Singapore Expats Forum

Is your personality different online and offline?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Is your personality different online and offline?

Yes
20%
No
80%

Total votes: 25

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 11:00 am

Banana, gossiping about yourself? That might be considered insanity...
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Postby banana » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 11:04 am

what you still don't hear it?
some signatures are more equal than others

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 11:07 am

Were you saying something? I believe this forum isn't equipped with VOIP. :P
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Postby banana » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 11:10 am

Can't believe they left you out. Did you misbehave again?
some signatures are more equal than others

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 11:13 am

I knew it! Bigots strike again! I'm going to my corner and sulk, ta ta.

myworld21

Re: Is your personality different online and offline?

Postby myworld21 » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 3:13 pm

Kimi wrote:It's funny how I at least met one of the members here who is not particularly fancied by other active members here but the thing is the other forum members who don't respect his posts are the ones whose posts I would seek to read, yet I found this member who is considered to be a trouble-maker to be a nice person after all.
Do you reckon you have a different personality online and offline?

hey, are you talking about me?
if it is, why did you say, i am sorry when we first met? Actually, 2nd meet, you only didn't know me, but i knew who you were.

http://www.singaporeexpats.com/forum/ftopic26444.html

myworld21 wrote:
banana wrote:

Never argue with a woman wielding a pair of scissors.

banana, when you guys are talking about a 'size'or any trace about "it", becomes very sensitive, huh?

Oi, enuff of the threadjacking will ya?!
Just get a room you two and get it over with Actually I meant get your own thread!
まったく...

if any of the people knows japanese, he/she surely can catch the carelessness of you. your last japanese words is very Blunt! even, i didn't make anything wrong about you(i guess you thought i didn't know the meaning because i didn't write any japanese until then). i only made a joke from banana's post. does it that much wrong? or, i think, you are very serious personality.

And one question, if someone has different view from you, does it mean, he/she is a trouble-maker? why is the title "disccussion?" or, could you guys(kimi & another) point it out which sentence of mine was that?

and why are you quating my sentence, that when we met the night, i've told you, i think people are different when she/he is online and offline.
i wonder, why the nite you said, 'i am sorry'. that means?

kimi, i don't want to hurt you here, if i did, sorry..
but i've got hurt already twice.
Last edited by myworld21 on Fri, 09 Sep 2005 3:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Alfalfa
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Alfalfa » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 3:38 pm

WO! This thread is getting a wee bit personal I think .. so better stay out..

BTW getting back to the real question... I think I am the same online and offline. A wee bit shy i think...and always so quiet. :)
We'll get along fine as soon as you realize I'm Good.

seraphim
Reporter
Reporter

Postby seraphim » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 3:41 pm

I think I'm different offline.

Out here I post once in a while, when the mood strikes.....offline - heheh. I chat up a storm and half of you swear I should be in PR! :P
And the sultans - yeah the sultans
they play creole...Creole, baby

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 6:36 pm

strange question. there are so many facets to personality and i tend to mirror those i'm with. eg with a shy soft-spoken person i tend to speak more softly, with a gregarious bunch i'm loud and outspoken, with a romantic crowd i get all mushy and sentimental... but i'm the same person.

so yes online and offline would be different i guess. just as with one person and with another it would be different. but same person, same values, same outlook on life, same beliefs... just different ways of expressing them.

Kimi
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Is your personality different online and offline?

Postby Kimi » Sat, 10 Sep 2005 4:08 am

myworld21 wrote:
Kimi wrote:It's funny how I at least met one of the members here who is not particularly fancied by other active members here but the thing is the other forum members who don't respect his posts are the ones whose posts I would seek to read, yet I found this member who is considered to be a trouble-maker to be a nice person after all.
Do you reckon you have a different personality online and offline?

hey, are you talking about me?
if it is, why did you say, i am sorry when we first met? Actually, 2nd meet, you only didn't know me, but i knew who you were.

