Singapore Expats Forum

Wat do u think of Van Basten Squad and Tactics ??

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

KT
Chatter
Chatter

Wat do u think of Van Basten Squad and Tactics ??

Postby KT » Sun, 04 Sep 2005 2:51 pm

interesting so many big names missing , and rightfully so , it was always dissappointing to watch players that perform so well for club hardly having a good game for the country.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=341210&root=worldcup&cc=4716[/url]
"El tango no está en los pies. Está en el corazón."

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Sun, 04 Sep 2005 3:59 pm

yeah, it is a bit weird to see my national team line up these days.

First a bit of the background of Marco van Basten as out national coach, and our history of tactics and our failures instead of successes...

In 1974 we played the best football, it got branded as 'total football'. Those were the golden days of Johan Cruyff. We made it to the final at the World Cup, we should have beaten Germany easily, but we didnot. In 1978 we played against then fascist Argentina in the final, without Johan Cruyff himself, but still we lost after agregation time.

But since then our name was branded, the latinos called us "La Naranja mecanica', named after our orange colour and our impeccable agressive football tactics. Through time we had fantastic players, most of them strikers, but as football changed, the players became superstars, more and more arrogance and big egos killed us from inside.

Most of the Dutch hate, really h-a-t-e, a guy like Seedorf, for his unbelievable arrogance and wish for eternal individual stardom. When he missed penalties, he was banned from Holland. He was lucky to play abroad, as in Holland he would have been assasinated, for sure...

Results were no better than semi-finals at the major tournaments, and there was always internal fights for the biggest ego.

At the KNVB, the Dutch football association, it was no better. Managers (we call them 'bobos') and high level wanna bees who thought they knew how Holland could finally show the world how good we were and get us some World Cups (yeah, right...), but all was focussed on their own egos.

At the background there has always been one person, seen as the Allmighty and guruh of Dutch football: Johann Cruyff. Hated by the establishment for his independant views and cynism on the bobos, he was being ignored for several years, but in the background all coaches were mentored by Cruyff (except for Louis van Gaal, the biggest ego of all).

Finally after last years deception at the European Championships in Portugal, the eyes of our bobos were opened, and they no longer could ignore the calls from 16 million people shouting to have Cruyff be in charge. So the ceo of our football association went on audience at Cruyff's castle in Barcelona, and the Allmighty decided that God Marco van Basten was to be announced Team Coach.

As of that moment, all 16 million bowed and preyed to god Marco for giving us finally a World title.

Marco van Basten, the former striker of Ajax and AC Milan (absolutely the best striker of all times in the galaxy) is being mentored by his all time mentor Johan Cruyff and nobody will ever question Marco's decisions.

So far we only had one draw and 8 wins in the qualifications, we beat Czechia at home 2-0 and we will most likely qualify.

BUT.... where is the 'total football', our everlasting brand? Where is the fully charged agressive and attacking Dutch football? With a midfield led by pitbull Davids, with all time national topscorer Kluivert, besided by Ruud van Nistlerooy and Arjen Robben?

Nope, we have different names, some of them I didn't even know they were professional football players, before they got chosen to represent Holland.

We play boring in most games, but there is no egos fighting against eachother, there is a teamspirit that goes back to the 1970's when Cruyff was leading the team. Chaps that will take over from eachother, that tackle and spit on the pitch, guys you do not even recognize with their faces full of mud when they leave the pitch after another game, another win for Holland.

It takes time, but we can only decide to cheer or booh after next years Championships.

Until now I can't imagine us playing a role of importance next year in Germany, but then again the "all stars team" with big egos Jaap Stam, Edgar Davids, Patrick Kluivert, Clarence Seedorf, Boudewijn Zenden lost 3 times against Czechia, before the 'unknown' beat them 2-0.... So who knows...

Still need to get used to it though....

Campeone campeone, ole ole ole!!!

Eric

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Sun, 04 Sep 2005 4:45 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: Sorry, Eric :lol: :lol: :lol:

Marco van Basten, the former striker of Ajax and AC Milan (absolutely the best striker of all times in the galaxy)

:lol: :lol: :lol: Sorry Eric :lol: :lol: :lol:

'nuff said Image

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Sun, 04 Sep 2005 4:52 pm

I know vaucluse, the truth is not always easy to accept... :mrgreen:

Eric

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Sun, 04 Sep 2005 4:56 pm

Hmm, ever heard of Gerd Müller . . . 10 goals in a world cup - I believe this includes against the Oranje . . .

I did love watching Dutch football . . .

'nuff said Image

JayV

Postby JayV » Mon, 05 Sep 2005 9:29 am

Vaucluse wrote:Hmm, ever heard of Gerd Müller . . . 10 goals in a world cup - I believe this includes against the Oranje . . .

I did love watching Dutch football . . .

