Singapore Expats Forum

Advice on taking a job offer

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

curious_puppy

Advice on taking a job offer

Postby curious_puppy » Sat, 27 Aug 2005 6:26 pm

Hello,

I got a job offer from a Singapore company. I really want to take it and move to Singapore, but I got a potential problem. I have a 5-year old DUI (driving under influence) record in USA. Does it make me inadmissible to Singapore?

I've paid all my fines, completed programs, I'm no longer on suspension, etc. I didn't serve any jail time then (I did 3 days of community service though, so it's a bit of a gray area).

I intend to explain all that stuff along with Form 8, but since I have to accept an offer first, I'd like to know up front if I will be denied visa to save myself and my potential employer the trouble.

Does anyone here have the similar experience? What are your thoughts about it?

Thanks in advance

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 27 Aug 2005 6:50 pm

Really can't say positively as it's been many years since I got my PR. But I had a DUI in Louisiana about 2 years before coming to singapore (that said it was about 12 years before applying for PR however) I rather doubt it will effect your application and it is a traffic offense not a criminal offense (unless there was involuntary manslaughter attached to it).

sms

curious_puppy

Postby curious_puppy » Sat, 27 Aug 2005 7:59 pm

Thanks for the answer. There wasn't anything else to the case except DUI itself, although the bac was pretty high :(
Do you remember how you 'explained it on a separate sheet of paper' when you applied for a pass to Singapore back then? What information did you provide, what documents, etc?

Or maybe I shouldn't even specify the DUI in Form 8 since it's a traffic violation? I think I should though, since the question is 'Have you ever been convicted in any country', and I definetly was :(

Regards, cp

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Sat, 27 Aug 2005 8:57 pm

It's only a guess but I'd say that given that you've been clean for five years, and if the rest of your credentials and experience are good, and you employer is willing to go to bat, and you really want to come to Singapore, why not go for it? I know of people with felony convictions for pot (25 years ago) that have PR. I think it's more important what you are now, not what transpired way back when.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 27 Aug 2005 9:25 pm

curious_puppy wrote:Thanks for the answer. There wasn't anything else to the case except DUI itself, although the bac was pretty high :(
Do you remember how you 'explained it on a separate sheet of paper' when you applied for a pass to Singapore back then? What information did you provide, what documents, etc?

Or maybe I shouldn't even specify the DUI in Form 8 since it's a traffic violation? I think I should though, since the question is 'Have you ever been convicted in any country', and I definetly was :(

Regards, cp

I don't think I even bothered as I believe my understanding at the time it was for criminal offenses but I could be wrong.......Actually, just pulled it out (applied in 1990) and looked at the app. I had ticked no. So I am not much help.

Just went back and reread your original query. I know I've never put it down on my Employment Pass Applications prior to getting PR.

sms

curious_puppy

Postby curious_puppy » Sat, 27 Aug 2005 10:43 pm

Thanks for your replies, I think I'll take it. Now it's the matter of how to present it on my Employment Pass application....