Singapore Expats Forum

Career assessment

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Kimi
Reporter
Reporter

Career assessment

Postby Kimi » Mon, 29 Aug 2005 10:15 pm

Ever took one?
How did you take the result? Did you follow the advice?

Found one:
http://www.jobhuntersbible.com/counseli ... eling.shtm
Just last week, I was perusing a copy of the What Colour is Your Parachute? book and remembered the website.

http://www.r-cap.net/RCAP05/index2.html
The Japanese one I posted above is for people who are already working, who want to see which of their skills they should develop more. People mainly use it to help them decide the next job or area they'd like to get into.

Actually if there are tests online or test centres you can recommend, that would appreciated too, as I have a friend who would like to change career and would like to assess her skills.
Cheers.

Kimi
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Kimi » Tue, 30 Aug 2005 10:02 pm

Nobody in HR? :(

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Tue, 30 Aug 2005 10:31 pm

I've done a big career assessment class with Rice University and then again with career psychologist. Both of them offered multiple assessment tests, including Myers Briggs... I am an ENTP.

On the one hand, the results are sort of useful. They tend to measure what you might be suited for both from a skill set level and from a temperment and emotional level.

What they lack however is the measurement of the spark that motivates you. What lights your fire, makes passion come alive? What is your mission? These are things that come from the heart and the assessments don't do a good job of identifying that at all.