Singapore Expats

Migrants to reverse Aussie Brain drain

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.

Migrants to reverse Aussie Brain drain

Post by Guest » Thu, 08 Sep 2005 10:23 pm

In the strait time 25 Aug, the number of people emigrating from Australia has been steadily increasing, 50,000 in 2002/03.

Question, if Australia is within 5 countries for work, why is there a large proportion of professional leaving?

Any Aussies, Singy or Msian that left Oz, care to educate the ignorant group of people rushing there ?

Post by Guest » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 1:48 pm

Please don't denigrate people who emigrate. I was professionally trained in Australia though I'm Singaporean and I see Australia as my home. I don't consider myself to be ignorant if I can manage to go back. Professionals are not leaving Australia. Where did you even get that information from?

SCA

Post by SCA » Sat, 10 Sep 2005 10:32 am

The Australian diaspora is becoming a big political and social issue in Australia..... Welcome to the world of "Gold Collar" workers!

http://finance.news.com.au/story/0,1016 ... 37,00.html

SCA

Married Expat

Re: Migrants to reverse Aussie Brain drain

Post by Married Expat » Sat, 10 Sep 2005 2:45 pm

Think it's a bit presumptious of you to call people wishing to emigrate to Australia ignorant. Particularly as you add very little knowledge yourself to the topic.

As one of those 50,000 Australians (I'm in Singapore), I can say that there are numerous reasons why people would move from their home country. Personally I've come to Singapore for a bit of personal growth, career opportunity and financial benefits, all mixed together. I'd say that the same could be said for numerous people who want to emigrate to Australia.
Anonymous wrote:In the strait time 25 Aug, the number of people emigrating from Australia has been steadily increasing, 50,000 in 2002/03.

Question, if Australia is within 5 countries for work, why is there a large proportion of professional leaving?

Any Aussies, Singy or Msian that left Oz, care to educate the ignorant group of people rushing there ?