Singapore Expats Forum

Shhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
hibri2
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Wondering.......

Postby hibri2 » Thu, 22 Sep 2005 3:37 pm

Shazers wrote: found it funny that Olga did not have any special powers considering that she was an owl!!

some background about Olga:

Olga (Grand Light Sorceress)- an old friend and an occasional lover of Geser who was turned into an owl for breaking obligations she had to the light side. She was allowed to change back to her human form during wartime, for half an hour every day. Thanks to Geser's manipulations, she was restored to her human form and regained her powers by the end of Night Watch.
"Do not pray in my school, and I will not think in your church." - Unknown.

madwolfie
Manager
Manager

Postby madwolfie » Thu, 22 Sep 2005 5:10 pm

:o Oh my goodness!!!! I MUST look out for the books now. Do keep posting on track of the books...

This movie was released in 2004, ain't it great?!?! Its amazing!!!

People should be more adventurous and stop looking to reviews to catch a movie. I had friends telling me that this movie is no good... tsk tsk tsk

hibri2
Chatter
Chatter

Postby hibri2 » Thu, 22 Sep 2005 6:22 pm

madwolfie wrote::o Oh my goodness!!!! I MUST look out for the books now. Do keep posting on track of the books...

This movie was released in 2004, ain't it great?!?! Its amazing!!!

People should be more adventurous and stop looking to reviews to catch a movie. I had friends telling me that this movie is no good... tsk tsk tsk

you have a very good point about not following the reviews, but sometimes what other people say is a good matrix to know if i will like a movie or not, if a particular kind of people say "that movie sucks" i know i will like it :D ;by the way the trailer for DayWatch is already online.

the books are from 1998 the author (Sergey Lukyanenko) is quite a young fella that has Robert Heinlein (starship troopers and Stranger in a Strange Land) as one of his main influences.

people call the trilogy sci-fi books, but i can't fail to notice some Clive Barker's Cabal (movie - nightbreed) similarities, and the atmosphere is dark, so for me are Horror books.

i will do a scout mission to look for the books availability and post here where you could get them.

in a total unrelated issue, i like that the title of this thread is "Shhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!" and we are talking about all this nightwatch / others thing, it fits the theme quite well, don't you think? :D

Vodkashot

Re: i c

Postby Vodkashot » Fri, 23 Sep 2005 11:47 am

Shazers wrote:whoa,

Did you say you are going to watch Daywatch? Who is starring in this movie? What is it about? Have never heard about this one yet!

Shazers
Curious
P.S. Also, what brought you to Singapore?! :lol:

So far no Daywatch movie:)
The movie is based on Sergey Lukianenko books.
I have no idea where you can get them in English. I would say books are better.
Is it still in cinema?
Olga should appear in next movies (at least she appears in books :)
Isn't she nice in movie?

madwolfie
Manager
Manager

Postby madwolfie » Fri, 23 Sep 2005 9:01 pm

hibri2 > I would have to agree that the communal review is merely a matrix for us to gauge the movie. :twisted:

I have seen people sleeping through "Star Wars 3" and walking out on "The Woodsman". A pity I had to miss out on "Bonjour, Mr Shlomi" while exploring "Hitchhiker's Guide to The Galaxy".

Do you think the books could be out in ENGLISH at all? Hmmm, would be good if it is! :D

Would you have any more collection of dark books/movies/music?

"Shhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!" is pretty much a very fitting theme for our thread discussion here :lol: Thumbs up for that!

P/S There is a groupie who wanted to "dress up" to characters of "The Corpse Bride" whilst catching the movie...Think it'd be interesting really... :)

Vodkashot > You just make me miss my fav Smirnoff Black.... [howls]

Shazers
Regular
Regular

I c........

Postby Shazers » Mon, 26 Sep 2005 6:54 pm

Hmm,

The next sequel is coming out later this year in Russia...so in Singapore would probably be next year! As for the books...there might be English translations but not for a couple of months more..................info all from Russian friend! HAHAHA!

Corpse's bride is animation :roll: ..... was hoping it was with real cast...would have been so exciting considering its a Tim Burton movie! :)

Other than that............anything else dark happening with anyone...........

So hibri2 what else is happening man?!! Any new info?!

Shazers :lol:

Shazers
Regular
Regular

I c........

Postby Shazers » Mon, 26 Sep 2005 6:55 pm

Hmm,

The next sequel is coming out later this year in Russia...so in Singapore would probably be next year! As for the books...there might be English translations but not for a couple of months more..................info all from Russian friend! HAHAHA!

Corpse's bride is animation :roll: ..... was hoping it was with real cast...would have been so exciting considering its a Tim Burton movie! :)

Other than that............anything else dark happening with anyone...........

So hibri2 what else is happening man?!! Any new info?!

