Singapore Expats Forum

Travelling to Japan for New Year anyone?

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
Kurt

Travelling to Japan for New Year anyone?

Postby Kurt » Thu, 08 Sep 2005 10:13 am

Hi,

I'm just thinking of flying to Japan for New Year - perhaps from 29 Dec to, say, 08 Jan. - either Osaka or Tokyo.
There are very good deals with SQ and JAL for min.4 people travelling together. I'm wondering if 2+ people in this forum might be interested in teaming up?
Am somewhat flexible around the dates, but cannot leave too much earlier, due to my holidays.

cheers
Kurt

Postby Guest » Thu, 08 Sep 2005 10:27 am

How much is the flight if it's 4 people? Are you going on a tour package or free-and-easy? Most people in Japan don't speak English by the way.

Postby Guest » Thu, 08 Sep 2005 10:35 am

Anonymous wrote:How much is the flight if it's 4 people? Are you going on a tour package or free-and-easy? Most people in Japan don't speak English by the way.

sorry, should have been more specific. price is SGD 645 excl tax per person.
no, this is NOT a tour thing. i am mainly thinking of japanese who are going back for new year etc.
yes, i know that people do not always speak english in japan, but at least they are very friendly towards foreigners ;-)

cheers
Kurt

yuks
Regular
Regular

Postby yuks » Mon, 12 Sep 2005 5:25 pm

Kurt,

If you can read Japanese, check out the airticket section in

http://www.singaweb.net/bbs/frame.html

It's a board for people like you who are trying to find other people to buy discounted tickets with. At the moment there doesn't seem to be anyone who has posted the dates you are looking for but I'm sure there will be some closer to the date otherwise you can always post yourself!

If you don't read/write Japanese but would like to post, let me know - I can post on behalf of you if you'd like.

Good luck :)

hibri2
Chatter
Chatter

interested

Postby hibri2 » Sat, 17 Sep 2005 1:39 am

hello there,

i am considering going to Japan at around the same time, still deciding between Corea or Japan though.

one question, are you teaming up for the ticket package or for the full trip? don't mind either way, but will like to now more about it.

hope to hear from you soon.

Kurt

Re: interested

Postby Kurt » Wed, 28 Sep 2005 1:56 pm

hibri2 wrote:hello there,

i am considering going to Japan at around the same time, still deciding between Corea or Japan though.

one question, are you teaming up for the ticket package or for the full trip? don't mind either way, but will like to now more about it.

hope to hear from you soon.

Hi, sorry for my late reply. It's just for the airfare, as there are special offers where 4 people can fly cheaper. We are 2 and I need 2 more.

Of course, if you do have questions about Japan, pls ask. Japan is probably a better destination than Korea in terms of sightseeing etc. Not that much to do and see there.

cheers
Kurt

mikster

japan

Postby mikster » Wed, 28 Sep 2005 4:25 pm

oooh, I'm going to Japan.. haven't been back for years even though I am japanese... but probably not there for new years.. though I am sure you will have a GREAT time, new years in Japan is an experience not to be missed... don't get too trashed on NY eve, because you should really follow all the japanese on new years morning and go to the big temples or whatever. It's amazing, everyone in their kimonos, very photogenic day

I'll probably go there before, maybe even next month... So thats a shame... I'm trying to be cheap too, I think Im gonna try and go on my mileage...
Last edited by mikster on Thu, 06 Oct 2005 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

maytenth1969

your coming back schedule can be earlier?

Postby maytenth1969 » Sun, 02 Oct 2005 1:39 am

Hi,

I am also looking for someone planning on the same schedule for the SQ promotional tickets. Mine is 29 Dec night flight and coming back on 3 Jan night flight. If you may be able to think of those schedules, would appreciate to contact me.

maytenth@singnet.com.sg

Thank you.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Re: japan

Postby earthfriendly » Tue, 04 Oct 2005 2:00 pm

mikster wrote:should really follow all the japs on new years morning and go to the big temples or whatever. It's amazing, everyone in their kimonos, very photogenic day

Mikster,

Do you know of a good place to purchase a kimono. I will be visiting Japan next year and am interested in acquiring one, eventually even if it is not on this trip. I understand that it is extremely pricey and hard to take care of. However, I adore it too much and gotta have one. INMHO, one of the most elegant costumes to grace this world.

Can't wait to go to Japan,,,,,,,,,, just counting the days.

Kurt

Re: japan

Postby Kurt » Thu, 06 Oct 2005 10:08 am

earthfriendly wrote:
mikster wrote:should really follow all the japs on new years morning and go to the big temples or whatever. It's amazing, everyone in their kimonos, very photogenic day

Mikster,

Do you know of a good place to purchase a kimono. I will be visiting Japan next year and am interested in acquiring one, eventually even if it is not on this trip. I understand that it is extremely pricey and hard to take care of. However, I adore it too much and gotta have one. INMHO, one of the most elegant costumes to grace this world.

Can't wait to go to Japan,,,,,,,,,, just counting the days.

Hi,

I purchased a Kimono in Japan once (men's version). They don't come cheap - you are looking at a minimum of 5000 Sing$ for a new one - of course if you just go for a cotton yukatta, you can pay much much less and those are probably more appropriate for a singapore climate anyway.
you can of course buy a kimono taylor-made in any major city, usually in the main shopping areas, in a dedicated kimono shop. for sure in more traditional places like kyoto.
As for the original topics, the flights: I am looking at dates from ca. 28/29 December to 12-13 January now - if anyone is intereted, please respond. Need 2 more pax for a JAL or SQ flight to either Tokyo, Nagoya or Kansai (Osaka).
cheers
Kurt

mikster

kimonos

Postby mikster » Thu, 06 Oct 2005 11:19 am

Hmmm, the kimonos are a hard one.. I usually get the local kimono tailor to come into the house and take the measurements. Of course, that's gonna be the best quality, and you can choose the material, everything to fit you.. But these days you can buy them at department stores, still expensive but not as much. Maybe if you go outside of Tokyo into a smaller village, it would be worth getting a tailored one? Still, the older generations get theirs tailored so I think if you got contacts you might be able to get a cheap, good one, which is worth it because you wear it in winter, and you want it to have the proper layers, proper cutting, the socks, the overall thing, beautiful bow to match your dress, etc, at the same time as keeping you warm enough.. but of course, you could get a yukata (kimono for summer) which is a lot, lot cheaper.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Postby earthfriendly » Wed, 19 Oct 2005 3:31 pm

Sorry for off-topic. If I am not wearing it to entertain my husband (sorry for being naughty, hee! hee!), I will be hanging it for display in my California home. What is the price range for an off-the-shelf medium quality outfit? I want a kimono, not yukatta. Are there rods and accessories for hanging the kimono?

Me and hubby would like to visit Japan in Dec. this year. We have too many things to finalize and hope the tours do not sell out.