Singapore Expats

Hurricane Katrina - the terrorism of Mother Nature?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Geologist

Hurricane Katrina - the terrorism of Mother Nature?

Post by Geologist » Mon, 05 Sep 2005 9:13 am

So soon after the Asian Tsunami but once again, She wins! It takes a disaster like this to see the brightest and darkest side of human beings, civilised countries notwithstanding! The way that Washington has responded to their homeland disaster is a disgrace to humanity...I salute Cuba's offer of medical assistance to a country hell bent on destroying it. I hope we will learn something from this, something good.

beenhere10years
Chatter
Chatter

Post by beenhere10years » Mon, 05 Sep 2005 9:23 am

Hey Geologist!

How would you classify the rocks in your head?

Igneous, sedimentary or metamorphic?
When you go in for a job interview, I think a good thing to ask is if they ever press charges.

-- jack handy

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Post by banana » Mon, 05 Sep 2005 9:26 am

How about stoned?
some signatures are more equal than others

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Mon, 05 Sep 2005 9:35 am

'nuff said Image

beenhere10years
Chatter
Chatter

Post by beenhere10years » Mon, 05 Sep 2005 9:55 am

Or maybe we should 'stone' him...
When you go in for a job interview, I think a good thing to ask is if they ever press charges.

-- jack handy

julio chavez

Post by julio chavez » Mon, 05 Sep 2005 9:55 am

I presume you are white vocals. Say something else besides attacking geologist. Is the reflection in the mirror too ugly to bear?

beenhere10years
Chatter
Chatter

Post by beenhere10years » Mon, 05 Sep 2005 10:04 am

No. Intolerance, ignorance and the insistance of finding fault are too ugly to bear. Cast your dispersions elsewhere.

-- jack handy

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Mon, 05 Sep 2005 10:39 am

julio chavez wrote:I presume you are white vocals. Say something else besides attacking geologist. Is the reflection in the mirror too ugly to bear?

My vocals are my business! (and they're pink!)

'nuff said Image

Hakuna Matata

Post by Hakuna Matata » Mon, 05 Sep 2005 11:25 am

beenhere10years wrote:No. Intolerance, ignorance and the insistance of finding fault are too ugly to bear. Cast your dispersions elsewhere.
Vaucluse wrote:
julio chavez wrote:I presume you are white vocals. Say something else besides attacking geologist. Is the reflection in the mirror too ugly to bear?

My vocals are my business! (and they're pink!)
Hah! In that case, cast your dispersions on your christmas cake and cast your aspersions up your rear end.

john kilby

Re: Hurricane Katrina - the terrorism of Mother Nature?

Post by john kilby » Mon, 05 Sep 2005 1:40 pm

well said geologist! if some good can come out from human suffering, then we should focus on that good and ask why we cant do so more often. a nation who treats some of its own citizens as second class citizens is worse than turd...as a white american, i apologise for those of my colour who profess to be good and considerate but are in fact idiots who soil the good name of our great nation.
Geologist wrote:So soon after the Asian Tsunami but once again, She wins! It takes a disaster like this to see the brightest and darkest side of human beings, civilised countries notwithstanding! The way that Washington has responded to their homeland disaster is a disgrace to humanity...I salute Cuba's offer of medical assistance to a country hell bent on destroying it. I hope we will learn something from this, something good.

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Post by banana » Mon, 05 Sep 2005 3:08 pm

john kilby wrote:well said geologist! if some good can come out from human suffering, then we should focus on that good and ask why we cant do so more often. a nation who treats some of its own citizens as second class citizens is worse than turd...as a white american, i apologise for those of my colour who profess to be good and considerate but are in fact idiots who soil the good name of our great nation.
Understand totally where you're coming from but consider that the highlighted bit is basically the justification for capitalism. And the sentence following? Why the very country this forum is based in!

Post by Guest » Mon, 05 Sep 2005 4:00 pm

Geologist wrote:So soon after the Asian Tsunami but once again, She wins!]It takes a disaster like this to see the brightest and darkest side of human beings, civilised countries notwithstanding! The way that Washington has responded to their homeland disaster is a disgrace to humanity...I salute Cuba's offer of medical assistance to a country hell bent on destroying it. I hope we will learn something from this, something good.
Well said, Geologist.

Mother Nature is always trying to teach us something not only about ourselves but also about herself and others.

Arrogance has no place before her neither does ego. She will destroy you within a matter of seconds until you resemble nothing. Mother Nature has a way of showing the true colors of others. She is clever. We truly learn about others when she strikes.

There are many lessons that I have learnt during disasters in my own lifetime, empathy is one of them. The greatest lesson is learning about OURSELVES, what kind of humans we truly are or have become. It has a clever way of showing our personal bias and prejudicies towards others. It also shows us how hateful, full of anger and envy the human nature is.

I hope the survivors will be okay soon.

Post by Guest » Mon, 05 Sep 2005 4:09 pm

JK, if you are looking for 'turds' you have come to the right forum. You will find plenty more on the other threads regarding this hurricane.

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Post by banana » Mon, 05 Sep 2005 4:20 pm

Yes because talking about humanitarian ideals under anonymity on an internet forum will really help the survivors. Heck, I'm sure they feel better already!

/end sarcasm

/start blunt troll slamming aka Captain Obvious Mode

Take your grandstanding evangelism somewhere else. Or at least keep it to one thread. Yes, we know it was a shitty thing to happen. Yes, we feel terrible for all involved. Yes, some of us 'turds' have family and friends there. No, not everyone has a need to announce to the world how wonderfully humane they are. No, humour does not indicate a lack of compassion. No, you clearly do not understand the meaning of irony.

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Post by sapphire » Mon, 05 Sep 2005 4:27 pm

banana, I couldn't have said it better!!
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.