Singapore Expats Forum

Teaching jobs?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

rachel.molyneux

Teaching jobs?

Postby rachel.molyneux » Thu, 08 Sep 2005 5:19 am

I am relocating in January with my family.
I am a fully qualified teaching assistant, with all relevant training, a-levels, teaching practice, S.E.N. experience etc.
I would like to continue working when we get out there as i do not want to be a stay-at-home mum!
Any ideas on how to get a job, what extra qulifications do i need, if any, should I get in touch with the LEA equivalent, or direct to schools??
I intend to get my employment pass as soon as we arrive.
I would appreciate any help.
Thanks. :D

Postby Guest » Thu, 08 Sep 2005 8:54 am

Do you want to teach or work as a teacher's assitant? What age students?

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Baron Greenback » Thu, 08 Sep 2005 3:43 pm

email all the International Schools before you leave with your CV.

If you apply for a job when you get here you will only get 'local' status where the pay can be much less. However as an assistant there may not be any expat packages anyway, but as they say in Newcastle 'Shy bains get nay sweets'

Try Eton house, Chatsworth, American School, Australian School, German School etc etc Depends on age group and other factors I suppose. Good luck
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

Carpe Diem
Manager
Manager

Postby Carpe Diem » Thu, 08 Sep 2005 3:54 pm

French school also - yes they teach English...
La vie est trop courte, profitons de chaque instant

rachel.molyneux

Postby rachel.molyneux » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 3:43 am

Hi All
Thankyou very much for your replies. In answer to Guest, I would prefer to actually teach my own class, I already do 4 afternoons straight teaching a week here. My pupil range is nursery to yr6, ( 3yrs-11yrs) but I am more experienced with KS1 ( 4yrs-7yrs). I believe that with my academic qualifications I could teach in primary overseas but that needs clarification.
Thanks also to every1 for the suggestions put forward about contacting schools direct, and about pay etc. I will act on those recommendations.
Meantime, if anyone hears of anything.....let me know!!
Thanks a lot guys! :D