Gerd Muller, perhaps the most lethal striker ever: 68 goals in 62 internationals (Muller retired from the national team at the early age of 28), 365 goals in 427 Bundesliga matches, 14 World Cup goals (including the winner in 1974) and 66 Eurocup goals in 74 matches.

The Dutch team 1974 remains my runner up of all time favourites, outclassed only by Brazil in 1970.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Mon, 05 Sep 2005 9:39 am

Gerd Muller, perhaps the most lethal striker ever: 68 goals in 62 internationals (Muller retired from the national team at the early age of 2Cool, 365 goals in 427 Bundesliga matches, 14 World Cup goals (including the winner in 1974) and 66 Eurocup goals in 74 matches.

Read it and weep, Eric - read it an dweep. (I promise that Jay V is not an alter ego!!!)

'nuff said Image

KT
Chatter
Chatter

Postby KT » Mon, 05 Sep 2005 10:21 am

good point eric .... yea .. i m sure it must have been hard for the dutch to see their soccer team performance in the recent years..

as far as total football goes... i m confident that this new blood can do that as well.... just wait for them to win a bit more and get that confidence going ... and we can trust marco to bring out the total football ? (hopefully)

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Mon, 05 Sep 2005 3:14 pm

Gerd Mueller is a goalgetter, I am talking about an artist, who created beauty on the pitch, who made you burst out in tears of sheer impossible acting with goals as a result.

Mueller to be compared with Van Basten is like saying a fried kway teow at any foodcourt in the heartlands here is a better culinary experience than a dinner at The Cliff on Sentosa.

Sure, both will stimulate the tastebuds, but not in the same way I guess...

Nobody cried or shed a tear or even remembered Gerd Mueller when he retired (and actually went down for some time to end up as an alcoholic nobody, living on the streets, before he was picked up again to become a coach for the young at Bayern Muenich), but a 100.000+ crowd at overfilled San Siro was crying when Marco van Basten had to say farewell, due to a chronic ankle injury.

Kluivert, Bergkamp (my all time no. 2), they both scored more goals for Holland, Van Nistelrooy is about to break even with Marco van Basten, but in no way will they ever be regarded equal to Marco Van Basten.

Cruyff saw himself and Pele as the most valuable players of all times, but when asked he said there was no one like Marco van Basten, not even himself (or Pele :D ).

I can take it that others see Brazil and a few others as better than Holland, I have no problem admitting we are a bunch of big ego wankers, when it comes to playing results, but nobody can convince me that "Il Marco", was not the most beautiful and best striker of all times in the galaxy... :lol:

KT,

yep, this team is being prepared to present next year at WC in Germany, and when winning the next few matches, they should be seen as the ones who will hopefully make us forget the well known guys, who do a marvellous game back at their clubs, but just look at themselves, when playing in our national team.

Eric

superedge
Chatter
Chatter

Before I forget

Postby superedge » Mon, 05 Sep 2005 8:15 pm

BTW, before I forget...
we just got in after beating Chile 5 x 0 :)

See you guys in Germany 2006 :)

KT
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Before I forget

Postby KT » Mon, 05 Sep 2005 9:42 pm

told ya , adriano is the man. :wink:

he did a hat trick for inter just in the previous game !

superedge wrote:BTW, before I forget...
we just got in after beating Chile 5 x 0 :)

See you guys in Germany 2006 :)

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Tue, 06 Sep 2005 12:39 pm

Edge, wait until you guys play against the new Dutch team (ahum...) ... 8)

By the way, so it is you who is playing in the football team of Fuz182?

I remember quite some time ago, that Fuz told me about this team, how they play on Saturday and that there was this brazilian striker in their team, he was good.

How come it never occured to me it must have been you... :mrgreen:

Eric

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Tue, 06 Sep 2005 1:07 pm

Oh Eric, it sounds too much like sour grapes - Van Basten was so much like Lineker - 6-yard man.
Does the name Mueller hurt so much because he scord in the 2-1? :D History, mate, history.

You are starting to worry me a bit though with outbursts like:
but nobody can convince me that "
but nobody can convince me that "Il Marco", was not the most beautiful and best striker of all times in the galaxy...
:D

Again, I'll say that Holand had the best teams never to have won a world cup. - See next year! I can feel some bets rising.

'nuff said Image

superedge
Chatter
Chatter

Postby superedge » Tue, 06 Sep 2005 4:13 pm

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:Edge, wait until you guys play against the new Dutch team (ahum...) ... 8)

By the way, so it is you who is playing in the football team of Fuz182?

I remember quite some time ago, that Fuz told me about this team, how they play on Saturday and that there was this brazilian striker in their team, he was good.

How come it never occured to me it must have been you... :mrgreen:

Eric

if it was in the last 2 months yes I think he was talking about me, the only brazilian over there ;)