Singapore Expats Forum

Caucasians

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Tue, 30 Aug 2005 11:11 am

samantha wrote:Erm History is like a debate and there are always 2 sides to a stoery in history, based on records. Thus it is almost impossible for historians to make up their mind... :-k

Only two sides?

'nuff said Image

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Postby banana » Tue, 30 Aug 2005 12:06 pm

Depends on whether you are David Blaine.
some signatures are more equal than others

Shabu-Shabu

Postby Shabu-Shabu » Tue, 30 Aug 2005 4:59 pm

That's what I've wanted to ask for a while - why does it matter if an Indian is "caucasoid", "mongloid" or whatever "oid" you can mash behind any word?
What is this big fuss I hear among my Indian friends about dravidian (black) and Aryan (white) and how these Dravidians are "black" and "hairy" and Aryans are "superior" and "white"?

It doesn't bloody matter does it? It seems like just another desperate attempt by a group of racists to connect themselves to the present "white-man is great, big and powerful" mentality and trend and then turn around and blast their "dravidian" friends.
I'd say this Aryan invasion never happened because I actually read there isn't any evidence and they took it out of legend.

We all originate from Africa if they want to go even further backwards, so they should just shut up and stop finding stupid ways to make themselves sound, look and feel white just because they want to find a 'feel-good' factor in something, anything!
Meowing out,
- Shabu-Shabu -

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Tue, 30 Aug 2005 5:11 pm

I don't know about your Indian friends, but my friends don't really bother about being Aryan or Dravidian. The fuss here is more about history and its interpretation.

To make it more specific, I'm north Indian, and I have a few very close friends who are from the south. I absolutely love south Indian food, and dislike the typical north Indian food (mostly served in Indian restaurants worldwide). Its funny that they say the Dravidians are black and hairy, when some of the north Indians can be pretty dark and hairy too. Yes, there's a colonial hangup when it comes to fair skin, but that's changing. It takes a while for mindsets to change. But, change they will.

India is too complex a country to be divided into Aryans and Dravidians stereotype. People who do that are ignorant!
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

guest sas

Postby guest sas » Tue, 30 Aug 2005 7:11 pm

That is true! Among Indians they consider black and white indians. For me most Indians look more or less same. Some are dark, some tall, some fair etc etc.

Postby Guest » Wed, 31 Aug 2005 1:36 pm

Interesting read.

I am an Indian and I see Indian race as one. A colleague once looked up my hair (I have afro-like hair with looser curls, but in adundance) and asked me if I have mixed parentage. She said that all Indians have straight hair. She also went on to say that the fairer Indians are a result of European invasion in the past and that they are all in the north.

I am not sure what to say really...except for like what sapphire said - if you havent been to India you have no clue how mixed it is. You will find all shades of people all over the place. I have studied in 7 different schools in 7 different parts of India and have never categorised myself as a South Indian or a North Indian.

Honestly, when I am asked if I am a South Indian or North Indian, I just repeat - I am from India. Full stop.

Indian race is perhaps a result of a lot of different races which explians its diversity but it has so many traditions and culture which binds them all.

It is probably the ONLY race with so many hues and yet has so many similarities. The colour of hair for instance. As for hair being curly, wavy, straight or bald it is in all races with the exception of Chinese and African.

I wouldnt bog you down with the cultural and traditional similarities but the passion it shares for Cricket will wipe out any sort of categorisation! All Indians use their hands to eat their food. You will receive teh same sort of hospitality in any region. The list goes on....

Visit India! You will be amazed at its diversity and realise that it has much more than the just the spectrum of complexion of skin it has.

Pardon me if I diverted from the topic, (a little I am sure) but couldnt help it. Havent been home in a while - missing it I guess. ;)

I by no means, represent anyone and each one of us have our own outlook and this was just mine.