Singapore Expats Forum

tenant issue

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

pin

tenant issue

Postby pin » Thu, 25 Aug 2005 12:51 pm

Hi

I have a tenant who stays with me less than 2 weeks and i can 't seem to adapt to her culture. She is supposed to be on a 4 1/2 month stay as she is doing her internship in Singapore.

Do you think I can terminate her contact by asking her to relook for another room?

tks
pin

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Baron Greenback » Thu, 25 Aug 2005 12:55 pm

If you have a contract in place you must honour that contract. If you try to break it early there will be a clause in your contract that will say what renumeration you must give for early termination.

What is it about her 'culture' that you find so offensive?

It may be that in teh contract there will be a 'get out' clause that if she is being too noisy or disruptive you can ask her to leave without renumeration.
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

pin

tenant issue

Postby pin » Thu, 25 Aug 2005 3:25 pm

Hi

Thanks for your advise. I wouldn't said that her culture is offensive. It is just getting me craze of advising her the do and don't which really take up a lot of my time.

Moreover as i already emphasized that I will not entertain overstaying friend in the contact, she still try her luck of getting approval from me for allowing her boyfriend to download his stuff at my place when he is in town.

I will really look bad if I will to ask her to go but I will get breakdown if I will to continue to stay with her. She doesn't seems to understand that as a tenant, she should be respecting and honor the contact statement within the agreement.

Will there be an amicable way of settle this issue with her?

Rgds
Pin

but

pin

tenant issue

Postby pin » Thu, 25 Aug 2005 3:30 pm

By the way, I don't have any problem with my other tenant. We have been staying under one roof for quite a while. Even till today, i stay appreciate my other tenant. Only this internship tenant which is a real headache.

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Baron Greenback » Thu, 25 Aug 2005 3:33 pm

Just have a talk with them & let them know how you feel. With any luck they will respect your wishes & it will work itself out. If they ignore you then you can look at getting rid of them & it will not be a shock
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."

Hemingway

pin

tenant issue

Postby pin » Thu, 25 Aug 2005 4:03 pm

Thanks, can you advise how should I make my statement more firm to her, I really felt very helpless of trying to discuss all this issue with her, as she doesn't seem to register it.

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Thu, 25 Aug 2005 5:19 pm

You can only be taken advantage of if you permit yourself to be taken advantage of.

It's time to stop being the "nice" guy or girl and lay down the law. Do it in four parts, without anger.

1) The data: What is it that she is doing?
2) Your feelings: What does it make you feel when she does this? You must have feelings, else you wouldn't have energy about it.
3) Your judgments: For example, "I judge that you don't care about the rules I laid down when I rented you the place."
4) Your wants: I want you to start following the rules we agreed upon or move out.

Make it clear, make it all business. Don't get dragged into side issues.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Thu, 25 Aug 2005 5:28 pm

great advice there from SE. in fact that does not apply just to this problem but to resolving conflicts in general.

Postby Guest » Thu, 25 Aug 2005 5:36 pm

all landlords is sucks, I paid extra money for air-con and many more,
worse landlords from HongKong