Singapore Expats Forum

An Interesting Theory

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Strong Eagle

An Interesting Theory

Postby Strong Eagle » Thu, 25 Aug 2005 9:56 pm

Ever wonder where the police are in Singapore? I was talking to a guy tonight who thinks half of the taxi cab drivers are undercover police.

Consider... and this happens to me all the time... if you're an ang mo and you get into a taxi, the first thing that happens a lot of the time is the driver asks you where you are from and what you are doing. Could be simple chit chat... then again, could be checking you out.

And as I thought about it, there are a lot of taxi drivers who ask pretty much the same questions. Where are you from? How long have you been here? What do you do?

Coincidence? Comments appreciated.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Thu, 25 Aug 2005 10:26 pm

haha, cute theory SE. i think the cabbies and police are more enemy than friend. cabbies will flash their headlights after passing a traffic cop to warn all oncoming motorists, but especially other cabbies, to slow down... they are certainly on our side not the police's.

having said that, cabbies probably know the most about what's going on in singapore and would make the best spies. i'm guessing the cabbies are more affiliated with the grassroots leaders and politicians than with the police. how do you think the politicians know how the man in the street feels and thinks? who's doing all the groundwork?

anyway that's my own theory. if i disappear anytime soon you'll know that i've been exposed and was kidnapped by a cabbie and detained without trial... :-#

GuestGuest

Re: An Interesting Theory

Postby GuestGuest » Thu, 25 Aug 2005 10:44 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:Ever wonder where the police are in Singapore? I was talking to a guy tonight who thinks half of the taxi cab drivers are undercover police.

I second that, have always thought some could be, kinda like the cyclo drivers in Saigon

no conspiracy theories, but it makes sense

odd how everyone can jaywalk in in full sight front to the police station near my place and no one gets caught

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Postby banana » Fri, 26 Aug 2005 1:45 am

"he knows..."
some signatures are more equal than others

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: An Interesting Theory

Postby ksl » Fri, 26 Aug 2005 4:59 am

Strong Eagle wrote:Ever wonder where the police are in Singapore? I was talking to a guy tonight who thinks half of the taxi cab drivers are undercover police.

Consider... and this happens to me all the time... if you're an ang mo and you get into a taxi, the first thing that happens a lot of the time is the driver asks you where you are from and what you are doing. Could be simple chit chat... then again, could be checking you out.

And as I thought about it, there are a lot of taxi drivers who ask pretty much the same questions. Where are you from? How long have you been here? What do you do?

With 48500 taxi registered in Singapore and the crime rate so low, What better way for the government police authority, to supplement their budget.

But really I think wind in my hair is probably more right. I have been told that back in the 70's, Singapore was a mafia haven, I can remembr collecting our wages from the bank in armoured cars, simply because of the amount of crime against banks.

when Singapore started to clean up, a chosen few, mafia bosses were promoted into politics and police force, simply because these people knew everything and could control everything at street level.

All or most of the crime was cleaned up, along with the pimps, and shady would be gangsters. Almost every bar was a brothel or a gambling pit.

Promoting the Dons into the police force was a clever political move, another interesting theory. Back in the 70's i recall, the taxi drivers were in fact better informed than the tourist board, they could get you anything and everything for a price, and I did at the time sample the forbidden fruits of Sin City.

Singapore used to be a very vibrant entertainment City, today its very sterile, but safe.

A few of the taxi drivers also made comment to me about how they thought Singapore was just a Clean image for the world, and wasting money on National days, which none of the drivers I talked to had ever been to a national day.

Coincidence? That the newspaper said there was 48500 real millionairs in Singapore only a month or two ago. Could it be everyone is a Taxi driver?

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Baron Greenback » Fri, 26 Aug 2005 11:47 am

I doubt that taxi drivers are undercover cops. However I know that a lot of them are ex police, ex prison guards or ex civil servants in some way. I have been in a taxi & a message popped up on their little computer thingy to watch out for a chinese male about 5' 6", black hair, jeans (that narrows it down!) who had just robbed a woman. So I think the police use the eyes & ears of taxi drivers & as they are civil minded poeple they usually help when they can.

Asking where you are from, what you do etc I think is just chit chat in the hope of a tip.

Strong Eagle maybe you are a little paranoid? I can see by the look on your face that you are worried that I am watching you through your PC screen, don't worry I don't watch you all the time, there are others..... :wink:
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

Postby Guest » Fri, 26 Aug 2005 12:00 pm

I think taxi driver just practice their english language for free

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Fri, 26 Aug 2005 12:29 pm

I remember PM Lee calling on the cab drivers to help support the war on terror by keeping their eyes and ears open on suspicious persons being transported by them. I think that is as far as it goes: not being 'cops', but simply helping maintain Singapore as a safe and secure place, just like any Singapore citizen or inhabitant has the responsibility for being vigilant and support the 'social control'.

In a way we all are 'police cops', just being responsible for one another's safety.

In any country where you take a cab, 9 out of 10 cabbies would ask me or you: Hello sir, where are you from, what are you doing here?

Eric

newgirl
Regular
Regular

Postby newgirl » Fri, 26 Aug 2005 1:07 pm

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:
9 out of 10 cabbies...
Eric

Prefer kit-e-cat??? Sorry, I could not resist. :P

Taxi drivers, like haidressers the world over have the same chat!

riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

Postby riversandlakes » Fri, 26 Aug 2005 1:09 pm

i've been asked that almost every time i take a cab here. paranoia aside, i think a good conversation makes a long tiresome journey short...
Goatboy will always cherish his former goatgirl.
But the world is full of fluffier ones.