I'll be moving to Singapore in a few weeks, and am starting the search for housing. I'm a 30 year old single American Born Chinese, who's spent some time in Hong Kong and New York City -- so I'm used to living conditionson the smallish-side. I'm on a 1-year contract and am open to signing a 1-year lease.
Would you please provide some recommendations on areas (or specific properties) to consider to focus my search?
- Mush be close to MRT station.
- Prefer to be close to California Fitness.
- Prefer to have cafes, bookshops, restaurants within walking distance.
- Not a total expat community (I've been living in the mid-levels of Hong Kong and it's a bit too "collegy" for me). I'd like to mix in with local Singaporeans.
- Budget sensitive, I'm on my own for housing.
- Live by myself.
- Not a Serviced Apartment
I also have a couple of questions:
1. What the market rate for unfurnsihed vs. furnished housing? I do not need a serviced apartment.
2. Is a 3-bedroom, 1000 s.f. apartment the standard? This seems like a huge amount of living space.
3. What's the best place to look? The Strait Times, or through rental agencies.
Thanks in advance. Your input would be appreciated.