red bags within.

The head, with long hair, was in one bag; the legs and feet in another and the arms and hands in the third bag.

Police cordoned off the area, which was near a flower bed along the perimeter of the park just next to the Orchard MRT station. Crowds of onlookers gathered at the scene.

At 6.10pm, information came in that a torso had been found by a jogger at the reservoir park. It was stuffed into a blue trolley bag.

It is understood that the dead woman, a young Asian, was only slightly decomposed, indicating that she was killed not more than two days ago.

Friday's events recalled the Kallang River body parts murder - when the dismembered body parts of Chinese national Liu Hong Mei, 22, was found along the river bank on June 16.

The young factory worker's upper and lower torso were found not long after. Her head and calves were found in bags in the Tuas incinerator plant the next day.

The dead Chinese national's alleged killer is her supervisor Leong Siew Chor, 50, who is now awaiting trial for murder.

Eric

queenie-me
Reporter
Reporter

Re: What's Singapore coming to?

Post by queenie-me » Sat, 10 Sep 2005 12:02 am

Shadou wrote:Was leaving work around 6pm this evening when I walked past the park adjacent to Orchard MRT and discovered a huge crowd with tons of police. Found out from the growing crowd that a cleaner found a chopped up woman stuffed in a bad in the park. That was when I saw the body covered in a white sheet. I wonder what Singapore is coming to nowadays? Crimes are getting worse and the people are getting bolder. Just a few years ago, this was practically unheard of here. And just to think that a body was found in such a prime location makes you wonder. How sad if you ask me.
No worries, the police will do their job and the killer will not live at all in the world. HE/SHE or THEY do not deserve to live anyways.

riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

Post by riversandlakes » Sat, 10 Sep 2005 1:48 am

Gruesome.
May the dead rest in peace, and the guilty be brought to justice!

Someone is always watching over us...
Goatboy will always cherish his former goatgirl.
But the world is full of fluffier ones.

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Post by banana » Sat, 10 Sep 2005 12:46 pm

In a pressure cooker like Singapore, people are bound to lose their heads.
some signatures are more equal than others

beenhere10years
Chatter
Chatter

Post by beenhere10years » Sat, 10 Sep 2005 12:49 pm

banana wrote:In a pressure cooker like Singapore, people are bound to lose their heads.
It's times like this I find you less appealing...
When you go in for a job interview, I think a good thing to ask is if they ever press charges.

-- jack handy

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Post by banana » Sat, 10 Sep 2005 1:00 pm

Are you sure you didn't mean a-peeling?

beenhere10years
Chatter
Chatter

Post by beenhere10years » Sat, 10 Sep 2005 1:02 pm

Yes, but thought it would be obvious enough. Honestly banana, a big eye roll comin' your way...

:roll:
When you go in for a job interview, I think a good thing to ask is if they ever press charges.

-- jack handy

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Post by banana » Sat, 10 Sep 2005 1:09 pm

Mmmm...eye rolls...gotta love em, Ham n Cheese ones are getting so stale.

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Bubbles » Sat, 10 Sep 2005 5:28 pm

You should try living in the UK for a bit, murders, rapes, muggings....you name it, we've got it.

Not everyday of course, but it's true, when there's a large population, it stands to mathmatical reason these things will happen now and again, dreadful though it is.

Right in the middle of town too.....can you believe it? I wonder if they did it there, or just dumped it? Very dangerous both ways....I have visions of the parts being brought by MRT, or taxi....urrrgh.

Aren't there any video cameras above the roads in that area? I mean CCTV?
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Sun, 11 Sep 2005 11:01 pm

i don't want to get flamed for being racist or nationalistic or anything like that. but i can't help noticing that a lot of recent murders have been among expat / foreign communities here. the orchard road murder victim was a filipino maid and the suspect another filipino maid. another recent one was an indian man killed by his flatmate. and the well-publicised huang na case was of a chinese national killed by another chinese.

begs the question of whether being far from home without family or social networks to fall back on contributes to people losing their minds and carrying out drastic actions?

consider

Post by consider » Sun, 11 Sep 2005 11:04 pm

not enough capital

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 11 Sep 2005 11:40 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:begs the question of whether being far from home without family or social networks to fall back on contributes to people losing their minds and carrying out drastic actions?
WIMH,

You have no idea just how close to the truth you have come. I, recently went through a bad patch and for a while, albeit a very short while, I contemplated drastic measures. The whys, wherefores don't matter now, but that was my response to my family.

While I have my wife and two kids here, my wife has her entire familty here for moral support if nothing else. I, for 23 yearsl, have only had me when the difficulties are within the family. The importance of having a social network to fall back on is paramount to keeping ones sanity some time.

If you think of foreigners here on WP's, most have large families far, far away and they don't make enough money to go back on home leave as and when the like. Neither can they bring their families with them. This has got to cause undue hardship on them. Add to that the demanding local population and slave wages and slave mentality with which they are treated and I'd say Singapore is lucky the murder rate isn't even higher than it is becoming recently. :cry:

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Mon, 12 Sep 2005 7:48 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:WIMH,

You have no idea just how close to the truth you have come. I, recently went through a bad patch and for a while, albeit a very short while, I contemplated drastic measures. The whys, wherefores don't matter now, but that was my response to my family.

While I have my wife and two kids here, my wife has her entire familty here for moral support if nothing else. I, for 23 yearsl, have only had me when the difficulties are within the family. The importance of having a social network to fall back on is paramount to keeping ones sanity some time.
hey sms, i know you're a private person and wouldn't consider this forum a social network to fall back on. but for what it's worth, anytime you need someone outside the family to talk to and don't mind relative strangers albeit good-hearted and genuine people, well... you know how to get in touch. hope the bad patch has passed and you take care ya?

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Post by sapphire » Mon, 12 Sep 2005 8:08 am

Hmm...tough times require tough measures, but murder hasn't ever crossed my mind. Yikes! Patience and understanding the realities of the situation works better for me, but only when the going gets tough. Otherwise I'm my usual idiotic self. :P
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.