Singapore Expats Forum

Lau Pa Sat

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Fohls
Chatter
Chatter

Lau Pa Sat

Postby Fohls » Mon, 29 Aug 2005 11:59 am

Saw the most grotesque thing I've seen since coming here on Friday night. I'd been to a friends 2nd anniversary in Singapore. We celebrated his time here by having cheap drinks in Absinthe, a nice French bar on Boon Tat Street. No doubt some of you guys will have been there.

Everyone had had an enjoyable evening and I wasn't too drunk when we left around 2am, so we decided to extend the evening by heading down to Lau Pa Sat a few blocks away from the party. We were eating our Satay and stuff, when a huge ruckus started inside the food court.

We saw one guy run out and jump in a cab, but before the cab could pull away a mob of about 30+ youths who had followed him out decided to pull him out of the cab having already beaten him inside it. They then started kicking and punching him on the floor. Cowards. Mob mentality at it's worst. 30-1 seemed like crap odds to me, I was with a group of 2 other guys and 3 girls.

Both the guys and I knew we couldn't fight back against 30 so we tried not to get involved but I couldn't sit back and watch someone get kicked on the floor. So shouted a few abusive phrases at them. Sure enough once one voice starts in a crowd the rest of the passive on lookers started giving the aggressors abuse. A few seconds later they ran off like the cowards they were. The police took their time arriving as per usual in any country in the world... By which time all the aggressors were long gone.

Needless to say there was no mention of this on the national/local news even though they struggle for any sort of local content...

I'd be ashamed to be part of a group like that... It amazed me that people could just sit around while some guy innocent or not was given a good kicking in front of them...

Needless to say I won't be going back to Lau Pa Sat after dark any time soon.

Alfalfa
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Alfalfa » Mon, 29 Aug 2005 12:12 pm

Thats right Fohls..it always happens in Singapore like that..I have seen it a couple of times too. I salute you for making the first noise and encouraging the others to do the same. All the time I feel like shouting "police" in such instances but I was always told to keep quiet.

It's not that they don't bother they just don't want to get involve and be beaten up to..

And worst be a witness..it takes time to get off from work and at the same time from what i heard you are question like you are apart of the crime..

So cause of these reasons I believe that's why..people just watch.
:oops:
We'll get along fine as soon as you realize I'm Good.

Postby Guest » Mon, 29 Aug 2005 12:46 pm

wow this seems quite interesting. what was the demography of the mob? i mean wat race wat age built anything else you noticed? how about the victim? wat race age other info?

like who do you think they might have been? Just trying to be on the safe side. Can you give more info on the perpetrators so I can keep clear of them?

Fohls
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Fohls » Mon, 29 Aug 2005 1:24 pm

Not an expert on exact local races or ages I'm guessing they were late teens early twentys mostly, the victim was about the same age and race. So don't think it was race related, does it really matter anyway? It was like watching animals no matter what the colour of their skin.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Mon, 29 Aug 2005 2:05 pm

Hey Fohls,

Utterly disgusting indeed... Thank God I never noticed it in Singapore so far, but have heard it does happen here as well (and of course it does, uglyness rears its head everywhere in this world I am afraid...).

Even reading it makes me sick already...

Hope you are ok bro... :(

Eric

Fohls
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Fohls » Mon, 29 Aug 2005 2:14 pm

Cheers for the concern Eric. I'm fine, they didn't fancy their chances against a 6'2-100kg Ang Moh, who was shouting abuse at them. They legged it pretty quick once the crowd who were sitting round joined in. We didn't stick around for long though. Just in case...

It's the first time I've felt uncomfortable here, i feel a bit cheated to be honest. I'm always telling my friends back in the UK: "It's as safe as anything here no fights, no trouble". Then I see that and realise that yep it's a big city just like every other big city i've been to there's always trouble somewhere... Even if you don't go looking for it...

Cam

Postby Cam » Tue, 30 Aug 2005 9:20 am

Turns the stomach doesn't it.

I thought I'd never see that kind of stuff again. Witnessed plenty in England thanks to the lager louts when I was younger and a group of teenagers who decided to repeatedly stamp on the head of some poor tourist.

Oh and the story of the teens who threw rocks at the people doing the marathon. Disappeared when the police turned up. Reappeared to attack the people who called the police (one carried a sword).