I am being very honest, to say that I didn't mean you. Please read it more carefully that I referred to the person in my first post a "he" and not a she...
I might be under the wrong impression actually since it was only a few words when I talked with him and there is still a possibility he is not nice after all!

http://www.singaporeexpats.com/forum/ftopic26444.html

myworld21 wrote:
banana wrote:

Never argue with a woman wielding a pair of scissors.

banana, when you guys are talking about a 'size'or any trace about "it", becomes very sensitive, huh?

Oi, enuff of the threadjacking will ya?!
Just get a room you two and get it over with Actually I meant get your own thread!
まったく...

if any of the people knows japanese, he/she surely can catch the carelessness of you. your last japanese words is very Blunt! even, i didn't make anything wrong about you(i guess you thought i didn't know the meaning because i didn't write any japanese until then). i only made a joke from banana's post. does it that much wrong? or, i think, you are very serious personality.

I can be serious I suppose. Well the comedian role here in the forum is already taken anyway...:P
On a serious note...
I must say, I did not create the Japanese forum to talk about anything unrelated to Japan nor Japanese, the language, and it is even meant to be written in Japanese by those who can, and certainly not with the intention to have two disagreeing people to use the thread I created to settle their case...
So basically I was protesting more on the threadjacking. Nothing more and nothing less.
I hope you and everybody else respect that and if you would like to settle whatever it is the disagreement you have with banana etc. well, either confront them on PM or create your own thread or confront them on the thread(s) of the topic(s) you were disagreeing with that member.

As about using Japanese, I didn't use it on purpose for you not to be able to read it. As the thread was meant to be written in Japanese anyway from the beginning, that was why I inserted the word. Simple.
Nowadays, there are so many online dictionaries out there so even for people who can't understand Japanese can just search the meaning and to be honest I don't really care if it is a problem since it is meant for people who would like to talk in Japanese, just like other threads out there that were written in French, German etc.
In addition, in using the Japanese word, mattaku, I guess I was being blunt and I intended it to be anyway...
I'm not Japanese and I am not expected to behave like one even by the Japanese people as long as I still use common courtesy and so why can't I be blunt when I did want to get the message across? Such a futile effort to have a workaround anyway...

And one question, if someone has different view from you, does it mean, he/she is a trouble-maker? why is the title "disccussion?" or, could you guys(kimi & another) point it out which sentence of mine was that?

Errr, now you confused me...
I have no idea what you're talking about there except probably what Vaucluse said which then I replied just as a joke whether he were the trouble-maker.
And since he is not whom I meant and neither do you, I guess you misunderstood...
Let's just leave at that as I actually think I'm now writing more than I should in this wee hour even just to explain myself, even though I don't really have to actually...

and why are you quating my sentence, that when we met the night, i've told you, i think people are different when she/he is online and offline.
i wonder, why the nite you said, 'i am sorry'. that means?

To be honest, again I don't think we even talked except just introducing ourselves and that before I left you were telling me your handle.
After that I was apologising more on if I sounded harsh but to be honest I am not feeling sorry about telling you off when you threadjacked the thread I created. I would do the same thing to anybody and I think I did that to banana too when I told you two to get a room as it was meant for both of you and not only you.
And after that, as you were saying you were upset about being told off, later I explained that I created the thread to talk about things related to Japan and Japanese in Japanese and that was the reason why for me to tell you to stop talking about things that are not related to the topic or as what was explained on the earlier posts by the OP, in which this case was me.
So if you're wondering about the same thing, that's great, but please don't acuse others to sort of "steal" your idea just because they might think alike or think about the same thing...
In general I would reckon you're taking this thing, the forum I suppose too seriously or too personal...

kimi, i don't want to hurt you here, if i did, sorry..
but i've got hurt already twice.
[/quote]

I apologise as well if I sounded harsh here on this post or on my earlier one(s) but to be honest, I was just being honest especially when I said about you might take things here too personally.
I can actually understand that because I used to be like that but after being in forums for some time when I was in Japan, I learnt that for some people, probably not really on having a different personality but just showing more of a different aspect of their personality, and probably with less care as well when interacting with other members in the forum, one shouldn't take things too seriously nor too personally or should just take it with a grain of salt sort-of-speak.
Even in real life you would have other people saying things that might offend you or hurtful whether they meant it or not and if I could hold everybody who did that accountable, well I'll be a millionaire by now :P
I hope you take that as a word of advice, as it was meant to be that, nothing more and nothing less...