Shazers :lol:

hibri2
Chatter
Chatter

happening

Postby hibri2 » Mon, 26 Sep 2005 7:28 pm

a Tim Burton cosplay sounds interesting, can i volunteer as a photographer? just B&W pictures, anything with a Burton theme breeds nice pictures, even for a amateur photographer like me.

missed the chance to go this sunday to look for the books, but they are from 1998 so i imagine that there should be an english edition.

well happening as in movies?

i got some info that they are doing a movie based on The Watchmen, the alan moore graphic novel (check also V for Vendetta from the same fella), seeing that the did a very good porject with Sin City, i am hoping for this one.

anyone here like the Jeunet cinnema? that guy does really dark movies.
Last edited by hibri2 on Thu, 29 Sep 2005 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

hibri2
Chatter
Chatter

Re: I c........

Postby hibri2 » Mon, 26 Sep 2005 7:37 pm

Shazers wrote: Corpse's bride is animation :roll: ..... was hoping it was with real cast...would have been so exciting considering its a Tim Burton movie! :)

except for Johnny Depp, i don know of any human that could successfully impersonate what populate the bizarre (and beautiful) mind of Tim Burton.

:shock:

Shazers
Regular
Regular

lets see.........

Postby Shazers » Fri, 07 Oct 2005 1:23 pm

Yeow,

Kinda of agree with you...dont think that there are weirdo actors (i mean it as a complement!) apart from Johhny Depp and oh that guy who starred in Fatboy Slim music video..i forgot his name! He also acted as the headless guy in Sleepy Hollow!

Have heard about the movie..."The possession of Emily Rose...its real SCARY! Hate horror movies where there is possession going on like, The Exorcist! That gave me many sleepless night!

Dont mind VAMPIRE movies though! :wink:

Shazers

hibri2
Chatter
Chatter

vampires

Postby hibri2 » Fri, 07 Oct 2005 2:18 pm

vampires recently are a little overrated, after the underworld fiasco, the mina character in the extraordinary gentlemen and van helsing, and then we have the goth raping victorian gothic with their gloom (TM). i think we can not scape the Rice's lestat cool vampire formula.

but, if you are really into true victorian gothic vampires you *must* see a movie called "Tale of a Vampire" (with Julian Sands), the movie starts with a Poe poem, closes with a Poe poem, it has something that sounds like Chopin Nocturnes (not sure) as a soundtrack and there is not a single fang showing... need to say more? (directed by Shimako Sato, [no idea])

then if you like really cool vampires without all the trendy MTV types, you should see "Near Dark", it is very good (except for the way they end the plot [i think the end was meant for the U.S'ers audiences, so lets say it is a forcedly happy end]), no fangs, lotsa of good punk music, no angs and very cool characters. It was directed by this Kathryn Bigelow girl (she also directed Strange Days, highly recommended).

question:

it is Christopher Walken the other wierdo actor?

try to catch "The Prophecy" he plays as a *very* cool Archangel Gabriel there, and the movie portraits an interesting view of a war in heaven.

Shazers
Regular
Regular

oh!

Postby Shazers » Mon, 10 Oct 2005 11:40 am

i c,

Yeah Christopher Walken is the other guy! Think that he is one cool actor! Have to catch , The Prophecy now! SOunds like a good movie!

Well, vampires do go back in history! They are certainly overrated but they still have their 'evil' persona about them to lure the new age generation!

Did ya watch Constantine..thought that it was a real cool show...watched it twice and let me assure ya that it was not for Keanu Reeves! Thought that it was a good movie..balance between good and evil! It was GOOD!!!!

N yeah, "the Exorcist" was based on a true life story...how SCARY! Dont disturb the ancients! Then again, how can I now now that it is my profession! :wink:

Shazers :D

hibri2
Chatter
Chatter

constantino

Postby hibri2 » Mon, 10 Oct 2005 4:53 pm

well for constantine i have mixed feelings, i love the comic, i liked the movie but can not see the later related to the other.

i put it this way, there are movies based on a comic (Sin City, Fifth Element) and movies made using a comic "universe axioms" (spiderman, x-men, constantino, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc)

Shazers
Regular
Regular

hey

Postby Shazers » Sat, 15 Oct 2005 12:41 pm

Hey Hibri2,

So what are you up to nowadays? Dont think that any good movies are on!

Shazers
:D

hibri2
Chatter
Chatter

the promise

Postby hibri2 » Sat, 17 Dec 2005 1:47 pm

well after being unable to catch any movies for a while, i went to see "Mo gik" (the promise) [director Kaige Chen] and well... it... was... just... great!

just as Ying xiong (hero) [director Yimou Zhang] there is a lot of colour symbolism, excelent musik and impressive atmosphere.

i will say that Mo Gik is just like watching a dream it is made with this oniric feeling all around the movie. it was refreshing to see a fantasy movie (yes it is a fantasy movie, and it should be seen as such) without all the eurocentric memes that currently run rampant (from teenager wizards doing magic with a "two latin words formula" to warrior kings with an identity crisis) and it is also a drama with a very simple plot about fate. love and perception. the plot is simple, yes, but by no means shallow, lets say it is like a very thin yet long needle.

go and watch this movie, you will see something that is worthy, and please, share your comments.

Return to “Events, Gatherings, Making Friends”