Singapore Expats

Something nice for a change :)

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
SwingMonkey

Something nice for a change :)

Post by SwingMonkey » Thu, 01 Sep 2005 11:25 am

I just received a very surprising phone call. A guy called me to ask me "Had I lost my wallet at Starbucks at SUNTEC?"

What the heck? A quick scramble around showed me that yes, I certainly *had* lost my wallet! Damn!

This kind soul said no problem, he found while having a coffee (waiting for COMEX exhibition to open) and I could come back and collect it.

When I politely tried to offer a reward - let's face it, he just saved me a *huge* amount of hassle! - he waved it off and told me to donate to a charity or something. Oh, and have a nice day and be more careful :)

This wasn't some well off dude in an Armani suit or anything, my guess would have been maybe a student or IT type, just another guy on the street.

Now, I readily admit to being pretty damn cynical. I've been wandering around Asia for nearly 15 years and seen a lot of stuff that doesn't leave me with a whole lot of faith in the Human Species....

...but every so often a simple act of generosity like this leaves me thinking that mayeb we're not totally irredeemable after all :P

Have a nice day!
Putting the 'fun' back in Dys-FUN-ctional :P

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Baron Greenback » Thu, 01 Sep 2005 1:10 pm

Good story SW, always nice to hear when people do good
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Post by banana » Thu, 01 Sep 2005 1:48 pm

Dude you suck. Anyone who can't take care of their own belongings don't deserve to own them.
some signatures are more equal than others

SwingMonkey

Hmmm....

Post by SwingMonkey » Thu, 01 Sep 2005 2:10 pm

banana wrote:Dude you suck. Anyone who can't take care of their own belongings don't deserve to own them.
Thank you for your excellent critique of the moral value of this incident. Your deep and insightful... oops, sorry, my bad... for a moment there I mistook you for someone with a positive IQ.
Putting the 'fun' back in Dys-FUN-ctional :P

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Post by banana » Thu, 01 Sep 2005 2:15 pm

You're welcome. Your response was exactly...oops my bad, I mistook you for someone who don't take things at face value.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Thu, 01 Sep 2005 2:19 pm

yes it's nice to know such good people are around. i once took a taxi and asked for a receipt but in my hurry left without the receipt. about 30 minutes later the taxi driver called. he had just dropped off the passenger after me and found my receipt and he drove all the way back to where he dropped me off just to hand me the receipt, at no extra cost!

whatalark
Regular
Regular

Post by whatalark » Thu, 01 Sep 2005 3:40 pm

Hey, I'm glad you posted this. Thanks.
no trees were hurt in the making of this post but a few electrons were terribly inconvenienced

Sith HC

Post by Sith HC » Thu, 01 Sep 2005 4:18 pm

Nice message. Acts of kindness here are so rare. A good feeling when it's given and received. Is there any way to keep people who just can't say nice things out of this post? *sigh* Honestly, what's coming of this world? Why can't we just enjoy a message of kindness?

superedge
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Something nice for a change :)

Post by superedge » Thu, 01 Sep 2005 5:09 pm

SwingMonkey wrote:I just received a very surprising phone call. A guy called me to ask me "Had I lost my wallet at Starbucks at SUNTEC?"

What the heck? A quick scramble around showed me that yes, I certainly *had* lost my wallet! Damn!

This kind soul said no problem, he found while having a coffee (waiting for COMEX exhibition to open) and I could come back and collect it.

When I politely tried to offer a reward - let's face it, he just saved me a *huge* amount of hassle! - he waved it off and told me to donate to a charity or something. Oh, and have a nice day and be more careful :)

This wasn't some well off dude in an Armani suit or anything, my guess would have been maybe a student or IT type, just another guy on the street.

Now, I readily admit to being pretty damn cynical. I've been wandering around Asia for nearly 15 years and seen a lot of stuff that doesn't leave me with a whole lot of faith in the Human Species....

...but every so often a simple act of generosity like this leaves me thinking that mayeb we're not totally irredeemable after all :P

Have a nice day!

isn't this place, cool?
Welcome to Singapore :)

superedge
Chatter
Chatter

Post by superedge » Thu, 01 Sep 2005 5:14 pm

banana wrote:Dude you suck. Anyone who can't take care of their own belongings don't deserve to own them.
"Dude you suck" - should be your tagline, banana.

So we all remember your consctructive contribution to this forum. how about that, banana?

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Post by dot dot dot » Thu, 01 Sep 2005 5:20 pm

I think banana overall is a cool guy / girl with a great sense of humour, but sometimes the banana just isn't nice to eat, not ripe yet.

Eric

Post by ... » Thu, 01 Sep 2005 5:24 pm

Funny, Eric!

Which reminds me a few years back in Malaysia I lost my library book.. OK I left it in a bus. And when I went to the library to report it the next week, someone had returned it to the library.

I never knew who that kind soul was!

The find would have been over a hundred bucks-which was a lot to a student.

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Post by banana » Thu, 01 Sep 2005 11:47 pm

superedge wrote: "Dude you suck" - should be your tagline, banana.

So we all remember your consctructive contribution to this forum. how about that, banana?
Would you prefer if I posted more pictures of tits, arses and brazilian waxes? Maybe talk about what a great lover I am? Oooh oooh oohh...howsabout pretending to be a troll so I can insult people anonymously? Dumbass.

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:I think banana overall is a cool guy / girl with a great sense of humour, but sometimes the banana just isn't nice to eat, not ripe yet.
Appreciated Eric, I prefer acquired taste to unripe.

superedge
Chatter
Chatter

Post by superedge » Fri, 02 Sep 2005 12:15 am

banana wrote: Would you prefer if I posted more pictures of tits, arses and brazilian waxes? Maybe talk about what a great lover I am? Oooh oooh oohh...howsabout pretending to be a troll so I can insult people anonymously? Dumbass.
no need for both of us to have that kind of discussion online or go on this.
it won't take us anywhere.

And I can even tell you more: my apologies if I came too hard on you , specially considering because someone who I find a nice forum-friend came on your defence. (but read again your post and you also was too hard to someone else)

about what you said about me, no comments.

Given that, let's stop here , please accept my apologies and we follow our paths again.

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Post by banana » Fri, 02 Sep 2005 12:26 am

Ahh that's soft mate. Lift your game. ;)