Singapore Expats Forum

Got My Class 2 Today

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Strong Eagle

Got My Class 2 Today

Postby Strong Eagle » Thu, 08 Sep 2005 7:20 pm

Converted my foreign drivers license today. The basic theory test was easy, scoring immediate. Walked over to the traffic police window, asked for class 3 and unlimited class 2. Showed them a pic of my big motorcycle and presto, I can ride anything now.
Last edited by Strong Eagle on Thu, 08 Sep 2005 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Re: Got My Class 2 Today

Postby Vaucluse » Thu, 08 Sep 2005 7:21 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:Converted my foreign drivers license today. The basic theory test was easy, scoring immediate. Walked over to the traffic police window, asked for class 2 and unlimited class 2. Showed them a pic of my big motorcycle and presto, I can ride anything now.

Anything? :lol:

'nuff said Image

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Thu, 08 Sep 2005 7:23 pm

Vaucluse wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:Converted my foreign drivers license today. The basic theory test was easy, scoring immediate. Walked over to the traffic police window, asked for class 2 and unlimited class 2. Showed them a pic of my big motorcycle and presto, I can ride anything now.

Well... some of the women don't seem to think my license is unlimited... other than that.... 8)

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Thu, 08 Sep 2005 7:28 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
Vaucluse wrote:

Well... some of the women don't seem to think my license is unlimited... other than that.... 8)

Bingo! :wink: be careful out there, a la Hill Street Blues - lots of quite sad driving on the streets.

'nuff said Image

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Thu, 08 Sep 2005 7:52 pm

Vaucluse wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:
Vaucluse wrote:

Bingo! :wink: be careful out there, a la Hill Street Blues - lots of quite sad driving on the streets.

This place is a dream world compared to Houston, Texas. You've got your typical soccer Mom, yakking on her mobile while driving a giant Suburban and simultaneously trying to bitch slap her 2.37 kids in the back seat.

80 mph (130 kph) is a pretty typical freeway speed. Stuff happens fast at the rate. You've got your yahoos in 4 wheel drive pickup trucks that speed, weave, tailgate... macho men all.

Then we've got our 500,000 illegal aliens, none of whom have drivers license or insurance since they are illegal. Favorite pastime: Getting tanked on Saturday night and weaving all over the place.

If you tried to lane split in Houston like they do here, some jerk would open his door in front of you, just because it would p*ss him off that you are getting in front of him.

Yah... there are some unconscious people on Sing roads, and the taxi drivers can be a real menace but the slower speeds really make it easier to ride this place.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Thu, 08 Sep 2005 8:05 pm

congratulations SE!

and omigosh one more crazy hairy big-machine wielding texan cowboy to look out for when i'm on the roads! 8-[ :lol:

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Thu, 08 Sep 2005 9:39 pm

congrats SE,

I hope you will enjoy your driving on the Singapore roads, but please: no hogging, after overtaking return to the left, no driving at the speed of snails, signal if changing directions, put on the lights when dusk is coming, give way to others when they have the right of way, don't pass the red lights at traffic lights, be a gentleman on the roads.

In other words, do not localise to the Singaporean way of driving. :mrgreen:

Eric

Blaze

Postby Blaze » Thu, 08 Sep 2005 11:12 pm

Congratulations SE.

Does the US (or any other) license have to show the dual endorsement (Car & Bike) ?

Sounds like you got your bike. What did you get ? Post a pic ?

Blaze

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Postby banana » Thu, 08 Sep 2005 11:42 pm

Congrats, pls choose a bike.
some signatures are more equal than others

Postby Guest » Thu, 08 Sep 2005 11:46 pm

You can take anything for a ride? Not me :D

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 12:10 am

Blaze wrote:Congratulations SE.

Does the US (or any other) license have to show the dual endorsement (Car & Bike) ?

Blaze

Just check out his website for the big 'Valk"

SE, Congrats.

sms

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 8:08 am

Blaze wrote:Congratulations SE.

Blaze

Yes, your license must show dual endorsement to get a dual endorsement here. If your home country has various classes of motorcycle license, then you must have an unlimited to get an unlimited here.

Haven't got a bike yet, but this is what I am looking for (like what I had in the US).

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 9:39 am

I think the authorities knew you would be on the roads soon and asked Honda to customize to your needs. :wink:

Eric

ps. Banana, great bike, that vacuum cleaner. know any dealers here in Singapore?
Last edited by dot dot dot on Fri, 09 Sep 2005 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SwingMonkey

You b**stard!!!!

Postby SwingMonkey » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 11:47 am

Meant in the nicest possible way of course :P

Reason being that due to an unfortunate comedy of errors I could only get my license (well, it *was* a burmese license :S) converted to a 2A and I've had to piss around ever since on a 400cc bike until Tuesday past when i got around to passing the traffic cop practical for my open '2'...

The BIG decision now is..... Heritage Soft Tail or V-Rod? <sigh> decisions decisions....
Putting the 'fun' back in Dys-FUN-ctional :P

Strong Eagle

Re: You b**stard!!!!

Postby Strong Eagle » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 12:08 pm

SwingMonkey wrote:Meant in the nicest possible way of course :P

Reason being that due to an unfortunate comedy of errors I could only get my license (well, it *was* a burmese license :S) converted to a 2A and I've had to piss around ever since on a 400cc bike until Tuesday past when i got around to passing the traffic cop practical for my open '2'...

The BIG decision now is..... Heritage Soft Tail or V-Rod? <sigh> decisions decisions....

Would you fly in an airplane powered by a Harley motor?

V-Rod is a very nice, very fast machine... much to recommend it. Valve adjustments require the engine to be pulled... a very expensive proposition.

I'm not much of a Harley fan... old technology and good marketing is what it is. You can run most Japanese bikes at least a 100,000 miles before engine work... with a Harley, you'll be lucky to get 35,000 before you need a top end job.

My favorite anti Harley site:

http://www.goingfaster.com/angst/