Singapore Expats Forum

Family problems?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

briceloh
Reporter
Reporter

Family problems?

Postby briceloh » Sun, 04 Sep 2005 11:56 pm

If you can't get along with your family no matter how you try. Do you move out and stay alone or sit it out ?
IBMing

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Mon, 05 Sep 2005 12:01 am

Move out of course, if you're really miserable that is. Sometimes a little distance helps put things in perspective and may then lead to a better relationship with your family.
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

briceloh
Reporter
Reporter

Postby briceloh » Mon, 05 Sep 2005 12:05 am

sapphire wrote:Move out of course, if you're really miserable that is. Sometimes a little distance helps put things in perspective and may then lead to a better relationship with your family.

hmm...will moving out makes the relationship better? something tells me that it'll simply cut all ties?
IBMing

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Mon, 05 Sep 2005 12:14 am

I'm speaking from experience, if its your immediate family like your mom and dad, no way will you ever sever ties completely. Your folks love you unconditionally and vice-versa. However, if you think you can have a mature and open talk with them and sort out things, would say try that a little harder. Family is very important in life.
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Mon, 05 Sep 2005 4:02 am

Briceloh, I have to agree with Sapphire and I speak from experience too.
I took something of a disliking to my mother's current husband and to cut a long story short severed all ties for about 20 years in which I never bothered to contact him or her in any way (hard b*d that I was).

Over time things change, things happen people stop and reflect on their lives ( I do when there is time), and eventually you may find you or the family may simply think 'what the hell?' and simply forget arguments, disagreements or whatever,which willl of course end up being history.
I am not one for sayings but maybe you have heard the old adage 'absense makes the heart grow fonder'. Believe me it's true.

Plavt.

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Postby banana » Mon, 05 Sep 2005 7:54 am

If you can afford it, why not? Rather understandable considering the pace of development in Singapore usually means the generational gap is wider than ever before. Very often, severing ties temporarily can heal wounds better than constantly trying to fix it.
some signatures are more equal than others

Carpe Diem
Manager
Manager

Postby Carpe Diem » Mon, 05 Sep 2005 8:04 am

banana wrote:If you can afford it, why not? Rather understandable considering the pace of development in Singapore usually means the generational gap is wider than ever before. Very often, severing ties temporarily can heal wounds better than constantly trying to fix it.

Sorry banana, I don't get your joke here :mrgreen:
La vie est trop courte, profitons de chaque instant

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Postby banana » Mon, 05 Sep 2005 8:07 am

Carpe Diem wrote:Sorry banana, I don't get your joke here :mrgreen:

:lol: Cheers man, don't know how I let that slip. Won't happen again.

Carpe Diem
Manager
Manager

Postby Carpe Diem » Mon, 05 Sep 2005 8:08 am

banana wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:Sorry banana, I don't get your joke here :mrgreen:

:lol: Cheers man, don't know how I let that slip. Won't happen again.

Will keep tracking your posts. Behave!
La vie est trop courte, profitons de chaque instant

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Postby banana » Mon, 05 Sep 2005 8:13 am

Hey briceloh, have you considered putting yourself up for adoption? Best of both worlds man. You don't have to live alone AND you get new parents.

shasha_sg76

Postby shasha_sg76 » Mon, 05 Sep 2005 8:23 am

Hey Brice, it really depends..cos if its parents then you should sit and talk, try to find out what the problem is, try to find alternatives to the issue , nip it in the bud. Try to then come to a solution that will make both parties happy.

Moving out will not only hurt your family's feelings ,but especially your parents. On the other hand ,moving out will only make things worse, relations will turn more sour.

There is no such thing that cannot be solved.Its all about compromise.Its whether you want to do so or not.

Take care Brice!

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Mon, 05 Sep 2005 8:54 am

banana wrote:Hey briceloh, have you considered putting yourself up for adoption? Best of both worlds man. You don't have to live alone AND you get new parents.

How do they call bananas in South Africa?

Eric

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Postby banana » Mon, 05 Sep 2005 9:06 am

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Mon, 05 Sep 2005 9:08 am

Not as annoying as 'badger, badger, badger . . . . '

Oh, the clip, not you, banana - you are infinitely more annoying. 8)

'nuff said Image

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Mon, 05 Sep 2005 9:08 am

hahaha!!!

I am not sure that is South Africa though, looks more like Mars somewhere in the near future.

Eric