Singapore Expats Forum

Got My Class 2 Today

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 12:12 pm

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:I think the authorities knew you would be on the roads soon and asked Honda to customize to your needs. :wink:

ps. Banana, great bike, that vacuum cleaner. know any dealers here in Singapore?

You can get the airbag with optional extras, Eric.

SwingMonkey

Re: You b**stard!!!!

Postby SwingMonkey » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 12:18 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:Would you fly in an airplane powered by a Harley motor?

God no, what, do i look that crazy? :D

Strong Eagle wrote:V-Rod is a very nice, very fast machine... much to recommend it. Valve adjustments require the engine to be pulled... a very expensive proposition.

Yeah, but given costs in Singapore, de nada compared to somewhere like the states :P

Strong Eagle wrote:I'm not much of a Harley fan... old technology and good marketing is what it is. You can run most Japanese bikes at least a 100,000 miles before engine work... with a Harley, you'll be lucky to get 35,000 before you need a top end job.

My favorite anti Harley site:

http://www.goingfaster.com/angst/

Great site, been there before :P Problem is, I won't leave potential for speed as *potential*... I'll use it... which means I'll blow my license and end up walking :P

Truth be told, Singapore not big enough for a harley really anyway, and I'l probably end up upgrading to larger Honda....

.. but still...

Even given the many failings of harley davidson... they do have *style* :P
Putting the 'fun' back in Dys-FUN-ctional :P

Strong Eagle

Re: You b**stard!!!!

Postby Strong Eagle » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 12:23 pm

SwingMonkey wrote:Even given the many failings of harley davidson... they do have *style* :P

I have to agree with you on that one. Very good fit and finish, comfortable seats. Honda could learn a few things about the details. A good friend of mine has a Harley... so it's all good natured ribbing.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 12:45 pm

SE,

you just blew my last hope of the American Dream... :(

Although I agree that safety and endurance is priority, for me a bike is all about emotion, the feeling that comes with it when riding it. The sound escaping from the exhaust, but also the sound of the engine itself, the gears when shifting, the smell of it. It has to be rough, rude and no mercy for others.

I would therefore never consider a Japanese warriorbike (although Kawasaki made rough 'n rude bikes in the late 1970's, with the Kawasaki z series).

Besides a Harley Roadster (nothing else please), there is only one for me: Triumph.

Ever since I saw Richard Gere in 'An officer & a gentleman', riding his Triumph Bonneville T140, this is it, the ultimate machine.

I am thinking of the roadster though...

or....

the triumph rocket III

Agree swingmonkey, decisions, decisions...

Eric

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 1:00 pm

I used to own a Triumph 650 Bonneville in the 70's. Wish I had never got rid of it.

Lots of the Japanese bikes have character... and a lot smoother ride, both engine and chassis wise.

I don't know what possessed Honda to put an airbag on a motorcycle. A front end impact is way down the list of things that cause injuries. Honda marketing must really have their heads in their anuses. This airbag qualifies as new and exciting, yet they have the same old dull line up of bikes while Yamaha, Suzuki, Triumph and others are being real creative. Pity.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 1:14 pm

I think Honda marketing is targeting the mid aged group who will base their decisions a lot on safety. Agree, does this add to safety so much? But then again, the fear factor makes people decide, it is an emotional reaction to the fear, so people will maybe believe it is a good thing to have the airbag.

And of course it will generate quite some PR as well.

you are right btw, you should never have sold away your Triumph... :(

Eric

SwingMonkey

Rocket III

Postby SwingMonkey » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 2:17 pm

Yuh, Rocket III is an absolute beast... is there a Triumph dealer in Singapore?

If I was still in Aussie and had the option of doing 800Km up to Perth fora weekend trip, it would be a no brainer... but... a 2.3Liter bike in Singapore? :P

When I'm brutally honest with myself, most of my riding around here is commuting <sigh>
Putting the 'fun' back in Dys-FUN-ctional :P

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 2:21 pm

yep, there is Triumph available here:

Cyclenet Pte. Ltd
1179 Serangoon Road
Singapore

Nice big shop with 3 storeys of dreambikes at Serangoon Road.

