Singapore Expats

Got My Class 2 Today

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 10:25 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:ok all this technical stuff is way over my head, but i've heard bmw bikes are good. they certainly look big and sound powerful!

also for a female, is a scooter safer than a bike? you know the kind which you ride with both legs in front instead of straddling, so you can even wear a skirt (not that i would... just wondering if everyone knows what a scooter is or if its just a local term.)
BMW bike have good models and bad models. They have had several notable problems over the years from poorly designed fuel injection control modules to early failing rear ends in US $20,000 bikes. There are those that swear by them, I think they are overpriced and parts and maintenance are absolute highway robbery in Singapore.

A scooter is not safer than a bike. In fact with smaller wheels, a scooter is potentially less safe, both for road hazards and less gyroscopic effect. Big wheel bikes are a better ride. In the end, no bike is safe once you make contact, and all bikes are safe until you do. I think initially it would be easier to learn on a small bike, not a scooter.

And yes, most folks know "scooter". My favorite is to walk up to a guy standing next to his beloved Harley and say, "Nice scooter."

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Sat, 10 Sep 2005 12:04 am

Strong Eagle wrote:And yes, most folks know "scooter". My favorite is to walk up to a guy standing next to his beloved Harley and say, "Nice scooter."
oh wicked! you are so funny... :lol:

thanks for the advice. still have a mbike on my to do list someday...

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Post by dot dot dot » Thu, 15 Sep 2005 6:42 pm

Went down to the local Harley Davidson scooter dealer here today, felt like a boy in a toy shop :P

No Triumph for me, Eric is gonna ride a Harley. Am still not sure which one, either the XL 1200C sportster custom or the Dyna Super Glide.

Both nice scooters... :mrgreen:

So SE, what about yours, have you found one yet? And swingmonkey, did you make a choice?

Eric

Wild Rover
Regular
Regular

Post by Wild Rover » Thu, 15 Sep 2005 8:18 pm

It's a nice problem to have isn't it Eric, choosing a bike! It took me 6 weeks to decide the model, then another week to decide the colour! Finally decided on a blue Honda VFR 800 which I ordered on Tuesday and will collect on 25th. I'll certainly be up for any exploratory trips over the bridge and beyond sometime if anyone interested?
Attachments
VFR.JPG
(13.79 KiB) Downloaded 151 times
What's worse, ignorance or apathy? I don't know and I don't care

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Post by dot dot dot » Thu, 15 Sep 2005 10:13 pm

different kind of bike, but can imagine your choice here, heard some good comments about this Honda.

Mine will be in around the end of this year, so will only be able to take a ride along with you after that, but I am a patient guy... :wink:

Eric

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 15 Sep 2005 10:42 pm

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:So SE, what about yours, have you found one yet? And swingmonkey, did you make a choice?

Eric
I've found three Valkyries. One of them is going to be mine very soon.

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Bubbles » Thu, 15 Sep 2005 11:43 pm

Blinking heck, just posted a pic and now I'm rubbish at that too, sob, sob, lol.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 16 Sep 2005 12:27 am

Strong Eagle wrote:I've found three Valkyries. One of them is going to be mine very soon.
Is it going to be one of these?

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Scorpion
Editor
Editor

So Easy!!!

Post by Scorpion » Fri, 16 Sep 2005 2:28 am

Heard getting an driving lic in singapore is not so easzy..

Strong Eagle

Re: So Easy!!!

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 16 Sep 2005 7:21 am

Scorpion wrote:Heard getting an driving lic in singapore is not so easzy..
It depends. If you are converting a foreign drivers license and you do it within one year of arriving here, it is very easy. By law, you can only convert a motorcycle license to a class 2b, 200 cc and less. However, if you are older and have lots of experience, you can ask for and get a class 2, unlimited. I did, and I know two other people (also older) who did the same thing.

Otherwise, yes a hassle... see the chart.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 16 Sep 2005 7:26 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:I've found three Valkyries. One of them is going to be mine very soon.
Is it going to be one of these?
No, it's a pretty looking bike but not very comfortable to ride. Makes a great bar hopper though. I'm going for the Valk 1500.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 16 Sep 2005 7:32 am

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:different kind of bike, but can imagine your choice here, heard some good comments about this Honda.

Mine will be in around the end of this year, so will only be able to take a ride along with you after that, but I am a patient guy... :wink:

Eric
Eric,

You really should know the difference between a Honda and a Harley before you jump in. :D :D

http://www.herbhost.com/waves/son_valk_fr.ppt

(Power Point file)

Wild Rover
Regular
Regular

Re: So Easy!!!

Post by Wild Rover » Fri, 16 Sep 2005 9:16 am

Scorpion wrote:Heard getting an driving lic in singapore is not so easzy..

As mentioned before it really depends on the class of the foreign licence you currently have, your experience with larger bikes, and probably the particular official you ask on any one day. What is so amazing in such an otherwise controlled country is that there really seems no firm policy regarding licence conversion for foreigners.

As it turns out I rang the licencing division of the Traffic Police yesterday, conversation went like this:

"I have just moved to Singapore from the UK and I've had a UK licence for 6 years that allows me to ride any size of bike there, so does that mean I can ride any class of bike here also?"

"Is the licence in English?"

"Yes, it's a UK licence!" :???:

"Then it's ok. You can ride for up to 12 months but then have to convert."

"And when I convert, it will be to an unrestricted licence right, I will still be able to ride my 800 cc?"

"Yes".

So nothing provided in writing, but I am using that conversation plus the experience of others here to go ahead with reasonable level of confidence. I guess once you've been riding around on a big bike for a few months (and hopefully kept your nose clean!), then the Police would look pretty stupid downgrading you to a licence for 200 cc bike or whatever. Having said that it's also quite incredible asking someone to sit a Highway Code test after you've been riding/driving around for 12 months!!

Good luck with it anyway, let us know how you get on.
What's worse, ignorance or apathy? I don't know and I don't care

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Post by dot dot dot » Fri, 16 Sep 2005 9:22 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
Eric from the Netherlands wrote:different kind of bike, but can imagine your choice here, heard some good comments about this Honda.

Eric
Eric,

You really should know the difference between a Honda and a Harley before you jump in. :D :D

http://www.herbhost.com/waves/son_valk_fr.ppt

(Power Point file)
Where did you get the impression I was confused SE? :?

Wild rover gets himself a Honda, me will be taking a totally different Harley. I am probably still a bit sleepy, but I don't get it?

Eric

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 16 Sep 2005 9:36 am

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:I am probably still a bit sleepy, but I don't get it?

Eric
You DID click on the black sound buttons, no??? :o :o