Singapore Expats Forum

Give up PR status?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

Jet

Give up PR status?

Postby Jet » Sun, 04 Sep 2005 4:34 pm

Since Im leaving for a job post in another country.

I just want to keep my options open as I know it is quite difficult to apply for it.

But if I try to keep it what are my chances that it will get revoked?

Grep

Re: Give up PR status?

Postby Grep » Mon, 05 Sep 2005 8:21 am

Your PR won't be revoked unless you have done something to upset the powers that be ala Ryan Goh. What will happen is your re-entry permit will expire at some stage and if you are overseas when that happens, you will lose your right to enter Singapore as a PR. Now, to renew your re-entry permit, you'll need to show immigration that you're currently working in Singapore, if you got your PR under the Professional category.
Jet wrote:Since Im leaving for a job post in another country.
If you can't show evidence that you're working when you
I just want to keep my options open as I know it is quite difficult to apply for it. tyr to renew it, chances are ICA will deny your application. Don't
think there's a workaround for this, unless your PR is obtained by
But if I try to keep it what are my chances that it will get revoked?
vrtue of being married to a Singaporean. In that case, you will be
able to renew your re-entry permit for as long as you can show
evidence that you're still married to the Singaporean spouse at the
time of application.

ibwo

Postby ibwo » Sun, 11 Sep 2005 12:14 am

Let me share my experience:
1. Got my PR thru the Professional Scheme
2. Left to the US for further studies for 5 years
3. Got back with Reentry Permit expired
4. Got a job
5. Call ICA - "Nope we cant re-instate your PR. Your re-entry permit expired. Do you have wife or children in Singapore? If not, no chance at all".
6. Went to ICA for status verification - return the blue IC.
7. Now holding Employment Pass - without CPF contribution

The easy 7-step to lose your PR!!! You will lose your PR if the REP expired and even though you get a job then, it is not renewable.

I just dont understand the logic behind this. Why is the ICA not willing to re-instate PR holders who left temporary to upgrade themselves and eventually contributing more to Singapore? Why has to put us thru so much red tape?

Now I am left with Employment Pass and a static CPF account which I cant withdraw as well. So ... go figure ....

Jet

maybe...

Postby Jet » Sun, 11 Sep 2005 11:36 pm

its because you just let your re-entry permit expire without getting in touch with them at least. Or they tried to get in-touch with you but you werent reachable.

I have yet to hear someone who was able re-apply PR.