Eric

Strong Eagle

Re: Rocket III

Postby Strong Eagle » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 2:43 pm

SwingMonkey wrote:Yuh, Rocket III is an absolute beast... is there a Triumph dealer in Singapore?

If I was still in Aussie and had the option of doing 800Km up to Perth fora weekend trip, it would be a no brainer... but... a 2.3Liter bike in Singapore? :P

When I'm brutally honest with myself, most of my riding around here is commuting <sigh>

Unfortunately, the road tax on a 2.3 liter motorcycle is $1100. Ouch.

The formula is $320 + $0.60 * (Displacement - 1000) for large bikes 1000 cc's and larger.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 3:40 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:I used to own a Triumph 650 Bonneville in the 70's. Wish I had never got rid of it.

Lots of the Japanese bikes have character... and a lot smoother ride, both engine and chassis wise.

I don't know what possessed Honda to put an airbag on a motorcycle. A front end impact is way down the list of things that cause injuries. Honda marketing must really have their heads in their anuses. This airbag qualifies as new and exciting, yet they have the same old dull line up of bikes while Yamaha, Suzuki, Triumph and others are being real creative. Pity.

SE, Had a '74 Norton 850 Commando until I moved to Singapore in '82. (It was one of my restoration projects - but it only had 2600 miles on the engine!) Only had one bike here though....a '94 Honda Magna 750 v-twin - not so nice but when it's given to you by a returning expat it's pretty good. :) I found it too disconcerting to being used as a target and when trying to stay in my own lane having tailgaters 10 feet from by butt because cage drivers don't realize a bike can stop in half the distance at the same speed.

Back in the mid '60's had an old '52 KR frame 45 c.i. Harley flathead in OD green with side mounted stick shift on the tank. Also had the reverse gear as it was a $150 army surplus item set up for the sidecar (which I couldn't find). Never forgot laying it over in the yard and not being able to pick it back up without help!

When are you going to have a Rune shipped over here? :D

sms

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Postby banana » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 3:46 pm

Where's Mid-life Wally?
some signatures are more equal than others

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 5:50 pm

ok all this technical stuff is way over my head, but i've heard bmw bikes are good. they certainly look big and sound powerful!

also for a female, is a scooter safer than a bike? you know the kind which you ride with both legs in front instead of straddling, so you can even wear a skirt (not that i would... just wondering if everyone knows what a scooter is or if its just a local term.)

Wild Rover
Regular
Regular

Postby Wild Rover » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 8:03 pm

Well done on the licence conversion SE.

I am recently arrived from the UK and busy bike hunting. I want a good 'sports tourer' and so far Honda VFR 800 is top of the list. Apart from singaporebikes.com can anyone advise another good source of 2nd hand bikes or good reputable dealers? Otherwise will probably buy new.

Also I am assuming that having a UK bike licence (unrestricted) that I can ride anything here for 12 months before converting. Is that correct?
What's worse, ignorance or apathy? I don't know and I don't care

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 9:53 pm

Wild Rover wrote:Well done on the licence conversion SE.

I am recently arrived from the UK and busy bike hunting. I want a good 'sports tourer' and so far Honda VFR 800 is top of the list. Apart from singaporebikes.com can anyone advise another good source of 2nd hand bikes or good reputable dealers? Otherwise will probably buy new.

Also I am assuming that having a UK bike licence (unrestricted) that I can ride anything here for 12 months before converting. Is that correct?

Singapore Bikes is your best bet and they can fill you in on dealers as well. Two distinct classes of riders in the forums... those that ride smaller bikes and hope to eventually migrate to a car, and those that rider for fun.

Yes, you've got 12 months... just remember that it takes about 4 weeks to schedule your basic theory test which must be taken within 12 months. As to what you can ride, I doubt you'll be stopped at all. But, you cannot buy a bike or insurance for a bike without the corresponding license. So, unless you are renting, you will need your license to buy insurance and register it.

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 10:09 pm

How about one of these?