Edwin

Postby Edwin » Sat, 10 Sep 2005 5:38 am

I find that different environments, whether online or offline, do tend to bring out different aspects of my character. I guess to some extent I do behave slightly differently, most obviously in the way I communicate (for a start I swear a hell of a lot more offline :P ).

It's a funny thing though. I used to run an online community forum and eventually got to meet a few of the more active posters. One of them in particular was as quiet as anything in person, but once he was sat in front of his monitor liked nothing better than to flex his muscles and indulge in frenzied willy waving.

Not literally, of course. :o :)

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Sat, 10 Sep 2005 7:08 am

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Sorry Eric.

Little bit of Asian for you. Ask you wife. I believe all of us have at least two distinct personalities. (again, like you, not counting schizo's).

That's why they call it Yin & Yang. Black & White, Pro & Con. Angel & Devil.

I think we all manifest both personalities at one time or another but rarely at the same time. I think everybody here has made comments about registered posters logging out to post anon as well. Why is that? Their other personality that they don't want to be know for in all probability.

sms

I still hope these 2 are part of the same personality, but be regarded as different sides of 1 personality. But having said that, I feel we agree, but explain it differently.

Eric
Well Eric I will agree with you on this one, there is only one personality! Otherwise we would have multi-personalities right.

The interesting theory is, I've been told by a friend shrink, that all humans suffer from multi-personalities and that it is actually to what degree one is suffering, that dictates the classification of schizophrania.

For example a person suffering from a swining personality, the yin and the yang, can be considered normal, measured in terms of what is acceptable in society, those that need anger management for example are classified as borderline schizophrania. becuase they are slighty out of the norm of reasonable behaviour.

The term borderline is used becuase all humans suffer at one time or another from the overload of environmental stress factors, it is a fact of life that we are all potential schizophrenic time bombs, and that the environmental changes and toxins effect the neuron patterns and chemical changes in the brain. Deep isn't it?

But quite correct to say, we had, at one time in our lives one personality, what a boring thought, lets take the high powered salesmen, the closer! Quite a special type of personality!

Can you imagine that the normal person doesn't wish to continue the sale, but the closer is there to help change your mind, it's not uncommon for the closer to start getting pissed off, and ends up twisting your arm, to close the deal, a last resort would be for him, to shove a pen in your hand, confuse you and get your signature, on the paper at all costs.

Why becuase he wants his $$$ at all costs , generalisation that some salesmen have the personality to be over the borderline, with no compassion for what they are doing to their victims, becuase its results that matter, and how you get them, well let the courts deal, with the problem!!!

I have actually seen these type of psycho salemen in UK selling double glazing at extortionate prices. Food for thought I guess.

YF
Regular
Regular

Postby YF » Sat, 10 Sep 2005 11:57 am

My experience is that a lot people reveal their Napoleon complex when they get on the internet. I guess it beats going in one day and shooting up your office!

As for me -- i'm much more silly in person, but since jokes can get misconstrued and misinterpreted in writing so I usually stick to more serious stuff here...get me on MSN though and there are no holds bared :)

-Rob

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Sat, 10 Sep 2005 12:44 pm

So YF, you're not just different on and offline, but also different from one online format to the other?? I'm glad that you aren't always as intense as your posts here! Were beginning to worry me. :P

briceloh
Reporter
Reporter

Postby briceloh » Sat, 10 Sep 2005 1:02 pm

i aren't different. but somehow sometimes, ppl perceives me to be what they think of, from the things that i post.
IBMing