Singapore Expats

Giving tuition

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
tuition

Giving tuition

Post by tuition » Sat, 03 Sep 2005 2:13 am

Hi. In order to make some extra money, I would like to teach english but first I wanted to check, does anyone do this now and if so, how much do you normally charge per hour and what kind of course materials are needed?

Thanks for your help.

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Post by k1w1 » Sat, 03 Sep 2005 8:28 pm

Can you give us some more info? Have you done this before? Are you a qualified teacher? Age and level of students? Length/type of lesson (read: how much preparation will you need to do?) All of this will affect the amount you can charge, and the type of resources required.

tuition

Post by tuition » Sun, 04 Sep 2005 1:35 pm

Hi. No, I've never done this before, hence the reason I'm trying to make contact with others to get an idea of what I need to do and how to go about it. I don't have a background in teaching but I feel that it's not necessary in order to teach, considering I'm a native english speaker.

Thanks for your help.

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Post by k1w1 » Sun, 04 Sep 2005 3:56 pm

You're going to find it very hard, I'm afraid. A bare minimum would be some experience and a TESL. A teaching qualification would be preferable.

I'm not actually sure whether you are being serious: why do you think this is feasible? Even the crappiest language schools in Asia (who do not expect their staff to have experience or qualifications) put their teachers through a training programme and they are required to at least have an idea of resources before going into a class that someone else is supposed to pay for.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but I get really tired of people thinking teaching is a joke job that anyone with a pulse can do.

mumbaigirl

Post by mumbaigirl » Thu, 29 Sep 2005 5:29 pm

hi tuition,

maybe you can volunteer first, gain some expi and then start charging. just a thought.

mumbaigirl

jhkim
Regular
Regular

Post by jhkim » Fri, 30 Sep 2005 12:34 pm

I say SGD 40-60/Hour is a fair amount. I used to pay this Ameican 25 USD/Hour. But then that was 10 years ago.

You don't need all those qualification to do private tutoring.

Just to let you know, people teach other foreign language at 150/hour and these guys do not have any qualifications either except that they are native.

You should try to teach younger kids first then move up and teach adults and charge more too. I am pretty sure you can find good english books at popular book store!~

Good luck.

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Post by k1w1 » Fri, 30 Sep 2005 12:53 pm

Jhkim, show me the tutor who makes money teaching languages without any qualifications, experience (sometimes more valuable than a paper diploma anyway...) and has NO idea what type of text to use or how to teach... That's what the OP is proposing.

Good luck finding anyone who is prepared to pay you 40 bucks an hour to talk to them, just because you are a foreigner.

Here's a thought:

I have a bank account with a bit of money in it. I'd like to put more in there. Since I have used money before and I know the difference between yen, pounds and dollars, maybe I could become a currency analyst... Surely people would pay money to hear what I have to say. Trouble is, I don't know what to do. Any currency analysts that could tell me how to do their job? :shock:

Tom_00

Post by Tom_00 » Sat, 01 Oct 2005 1:24 am

Well, I have been giving private tuition (individual & group) to O-level, A-level students for more than 7 years. All my students not only learn how to study more effectively, many of them learn to be independent and increase their self-esteem as well. If any one of you want to help those are weak in their study (maths, science, english etc) for O & A-level, pls ask them to pm me. Of course, commission could be given to you.
The obvious is not obvious to the prepared mind.