Singapore Expats Forum

Post-CELTA Course - Job Opportunities

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

NJ

Post-CELTA Course - Job Opportunities

Postby NJ » Mon, 05 Sep 2005 2:47 pm

Hi there,

I am considering applying for the CELTA course that is run by the British Council. Does anyone know how employment opportunities stand in Singapore once qualified?

I am a native English speaker with a University degree. I have recently moved to Singapore with my husband and have been looking at a career change. Teaching was something that I looked at 10 year ago and now that things have slowed down for me (on the travel and work front), I am considering teaching again.

I would appreciate any feedback on the relative ease (or difficulty) I may find in getting a job.

Thanks!

Postby Guest » Mon, 05 Sep 2005 5:15 pm

NJ
i have seen quite a few ads in the paper and on online job databases about english teaching jobs. usually most require you to be a native english speaker ( which you are ) and then some kind of certification.

coming from someone who taught English in japan for years ( without any certification ) , i wonder if similar jobs in Singapore would really require to have those certifications. im not sure how things are in singapore . Im going in the reverse as you... Im looking to switch careers from English teaching to something else... which is pretty hard in singapore and is taking me a long time getting used to things.

good luck and let us know how you go.

Postby Guest » Tue, 06 Sep 2005 4:57 pm

Thanks for the info... Have been ringing around and getting a favourable response. Still hoping to take the CELTA course as I don't plan on being in Singapore forever.

Good luck with the job hunt.. away from teaching.

NJ

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Postby k1w1 » Thu, 08 Sep 2005 9:42 pm

You shouldn't have too much trouble finding work, but there are some serious sharks out there: forewarned is fore-armed. I have heard that the British Council are a good place to work (and they are hiring I hear - through the grapevine - in a month or so), so they might be a good place to try.

Some schools (known as the "McEnglish" schools) will pay the absolute minimum they can and expect a lot for it, while others will be a little more reasonable.

There are a lot of Asian expats here, and this is probably who you will end up teaching.

PM me if you have any questions (or want to know some places to try and places to steer well clear of...)

Pinchy

Postby Pinchy » Thu, 08 Sep 2005 9:51 pm

There is work teaching foreign students in Singapore, but be warned: the pay and conditions are shocking. Be prepared to teach full-time for two months just to pay the CELTA fees.

Postby Guest » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 4:50 pm

yes english teaching in singapore does not pay very well. but im not sure if they as underpaid as other local jobs like retail, etc...
NJ, do you prefer to work with a school or have your own lessons. there are many japanese expats here and im sure they would be interested in learning english. i have seen ads in the J paper here ( for japanese people ) posted by other english teachers.

the " McEnglish " schools here , which i recognise from Japan are : GEOS, Berlitz ( although not so McEnglish ) . I think HESS and Shines are also looking for teachers.