Nice.

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Baron Greenback » Tue, 30 Aug 2005 10:36 am

There is not alot you can do in such a situation. As mentioned earlier you can try to shout "police" but then it depends if they understand english.

There must have been a reason for such a beating, you never know maybe the one bloke took advantage of someone's little sister, or maybe he just spilled someone's beer (we will never know)

On a side note Fohls what is Taz saying in your avatar? It looks like he is saying "You're an @rsehole" over & over again.
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

whatalark
Regular
Regular

Postby whatalark » Tue, 30 Aug 2005 10:36 am

Alfalfa wrote:Thats right Fohls..it always happens in Singapore like that..I have seen it a couple of times too. I salute you for making the first noise and encouraging the others to do the same. All the time I feel like shouting "police" in such instances but I was always told to keep quiet.

It's not that they don't bother they just don't want to get involve and be beaten up to..

And worst be a witness..it takes time to get off from work and at the same time from what i heard you are question like you are apart of the crime..

So cause of these reasons I believe that's why..people just watch.
:oops:

I have watched as a mother humiliated her 10-11 year old son in public by making him drink out of a baby bottle with nipple and all and screaming and yelling at him all through the ordeal to make him cry. My heart broke for the kid and I was ready to go over and paste her one in the face cos I CAN'T STAND child abuse in any form.

The only thing that stopped me was realising that she might beat the kid up once they got home because she would blame him for 'putting her in a bad light'.

I am not Singaporean. How would an ordinary conscientious, reasonably caring Singaporean deal with something like this? Indifference or inaction is not an option. Would you report this thing to the Singapore Children's Society (if you were able to somehow get the woman's name)? The cops wouldn't do a thing, I suspect. It is torture to watch something like this and stand by trying to block it out.
no trees were hurt in the making of this post but a few electrons were terribly inconvenienced

samantha
Chatter
Chatter

Postby samantha » Tue, 30 Aug 2005 10:46 am

I think what whatalark experienced is pretty common in singapore. For some mysterious reason, i find Singaporean parents very fond of emotionally and mentally abusing their children. I see parents wacking their kids in public, hurling abuse at them and even forcing food down their throats (because the child refuses to eat). Humilaition, :shock: especially to the chinese seems to be the best way to discipline their child in public.

Oh and the most ironical thing is that i hear them screaming at the kid not to make so much noise, and to attract attention and to embarass them. But the point is that the main attention of the onlookers is on how the parents are screaming at the kid to behave?! :-k
I'm so stupid that I surprise myself sometimes...

whatalark
Regular
Regular

Postby whatalark » Tue, 30 Aug 2005 11:17 am

Samantha, really?? This is an acceptable form of discipline here?? Public humiliation to the point of breaking the human spirit??

For the record, I challenge this form of discipline. Public humiliation is no way to raise a small human being and still expect great things from him/her. It is counter-productive to all the stuff this government wants. Like being world-class and being gracious and polite, etc. A child raised like this would be carrying around a huge complex(es) of one kind or another by the time he is twenty-one. Poor kids.
no trees were hurt in the making of this post but a few electrons were terribly inconvenienced

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Postby banana » Tue, 30 Aug 2005 12:07 pm

Welcome to Singapore whatalark. Home of Confuscionist Ideals - We Bring You Back To The 15th Century!
some signatures are more equal than others

whatalark
Regular
Regular

Postby whatalark » Tue, 30 Aug 2005 12:19 pm

banana wrote:Welcome to Singapore whatalark. Home of Confuscionist Ideals - We Bring You Back To The 15th Century!

A degenerate twisted form of Confucianism, I would hope. What a shame if Confucius himself were to endorse this misguided understanding of 'discipline'.

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Postby banana » Tue, 30 Aug 2005 12:40 pm

Only he would know but history has depicted him to be a staunch advocate of governance.

Everything becomes corrupted over time, just look at the Bible.
some signatures are more equal than others

Fohls
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Fohls » Tue, 30 Aug 2005 2:08 pm

Baron Greenback wrote:On a side note Fohls what is Taz saying in your avatar? It looks like he is saying "You're an @rsehole" over & over again.

More than likely Taz is a very unsavory character :-)